This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idiocy at the orange apron

So, I bought a set of locks for a closet door on the patio of the condo, and after trying to rekey them to the house key, they locked up, and quit working. Support sent me to the Orange Apron, even though I bought them at Blue Apron.

After almost being killed on the freeway (story for a different forum), I made it to Orange Apron. I should have known better than to let the guy touch my locks, but oh well.

OA: +3 Orange Apron of fail.
    Me: Now equipped with +5 beard of leet.

OA: I don't know much about these...*puts lock into reset mechanism*
    Me: As long as it starts working, no worries.
    OA: *calls for help when reset mechanism doesn't work...unsurprisingly, after not following the instructions.*
    OA: Let's try this...
    Lock: *SPROING!*
    Both: *watches as 20 pieces from the lock go flying all over the keymaking booth*
    OA: Err....*picks up pieces, puts them in a bag* You should probably go to another Orange Apron, and see if they can fix this.
    Me: ...How about I just go to blue apron instead...

I quickly walked out, went to blue apron, where I should have gone in the first place. I only seem to run into either the newbies who think they know what they're doing, or the more dangerous ones that make a mess for everyone else to clean up after at OA. BA has always been much better about that, plus they're far closer to where I live, so I go there instead.

Lady at Blue Apron took one look at the baggie of parts from the lock, shook her head, and said there was no way to put it back together, and replaced it as defective for me.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Well on the plus side (if there is a plus side), I bet the employee's face was pretty priceless when the pieces when flying everywhere.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
      OA: I don't know much about these...
      That's when you stop what you're doing and find someone who does.
      "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        Well on the plus side (if there is a plus side), I bet the employee's face was pretty priceless when the pieces when flying everywhere.
        Sadly, the guy kept the same slackjawed look on his face the entire time. :-(

Comment

I'm sorry, but at that point, you should have called the manager. That twit destroyed your personal property because he had no idea what he was doing. Orange Apron should have been the ones to replace the lock as an apology for the moron.
          Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
          Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

Quoth terakhan View Post
            I'm sorry, but at that point, you should have called the manager. That twit destroyed your personal property because he had no idea what he was doing. Orange Apron should have been the ones to replace the lock as an apology for the moron.
            I asked for a manager, but I got a corroborating story from 2 other OA employees that no manager was around. I suspect they were covering for +3 OA of fail, but can't prove it, and was tired from having worked on various heavy household projects (like the new solid core door dad and I installed, redoing the motor mounts on the Jeep, and other heavy items, and didn't feel like dealing with it right then and there.) I wanted to just go home and have dinner.

Comment

At least Blue Apron took care of it. Now you not only have a story to tell, but you know where to shop from here on out.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
                OA: I don't know much about these...*puts lock into reset mechanism*
                Famous last words... I'm amazed you didn't have a chat with his supervisor.
                Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I would suggest calling in and having a chat with a manager about it.

Make it more of a, "Your guy has no idea what he's doing and actually ruined my lock, which your competitor took care of for me," thing.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    Make it more of a, "Your guy has no idea what he's doing and actually ruined my lock, which your competitor took care of for me," thing.

^-.-^
                    Good idea. I'll do it Monday when I'll likely have a chance.

Comment

First rule of taking apart a lock that you've never worked on before: Work with the lock and your hands inside a large clear plastic bag. This way when the inevitable happens, you'll at least have all the parts and won't have to go searching in dark corners for stuff that went sproing and disappeared. There was on certain auto locks a springloaded ball bearing for a center detent (we called it the Mercedes Missile, but BMWs and Mazdas had them too) which would 100% of the time go flying across the shop and vanish as soon as you took out the plug. Fortunately the rekeying kit came with an extra ball bearing.

Comment

Working...
                      X