Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when a store has a costume party your suppose to dress up!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when a store has a costume party your suppose to dress up!

im gonna rant for the good people over at the walden books where they had a midnight release party. the flyer said dress in ball attire, or as your fave harry potter character.

well with me and my friend only 4 dressed up in actual costumes. 2 wore witches hats, and 5 wore funny glasses.

proof...

the line of no funions who did not dress (you can see one of the witch hat girls though)

girls with funny glasses

the adorable harry, (pic taken with permission of mommy) I dont have a pic of the other kid who dressed sorry)

me and my friend (apparently i looked like bellatrix lastrange so thats who i was named as for the costume contest) harry won by the way, and deservingly so.

yah so out of about 100 people or so, only 4 people dressed what kind of a turnout is that for a costume party
    "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

You guys looked great! Did you feel funny that hardly anyone else came in costume or formally dressed?

I hate the fact that people are willing to wear those fake Harry glasses, and that's it. Hell, the stores give those out, so what kind of effort is that? That's why I don't bother with Halloween at the library, cause I can make a huge effort with all the crap I've saved over the years, but if no one else does ... well, I don't have the confidence to pull it alone.
    I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

I would have gone as Bellatrix, personally; I have the dress!

And that sucks; people shouldn't be allowed in unless they've made an effort; or have a door charge that is waived for people abiding by the rules.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Did the flyer say fancy attire or costume REQUIRED? Cause I know most of the book stores I saw / heard of doing midnight releases had costume parties and contests but it wasn't *required*. I sure didn't go in costume (though I guess I could claim to have been Ginny out of school; I look like her anyway ).

I see no reason to require people to wear costumes and no reason why not wearing a cosutme makes you any less fun or less of a fan. If you're there are midnight to get a book, you're probably a pretty big fan. I don't need to prove my love of the series to anyone by spending money I might not have on clothes I'll never wear anywhere else.
        "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
          Did the flyer say fancy attire or costume REQUIRED? Cause I know most of the book stores I saw / heard of doing midnight releases had costume parties and contests but it wasn't *required*. I sure didn't go in costume (though I guess I could claim to have been Ginny out of school; I look like her anyway ).

I see no reason to require people to wear costumes and no reason why not wearing a cosutme makes you any less fun or less of a fan. If you're there are midnight to get a book, you're probably a pretty big fan. I don't need to prove my love of the series to anyone by spending money I might not have on clothes I'll never wear anywhere else.
          No, it's not required, but it does make it that more enjoyable. Especially when you can compete for prizes; really really nice prizes. Like a $100 gift card. Free food/drink from the cafe, that sort of thing.

The Borders near us had a nice bash. It was the only Borders I knew of around here that had a replica of the dragon bones hanging from the ceiling, as well as a flying owl.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
            No, it's not required, but it does make it that more enjoyable. Especially when you can compete for prizes; really really nice prizes. Like a $100 gift card. Free food/drink from the cafe, that sort of thing.
            While I agree (I did go in costume to the release parties for four, five, and six), I still maintain that not being in costume being the sole crime does not make someone an SC.
            "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

We had a lot of people in costume...or at least wearing robes. One of the employees was wearing his old school uniform and just got a tie in the right colors, with a graduation gown for a robe. Lots of girls in plaid skirts and knee socks. A few women in Bellatrix costumes. I just wore jeans and a black t-shirt (in my defense I had to go there straight from work) and I borrowed someone's extra "robe" they had. I also got one of the baseball caps with the Hogwarts logo and also a button. But I was outside most of the night checking off reservations and handing out wristbands. Which was what I was hoping to be doing. It was nice out and except for a few wind gusts that threatened to blow away the wristbands it was fun. Then at midnight I was a box opener/bagger for one of the cashiers (and managed to twist my knee twice climbing over boxes and people - 7 cashiers/7 baggers/I don't know how many boxes in a space about 4-5 feet wide). The store has a max capacity of 750 and they had a line from the front door down to the pizza place 4 stores down waiting for people to leave so they could let more in. They had 2 security guards and 1 cop there the whole night. The manager said they sold over 1100 books, and that's not even counting the people who reserved and will go today or tomorrow (they hold the reserves till Sunday and I'm sure some people got their wristbands and decided not to stay).

One of the guys made a whole bunch of buttons...Hogwarts logo (I wore one of those instead of a name tag on my lanyard), the different houses, various characters (including ones with Snape that said either "good" or "evil" so you could make your opinion known). They even got fortune cookies made with funny fortunes...mine said "Never tickle a sleeping giant."

We actually were done with the line by 1:30. I was surprised. I knew it would go fast once they got going, but I was figuring at least 2-2:30. I stayed until 3 helping to clean up (which I didn't have to do) and got home at 3:30. It was an absolute disaster area and I was only doing magazines for over an hour. Of course I was so wired on sugar, caffeine, and adrenaline I didn't get to sleep until 5. I woke up around 10, was awake for a bit, and went back to sleep. Next thing I know it's almost 5pm, and then the next thing I know it's almost 6. So I dragged myself up and into the shower. It's 7:15 now and all I have "eaten" today is a soda, 2 advil, and a pseudafed....

Surprisingly enough, though...no real SCs. A few people were ranting a bit about not getting into the store and what was the point of the numbering system if they won't even let us in and blah blah blah, but they weren't talking to me and if they were I'd have pointed them to the big guy in the black suit, or the uniformed cop, and said "Take it up with him."
              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-22-2007, 12:07 AM.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

thanks, it was not required to dress, and no you dont need dress up to be considered a fan. but it is good fun,

i did feel a bit strange being the only one, although it has happend that i am usually the only one dressing up. lets say at the HALLOWEEN store, i have worked there for 2 years, and you know what i for the last 2 years am the only one who has come in costume on halloween. i called them all a bunch of bah humbugs. so they went in to the damaged costume area and put on wings and horns ect. but i was also known for wearing costumes the whole time i would walk around in a robe or horns or witches hat. whats funny is that people would see me wearing the stuff and ask where to find it, eventually all the items that i wore sold out completely both years i did it. you would think that others would do the same hmmmmmmm.

anyway...

if i had thought that i would be bellatrix i would have worn my black ritual robe it would have been perfect for it. i actually thought about wearing it but i thought it wouldnt be too potterish so i went with the ball gown because they said ball attire and i was thinking they were thinking about the yule ball thing.
                "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Oh, yeah, and I even had a customer named Potter come to get her wristband. I would have laughed if her name turned out to be Lily
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well, costumes shouldn't be required, but I can understand it's irritating being the only one or one of a very few who dress up for what is supposed to be a costume party. You feel like a peacock in a flock of pigeons.

It's like Halloween. Kids come to your door in cute costumes and receive treats for their effort. Then you have some twit in ordinary everyday clothes, claiming he's a "street person" or "undercover cop" or "a homicidal maniac, they look just like everyone else". They put no effort or thought into their attire, yet expect to be rewarded like the kids who do. It spoils the fun.

Besides, it's fun to put on a costume and playact as someone else for a while! The mundanes who think it's beneath them to dress up will never understand it.
                    Last edited by XCashier; 07-22-2007, 05:23 AM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I had a lot of fun on Friday. I dressed as a dementor, met a few people, and got a free poster with my book. There was a guy walking around dressed as Hagrid and him and I had our pics taken way too much. A lot of fun it was.
                      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Last night, on my daily mallwalk....

At the Mall of America, it was almost like a mini-convention! All those HP fans gathered, many in costume, and there were activities too like a sorting hat, tarot reading, palm reading, and even a roleplay table.

Tonight when I went back for my daily mallwalk, I actually got twinges of post-con depression.

...and I'm not even a HP fan....
                        DJ Particle

Comment

My Location was swamped. Crap, some were so intricately dressed, I could swear I was at AX or Otakucon.

Comment

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
                            While I agree (I did go in costume to the release parties for four, five, and six), I still maintain that not being in costume being the sole crime does not make someone an SC.
                            I never said it was a crime or that those that didn't were SCs. I was simply reiterating that the costumes weren't a requirement.

When SO and I went out Friday night, we passed quite a few B&Ns as well as Borders. A majority of the people weren't dressed up at all. It looked as if the staff really were the ones making any sort of effort at all.

I just know from looking at the fliers at our local Borders that they were giving away some great prizes. If SO didn't have such an issue with crowds, I think we would have gone to the party. I could have at least coaxed him into wearing his Order of the Phoenix shirt he got from Hot Topic.
                            Random conversation:
                            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

none of them were sc's in the literal sense, but i could see the frustration in the employees eyes because so few were dressed up. they passed out flyers and even sent out email notifications to the people who had reserved a copy about the midnight release party.

Comment

Working...
                              X