Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to work in a grocery store, and I do know that at least in PA, EBT cards have two sides, one for food only and another that works like a limited debit card you can use on whatever or get cash back with.

And yes, I used to see all types of people with them... you never know what people's lives are, but it always annoyed me to no end to see people either eat better than I do or come in dressed in clothing better than I ever owned and still have the card. It seems a bit... unfair. *ducks the "life isn't fair" comments sure to be aimed her way*
    Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
      It seems a bit... unfair. *ducks the "life isn't fair" comments sure to be aimed her way*
      "Life isn't fair, but why can't it ever be unfair in my favour?"

I wish I could remember where I heard that.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
        No diapers/toilet paper/detergent/et al.
        I would have though those were fairly essential.

What does EBT stand for BTW?
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          I would have though those were fairly essential.

What does EBT stand for BTW?
          EBT stands for "electronic benefits transfer" ... basically instead of paper food stamps, the value of the food stamps is loaded onto a card. This has two benefits... First, the cards are a lot easier to administer, instead of sending out a book of stamps every month, just credit the cards.

The second "benefit" is that the person using the EBT card doesnt feel bad that they are using the card... the brochure for the card says "nobody but you and the cashier knows you're using EBT... to everyone else it looks like you are using a credit card just like everyone else!"

In fact, in Maine, if you are in a store and you page a supervisor, it is illegal to announce that its for WIC, EBT or foodstamps etc, so I'm told.

-Wembley
          Originally Posted by edible_hat
          (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

Okay. Thanks.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I'm not going to post about EBT "abuses"...those types of posts shut threads down.

No wonder the person returned the movies in the overnight slot. Probably didn't want to be there when the baby oil was discovered.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I think a lot of people missed that these movies were rented from a LIBRARY, not a retail video store. You can't get movies on EBT at Blockbuster, even in Hawaii.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  "Life isn't fair, but why can't it ever be unfair in my favour?"

I wish I could remember where I heard that.
                  Calvin & Hobbes?
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

That sounds right to me.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Calvin & Hobbes?
                      Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      That sounds right to me.
                      Does sound right. And Irv, you WOULD be the one to figure that out then, wouldn't you?
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth i4wolves View Post
                        I think from now on I am going to get pregnent
                        Need help?

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                        I'm not going to post about EBT "abuses"...those types of posts shut threads down.
                        Only when it descends into attacking people on welfare as a whole. Can't see any problems here.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Ill_Used_Heroine View Post
                          Ok, here's a list of the DVDs:

A Lot Like Love
                          Little Black Book
                          Selena
                          Scooby-Doo
                          Scooby-Doo 2
                          Land Has Eyes
                          Material Girls
                          RV
                          Poseidon
                          Cheetah Girls 2
                          High School Musical
                          In the Mix
                          That list seems to spell "single mother" to me. Some for her, some for the kids. I'll bet that when she checked them out, she was thinking that she would get some calm for as many hours as the titles' running time.

Seems to be a young mother. A more experienced mom would know that with kids of various ages (the titles reflect that as well. At least one tween female with at least one younger brother), one of them will do something between checkout and return.

Also, it appears as though she's either in a broken relationship or in between (See "RV" and "Poseidon").

Based on this information, I can only feel sorry for her and hope that someone shows her a little compassion.

I've been wrong before, though. When I am, it's "Up = Down" kinda wrong. If that's the case in this instance, feel free to make jokes about her uterus next time you see her.
                          Last edited by Koliedrus; 07-22-2007, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                            Only when it descends into attacking people on welfare as a whole. Can't see any problems here.
                            Just doing my part to ensure it doesn't happen.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                              I think a lot of people missed that these movies were rented from a LIBRARY, not a retail video store. You can't get movies on EBT at Blockbuster, even in Hawaii.
                              I've never rented movies from the library, but I have borrowed movies from the library. I didn't realize that some libraries rent movies out to patrons. Of course, I live in town, just a few blocks down from the local library, in fact, and so I have a card on which I borrow books and other materials available on loan.

It just goes to show that everyday is a new learning experience.
                              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X