Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I'm ready to throttle Winamp.

Backstory- I recently upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. Because I, at the same time, upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit, this required me to do a fresh install. So far, I've run into very few problems. I'm getting a particular error when I try to install some game apps, but that's not the purpose of this post.

The purpose of this post is Winamp. I reinstalled it and, by some miracle, all of my playlists were intact. Or, at least, I thought they were. It turns out that everything routed to 'Users/Main User/Music', which was where all my music was stored pre-upgrade. Thus, though the lists were there, nothing was actually playing.

I have since re-synched all of my music so everything will play but, because they were made pre-upgrade, the file paths are all wrong in the playlists themselves. Is there a way to fix this without having to do each and every song individually or remaking the playlists entirely? @_@ There are some that I don't mind remaking because I've been meaning to prune them anyway, but others? Yeeeeeeeeaaaaah, that's going to be a nightmare-and-a-half.
    Last edited by firecat88; 09-05-2014, 07:28 AM.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Winamp has stopped getting supported sadly which means that although you can install it or re-install it, they can't do anything to fix bugs.

This also means their brilliant auto-tag feature is out of action (a feature I loved using for tagging ripped CDs). I would imagine that this has also killed other facilities too including their playlists system.

I've started using another piece of software called Media Monkey. It's a bit more cumbersome than Winamp sadly but seems more powerful. Might be worth looking at?

Comment

Quoth retro View Post
      Winamp has stopped getting supported sadly
      Ohhhh...poopy. I genuinely forgot about that.

It's unfortunate because I've been using Winamp for years. @_@ It's so much easier for me to work with than WMP or iTunes.
      Last edited by firecat88; 09-05-2014, 04:24 PM.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Open the playlist(s) in a text editor and do a 'search and replace all' substituting the new path for the old one?

Ex. -

Find:
        C:\Users\Main User\Music

Replace with:
        C:\ThisPC\Documents\Music

Comment

Thankyouthankyouthankyou. Everything works again! You have no idea how ridiculously happy this makes me.
          Last edited by firecat88; 09-05-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I seem to recall there being all sorts of news out about WinAmp basically shutting down at the end of last year, but that they somehow pulled something out of their ass to keep the project going in some form. Not really sure on the details, tho I'm glad it did keep going, even if only for a short while. I have been a fan of whipping that llama's ass for many, many years

Can anyone please elaborate?
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It was sold (alongside Shoutcast) and sold to Radionomy.

Shoutcast is being intergrated into Radionomy's systems and at the moment - from a broadcaster point of view - has had a few dips in uptime and very little communication. Winamp has also been mucking about a lot.
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
                welcomewelcomewelcome.

I cling to a lot of old programs (ProWrite, PaintShopPro, etc.) and dread the day when I lose one, so I'm glad you can get a little more use out of your fav.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  I cling to a lot of old programs (ProWrite, PaintShopPro, etc.) and dread the day when I lose one, so I'm glad you can get a little more use out of your fav.
                  I love old programs. I still use the old Treeview v. 1.0 file management program. It was written for MSDOS 3.0.

I also use Paintshop Pro v. 7.0.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    Treeview ...Paintshop Pro v. 7.0.
                    That takes me back! When I first got involved w/ computers, I used batch files to make life easier for clients, but quickly adopted Automenu from Magee. It rocked.

PSP v. 4.12, here, btw. (What? It's paid for!)

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      That takes me back! When I first got involved w/ computers, I used batch files to make life easier for clients, but quickly adopted Automenu from Magee. It rocked.

PSP v. 4.12, here, btw. (What? It's paid for!)
                      Ah yes. Automenu. Another one I used way back when. Individuals could use it for free, but companies had to pay for it. The US Patent Office got caught using Automenu without buying it, got their hands slapped, and had to pay a bunch of money to Magee.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

For future reference... You could also have created directories in the old storage style and moved the music to there.

Comment

Working...
                        X