This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feuding customers

Now that I'm back in school, I only work two days a week at the c-store, Friday evenings and Sunday day shift. We have two regular customers who always come in during my Sunday morning shifts, Charlie and Carl. They do not get along!

Both men are retirees who basically have nothing better to do with their time than be nosey. Both men are also very opinionated, and vocal about their opinions. I get along with both of them, but they mainly come in to pester the manager while she does her paperwork.

Charlie is very opinionated, especially when it comes to politics, and he doesn't care who gets offended when he spouts his opinions. He happens to be a diehard Democrat, so Republicans are to blame for everything wrong with this country, in his opinion. Essentially, he has opinions on any topic, and is willing to share them with everyone. He also likes to instigate debates, get people stirred up, then stand back and laugh at them. Charlie has pretty much appointed himself the unofficial greeter, which annoys some of my coworkers. Some of the female coworkers also find him annoying because he does like to hit on them, but he'll back off if they tell him to stop. Sometimes I get annoyed with him if I'm not in the mood to talk, but otherwise find him amusing. Also, since I have little interest in politics, I tend to ignore the political rants other than to make wisecracks about all politicians being "Republicrats," as I have started calling them just for Charlie's benefit. In short, Charlie has too much free time on his hands, but is harmless enough. Most of my interactions with him involve making wisecracks about everything, and listening to his jokes.

I see Carl less often, so I don't know as much about him. I know he used to work for the power board because he often mentions it. He gets a Sunday paper and coffee, and sometimes gas, when he visits. The only other thing I know about Carl is that his son is one of the city cops.

Charlie and Carl do not get along because Charlie made some snide remarks about the city cops one day while Carl was in the store. I was not there when it happened, but the manager said Charlie and Carl exchanged a few nasty words over it.

So, for some time now, it's been part of the Sunday morning ritual for Carl to try to avoid Charlie. Charlie often stops for coffee and hangs out before he goes to church on Sunday mornings. If Carl sees Charlies car in the parking lot, he'll keep on going, and just circle until Charlie leaves. So, part of the Sunday morning ritual at the store is to listen to Charlie cackle about seeing Carl circle the store. Charlie will usually leave after Carl has circled a couple of times so Carl doesn't have to keep circling.

The story goes that Charlie just laughs about the whole situation while Carl still holds a grudge. The manager has told both of them that she doesn't want to be drug into playing referee, both of them are welcome as long as they keep in line. Charlie said it's not a big deal to him even though he likes to egg it on a little.

This past Sunday before I got to work, Charlie had brought a book about his family's history, and was showing it to the manager. As I said, Charlie usually leaves after letting Carl circle a few times. Since he was showing the manager his family history book this time, he stuck around. I guess Carl finally got tired of circling until Charlie left. Manager said he pulled into one of the front parking spaces, and actually waited until Charlie left. When Carl finally came into the store, he informed the manager that he wouldn't be coming back again. He never really made it clear to her why he was not coming back again.

When I got to work, the manager told me about it. I looked at her puzzled, and asked what the big deal was. I already knew about the feud between Charlie and Carl. That was old news. She said that the only thing she could figure was that his problem had to do with the feud, and that Charlie didn't leave quick enough to suit him. She was just as puzzled about it, but told him that it was his decision. She said she didn't care enough about the nonsense to ask Carl why he told her that.

People often make me wonder when I'm at work. Then again, I really don't want to know what's up with the people who make me wonder. For me, it's just another day in paradise.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I don't blame your boss or you for not really getting involved in their feud, I'm the same way, we have alot of familiar customers that come into my store (it's a small town) and the way I see it, why would I want to get involved in my customers drama when I have my own goin on? Sorry people, I could care less that your neighbor and former friend over in aisle 2 stole your snow shovel and now you hate each other..blah blah blah. I'm at work, not starring on a soap opera, lol.

Comment

I suspect that Carl took a "if they're not on my side they're on his side" attitude towards it. If your store won't kick Charlie out for him, clearly your store doesn't want his business - you have chosen Charlie over Carl.

Me? I say good riddance to Carl.

Comment

Working...
      X