This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with a clerk from another store

I got some coupons for Camel Snus in the mail. They expire in November. I'm always good about checking the details on coupons since that's a part of my job at the c-store. So, I'm confident I know how things should work in the following situation.

I live closer to another c-store owned by the same chain as my store, so I know how we handle coupons. We don't scan them in, we just enter the value of the coupon manually. This store has new register systems that will eventually be installed in all stores. My store still has the older Ruby systems, but the procedure is still the same.

So, I tear off a buy one can, get one can coupon, stick it in my wallet, and go. I arrive at the store. The clerk on duty doesn't even speak to acknowledge me. I'm not always the friendliest at work, but I will at least say hi if nothing else. The only exceptions are regular customers who always seem to act like douchebags. He just looks at me as if he'd rather not be bothered.

I don't care because I know how I sometimes feel about being at work. I do my job regardless, and try to at least be professional to customers even if I don't feel friendly. I walk up to the counter, say hi, and tell him I have a coupon and what I want. He grabs the cans without saying a word. Meanwhile, I fish out my ID so that he can type my birthdate. He still hasn't spoken one word. I hand him the coupon. He looks at it, and scans it. As I mentioned before, we don't scan coupons. We enter them manually. The coupon is not recognized by the scanner, and returns an error message. He informs me he can't use it, and sits it on the counter in front of me.

I keep in mind that the new registers might operate differently, but explain to him that I work at another of the company's stores and we enter coupons manually at my store. I offer to talk him through it, but he just repeats that he can't use it because it's not recognized for the purchase. I pretend to look at the coupon even though I already know the information on it, and point out the expiration date. I again offer to talk him through a manual transaction without seeming pushy, and assure him it's not a hard process. The attitude was starting to annoy me since I knew what could be done, and he didn't seem willing to at least try.

He just repeated that the coupon won't scan, so he can't take it. I pointed out again that coupons are entered manually on the older systems, so it might work the same on the newer ones. He then said I'd have to talk to the manager. I know the manager at that store. I've worked for the company long enough that I know most of the managers and employees at the other stores around town. So, I did make a point of mentioning her name (Kasi) when I asked if she'd be working tomorrow. He just stood there looking at me with this really nasty expression. I was never rude or impatient, but the attitude was grating on my last nerve. I just grabbed my coupon, and walked out. Had I not worked for the company, I would have left as soon as he declined the coupon. However, I thought perhaps I could show him another way of doing something on his job that might prove helpful later. I have my shortcuts for getting things done, after all.

I was planning to go to Wal-Mart anyway, so I just got my snus at the MurphyUSA. There was no problem using my coupons there, and the clerks were much more friendly. I never did follow up with Kasi, the manager at the other store, because it was not that big of a deal even though I thought the clerk had a rotten attitude. However, I did ask my manager later if the coupons would be entered differently on the new systems since she has helped out at a few of the stores using them. She said everything is basically the same. So, I was right.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I would still tell the other manager he needs some further training on the new system as its causing the store legitimate sales.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I've run into similar problems where stores refuse to honor coupons the put in weekly in the biggest newspaper in the city. The store is located in the same city, so location is no excuse.

Its a couple for a not insignificant amount of money off a pizza and salad buffet at a chain known for its circular tables. However when I try to use the coupon there the person very casually goes "oh we don't take those here."

Yes, that is a word for word quote.

How do you deal with this?

Comment

exactly.
        he won't learn if he continues to be a prick

so far all he's learned is that if he says "no" to a legitimate request ... he'll win.
        so the next time someone tries to use a coupon he will pull the same stuff... and they might be less forgiving than you.

it's better he learns now from a gentle hand... instead of having an SC screaming.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
          Yes, that is a word for word quote.

How do you deal with this?
          is "at participating locations" on the coupon? Might be why they don't take them

edit: aw shit patiokitty beat me
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
            I never did follow up with Kasi, the manager at the other store, because it was not that big of a deal even though I thought the clerk had a rotten attitude.
            No, no, this is kind of a big deal.

They've got a clerk who is surly, rude, and just plain incompetent. If I were a manager, you'd bet I'd want to know about it.
            Quoth Hyndis View Post
            Its a couple for a not insignificant amount of money off a pizza and salad buffet at a chain known for its circular tables. However when I try to use the coupon there the person very casually goes "oh we don't take those here."
            I'm with the others. That's likely a case of "at participating locations, only."

We've got a Circular Counter pizza nearby that takes no coupons, ever. Because they're in a mall in a very busy area and get all the business they can handle, already, so there's no point in them losing money to get more business they can't actually serve.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

though... if you're on first name terms with the manager ... it's likely you also know whether or not they're participating

Comment

Aww...it does say at participating locations only.

So that is just a blanket caveat that any store can ignore the coupon if it wants to? Then what good is the coupon?

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                  So that is just a blanket caveat that any store can ignore the coupon if it wants to? Then what good is the coupon?
                  Usually, most stores will participate in the specials because they know it will bring more bodies in the door, and more bodies today might mean more bodies tomorrow when the special is over.

Your best bet is to call around to find out which of your local locations participates, and then go use it there.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Also, it might be a corporate-owned/franchise deal. If a corporation issues coupons, franchised stores can decide whether or not to honor them. It also works the other way.

Comment

Working...
                    X