Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder if they're still in business...

Earlier today, I was watching a couple episodes of the show Chopped on Food Network. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a competition with three rounds that starts with four chefs. In each round, they have to make a different part of a meal (first round is appetizer, second is entree, last is dessert) and with each round, they get a basket of surprise ingredients that they have to use. The basket thing gets really fun when there's stuff like marshmallow fluff in the entree basket and pickled onions in the dessert basket. But I digress.

Anyways, there I was, watching the show. One of the ingredients in the basket for the appetizer round was shrimp. Two of the chefs actually got around to de-veining their shrimp, one of them forgot to, and the last one...just plain ol' didn't do it. When the judges called her out on the fact, she said the following: "I never clean my shrimp. I think it's unnecessary." Needless to say, she didn't last long on the show.

On another episode, one of the entree round ingredients was turkey breast. One of the contestants, a cocky little piece-a-crap with a 'you're not the boss of me, so nyeh ' attitude, decided to cook his so it was medium rare. When the judges pointed out that they felt it was undercooked, he threw a hissyfit. He got eliminated and, as he was leaving, his parting words were "The judges chose fear over innovation".

I have to wonder how many of these chefs are in business when they basically announce on national tv that they think it's perfectly ok to serve shrimp that still has its GI tract in it or meat that is undercooked. Or the ones that giggle and say 'well, I don't have cooties' when they've tossed a salad with the hand that they just cut with a butcher knife and is bleeding (Yes, I've seen it happen)
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

The shrimp isn't as big of an issue as it seems, as the GI tract is usually simply silt inside. Not terribly great on the pallet, but not a health hazard. The turkey breast though...
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
    X