This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AlmightyALT View Post
    Code Words/Passwords. I've heard of this scam before (big news in Japan back in 2007) and worked out a system with my parents. If they get the call they'll ask for the password, three guesses. So far hasn't needed to be used.

My Karate Sensei's email got hacked and they sent the 'I'm in London, been mugged, blah blah blah' email to his contacts. Most of them mailed back, "Yeah... mugged.... Right..... You know you've hacked the account of a Karate Black Belt?"

Hacker: " ... oops ... "

Comment

This scam is really popular around this time of year - spring break and graduations. There is a greater chance that the scammer will reach a relative that would have someone they know in Mexico.
      The Travel Channel "When Spring Breaks go Wrong" (or something like that) profiled a particularly evil rendition of the scam:
      The scammer called around on a spoofed number and told the person that they were a cop in Mexico and that there had been an accident and they were calling from the loved one's phone. The scammers then proceed to keep calling to "update" the loved ones and each update gets worse and worse. Finally they say they have contacted a medivac unit that can transport the loved one to a facility in the states that can handle the much needed surgery (because the hospital they are in is woeful) and to wire the money to the broker. The loved one does it of course because by now they are completly freaked out.

Comment

Working...
      X