Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange behavior installing Linux on a netbook...?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange behavior installing Linux on a netbook...?

I'm trying to install Kali Linux on an EeePC (netbook was given to me by a client who got a tablet and didn't want to mess with this one anymore). My goal is to turn it into a security/pentesting experimentation rig. No network connection, so I'm installing from a USB stick.

The initial install got me as far as setting the root password, and then all of a sudden "Sending SIGKILL to all devices...powering off" (I can't tell if this is coming from Kali or the system itself, nor do I know if partitioning was actually completed) Any subsequent installation attempts result in the power-off happening before it gets to the partitioning phase.

The existing install was Win7 Starter; I didn't have the password so elected to install over everything (did that screw things? it shouldn't have...).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I'm not familiar with Kali Linux. However, I do have one of the early EeePCs. There were later, larger, more capable versions as well - I don't know which one you have.

A key feature/limitation of the early EeePC is that it has relatively little RAM (512MB) and very little disk space (4GB flash). This made it cheap, but might trip up some installers that rely on having a larger disk to install on. I get around it by using an SD card as the /home filesystem, and the internal disk only for system files.

BTW, Kali states that 10GB of disk space is required. Some of the later EeePCs had mechanical hard disks with that much space, but most of the Flash-drive versions don't. You'll need to get creative with add-on storage, or else use a live USB stick.
    Last edited by Chromatix; 07-20-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

My EeePC is the 1005HAB. According to a few Linux forums, the full version of Kali should fit. I could do (should have done this first) a factory reset and then run CPUID to get the exact specs, but I don't have the recovery DVD. There probably is a recovery partition which may have been nuked if the drive was repartitioned--which I don't know for sure. Can't really hurt to try a recovery anyway.

There is a 'mini' ISO I have yet to try.

Comment

I'd probably go with lubuntu, but that's just me. I like the Debian line as it tends to be a bit more user friendly... especially during installation.
        But the paint on me is beginning to dry
        And it's not what I wanted to be
        The weight on me
        Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

That might be the way to go then; Ubuntu and/or Backtrack 5 before trying to upgrade (Kali Linux is essentially BT6; it might play nicer if it sees a prior version of itself or Linux in general).

Comment

Working...
          X