This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas station stupidity and bonus story

Gas is pretty low where I live (2.43 at the station I was at and I think the regional average is about 2.39-2.41/gal for 87 octane).

As I was getting gas at the QT today, I noticed the truck behind me had his engine on while he was fueling up. I'm pretty sure those of you who work at gas stations know that's a huge problem. As I'm fueling up, I hear over the intercom someone from inside asking the guy at the pump to turn off his engine. He ignores and keeps pumping. Another request comes over the intercom, this time telling him that if he doesn't turn his engine off, the pump will be shut off. I'm sure as you've guessed, he didn't turn off his engine.

What comes next is a slew of cursing and profanity as the guy yells at the pump (which I figure later he'd pressed the HELP button and started talking). A few seconds later one of the clerks comes out and talks to him, telling him that he needs to have his engine off. He continues to curse and swear and slams the hose back onto the pump and jumps into his truck, peeling off. He just narrowly misses hitting my car and the clerk stands there looking helpless.

She says something like "I don't get people like that. I guess he'll be coming back later because he paid cash for his gas and his change is still in the store." I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that encounter.

Bonus:

As I was on my way home, my cell phone went off. It was AT&T asking for someone who was obviously not me. I tell the guy he's got the wrong number, but he insists he's got the right one. I tell him again it's the wrong number and hang up. A few seconds later, the same number pops up on my phone and I ignore it. It goes to voicemail where he leaves a message about how he's sorry he called the wrong number, but I didn't have to be such a bitch about it. WTF?
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
    She says something like "I don't get people like that. I guess he'll be coming back later because he paid cash for his gas and his change is still in the store." I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that encounter.
    I'm just guessing here, but I figure the guy was trying to scam you guys out of more gas by having the vehicle consome more while pumping. Maybe in order to get more gas than what he paid for. It sounds like a dangerous thing to do so the guy is also an idiot.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
      I'm just guessing here, but I figure the guy was trying to scam you guys out of more gas by having the vehicle consome more while pumping. Maybe in order to get more gas than what he paid for. It sounds like a dangerous thing to do so the guy is also an idiot.
      Pretty bad scam. He paid cash, so the pump would turn off when that amount is pumped. Meanwhile, he's just wasting his own gas by letting the vehicle run. I doubt a car can suck more gas than the monitor will read just because it's running.

Might fling a spark and send everyone to their Reward in a blaze of gory, but that's about it. (Yes, I meant "gory".)
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Gas is pretty low where I live (2.43 at the station I was at and I think the regional average is about 2.39-2.41/gal for 87 octane).
        Dangit. And here I was excited to get gas for 2.68 the other day.

As I'm fueling up, I hear over the intercom someone from inside asking the guy at the pump to turn off his engine. He ignores and keeps pumping.
        One time I was pumping gas and heard the distinctive sound of someone's engine running. I wondered who the idiot was who was pumping gas with their engine running only to get back in my car and find out it was me. I was so tired I completely forgot to turn off my car.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I'd call AT&T and have them have a talk with that rep.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I'd take that VM to an AT&T store and log my complaint there, unless you can conference a manager in to hear it or make a recording of it. Just don't delete it.

Comment

I know the Uverse support through Telvista for ATT doesn't record calls and I've heard ATT in general doesn't, so it may be good to keep it so you can play it for a sup.

Comment

Does anyone who which department calls out of the 405 area code?

There's an AT&T store right by my house. I'll probably stop there tomorrow and put in a complaint. I know that missed dialed calls happen, but when you tell the guy that it's not the right number, one would think they'd take it graciously and not argue. I already don't like AT&T as it is, but I stick with them because it makes DDD happy and we honestly can't stand Charter.
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I've pumped gas with my engine running before. On purpose, even. My car wouldn't start without popping the clutch, so once it was running, it stayed running until I got to my destination.

But if a station didn't want to let me keep my car running while I filled up, I'd just take my business elsewhere. There are plenty of other places that don't care one way or the other. *shrug*

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yikes, AT&T reps are cussing at people now. Great.

So glad my family is rid of them.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It was AT&T asking for someone who was obviously not me.
                      an AT&T employee called you a bitch?

Hell I'd say ... if there's caller ID on that, call up the company and file a complaint.

Comment

I wonder if this was someone who was trying to sell something. You know the kind "Oh, in that case can I please speak to the homeowner?"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          I've pumped gas with my engine running before. On purpose, even. My car wouldn't start without popping the clutch, so once it was running, it stayed running until I got to my destination.

But if a station didn't want to let me keep my car running while I filled up, I'd just take my business elsewhere. There are plenty of other places that don't care one way or the other. *shrug*

^-.-^

BIG Bada-boom!

Only thing more dangerous than fueling a running vehicle? Smoking a cigarette while filling up. (I've passed by gas stations where I see someone doing so -- a tank of gas just isn't worth my life!)
                          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                            BIG Bada-boom!

Only thing more dangerous than fueling a running vehicle? Smoking a cigarette while filling up. (I've passed by gas stations where I see someone doing so -- a tank of gas just isn't worth my life!)
                            I'd really like to see some evidence of this one. I've looked and couldn't find anything.

Cigarettes, sure, although rare. And far more dangerous than that is static electricity, and that one is actually becoming more common. They're not sure why, but it might have to do with a combination of changes in fuel, changes in tire composition, changes in court composition, changes in shoe materials, and changes in car body composition. No matter, though, it's definitely something to be aware and wary of.

As for cars left running while fueling up, I'd be happy with just an explanation of why a running car would be any more dangerous when you're putting fuel in it then when it was driving by within a foot of someone else putting fuel in theirs. What mechanism would make it any more dangerous?

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              As for cars left running while fueling up, I'd be happy with just an explanation of why a running car would be any more dangerous when you're putting fuel in it then when it was driving by within a foot of someone else putting fuel in theirs. What mechanism would make it any more dangerous?
                              It's a time thing. If you leave your car running while you're fuelling up you have that much more time with engine running + cloud of fumes. If you just drive away there's significantly less time for this to happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X