Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenzo is a neat looking dog. Looks like he's a character. My dog is a pit bull mix and she's as sweet as can be. She's over here right now getting her ears scritched. She does have a territorial streak though. Everything about three houses in either direction from ours is her territory. Just ask her.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Kyree, given Kenzo's history, what is the likelihood of him ever being completely at ease?t My rescues were kittens or still adolescents when I got them, and while my roommates where full grown, they were rescued from neglect (i.e. hoarders) instead of physical abuse.

Comment

Lyse, the chance is huge. The progress he's made in just the 8 months is immense. I have resources in the form of friends that are willing to help out, and a coworker who is a dog trainer. Most of the issues he has left will be improved just by time, and continued counter conditioning. Friends with well behaved dogs I schedule times that we stage "meeting dogs on walks" with. When we go out to the pet store, I make sure to carry some stinky smelling treats, along with his tennis ball. You just have to get them to start connecting dogs = yummy treat and play time!!! instead of dogs = OMGTHEY'REGOINGTOATTACKME.

That's the amazing thing with this breed - they love their people so much that even after enduring horrible abuse and neglect...give them some love, time, and training and 9 times out of 10 they will bounce back.

I'm not familiar with cats who have been abused, but I'm guessing the concept would be the same. Take it slow..find a treat or food they love above all else (canned cat food, human tuna, turkey?), and bribe them with it. Sit in the room and read/do somethign quietly. Completely ignore the cat if it comes up to sniff you, let him sniff and walk away. Set treats out periodically, so he starts associating you and others with good things. That's about all I have for cats, like I said I'm no expert in socializing them
        Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that he has such a good chance to live a *happy* life, not just a safer one.

Comment

I think he's already having a happier life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfDJi46rQB4

working on impulse control with distractions:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTZS3...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1tPf...eature=related
            Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Kyree, you are made of five kinds of awesomness. And your pack is simply so awesome! Makes me miss my pups. Kenzo looks soooo happy---you are a truly great person to take him in, and turn him from the frightened, hurt thing he had to have been, to that big ole pile of doggy smiles and playfulness.
              *~*THIS SIG HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!*~*

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.-Elijah Snow

Comment

Such a handsome fellow! They really do look amazingly alike, too...I would have never guessed they weren't brothers or father and son.
                "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes and a big lump in my throat. I'm still missing my big ol' feller, and your dogs look so happy and healthy.
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

He is adorable! Love your pack, they all look so happy. I want a pit, they are beautiful. But I'm dedicated to my little min-pin and my BF's heeler-rot mix. (He's more spoiled ROTten LOL)
                    You can't take the sky from me...

Comment

Kenzo and Spud both look a lot like my oldest nieces' Pitty named Star. it's sad that such beautiful, sweet dogs get such a bad rap. You are all kinds of awesome for taking him and the rest of your pack in!

ETA: I've never met a Pit Bull that wasn't sweet. In fact, a coworker of mine has one that's such a baby that he once rolled over and let another dog "attack" him. yeah...Pittys are SO vicious. Pffffft!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

All I can think of is how nice it would be to pet all of your pack members. You've got a bunch of adorable guys there.
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                          Pit bull-

ITA with your sig. The reputation of the pit bull has been so badly damaged by a few idiots with superiority complexes. The average Joe thinks a pit bull is a dangerous, ferocious dog and that just isn't true, unless it is raised to be by a jerk owner. Every pit bull I've ever met has been friendly, and far more likely to drown you in kisses than attack you. When raised right, as yours obviously have been, they'll walk up to you with a big smile and their entire backside wagging, happily accepting petting and pleased to make a new friend.

All your dogs are beautiful. Thank you for taking Kenzo in, helping him and making him a happy dog. Bless you and your husband for your patience and lovingkindness.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Such a great success story for a rescue dog!

Comment

Sorry for the super late response, things got busy here the last couple weeks

Thank you guys

I've started taking him on late night walks with a friend of mine and her dogs. She helps run a local dog rescue, and is experienced with dogs like Kenzo. He's slowly learning that not every dog we meet on a leash will attack him. He's also making a ton of progress with people coming into the house. Whenever my friends come over, we always have them either have food, or a tennis ball. Last weekend we came into the house, and Kenzo didn't even care enough about them to get off the couch. He made my friends come to him to give him the burger

I think he's doing pretty well in his socialization with other dogs, what about you guys?

(There's a shih-tzu in this one if you look close enough!)

And to people who say that pit bulls are unpredictable/mean/whatever, I show them these:

Those kind of shoot down the arguments they have
                              Pit bull-

Comment

The pix with the cat made me squee.
                                Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                                Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Working...
                                X