Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neopets is Serious Business Apparently (LONG)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neopets is Serious Business Apparently (LONG)

This is a very long rant, but I had to get this out.

I'm not sure if anyone else on these forums will know what I'm talking about, but I used to be obsessed with a website called Neopets. On this site, you basically create virtual pets and take care of them. You can also play games and make money (called Neopoints).

Anyway, the site underwent a revamp a few years ago, and incorporated a new customization feature. The art for the pets and the website as a whole was changed, but some pets (like mine) were not auto-converted to the new art. These Unconverted pets are now rare and worth quite a bit (people will actually sell them for real world money - remember, these are PIXELS).

I recently got back into Neopets, and basically went on there to just play games and reminisce about my younger years. I made the mistake of giving away an old account of mine to an online friend I'd known for over 2 years. This old account was attached to an old email account of mine (as were all of my Neopets accounts), and what I didn't realize at the time was that the password for the side account was the same as the password for my email.

So basically, this "friend" of mine figured out that the passwords were the same, went into my EMAIL and found out the passwords for all of my other Neopets accounts. They then proceeded to steal my accounts and trade away my Unconverted pets.

At first I didn't realize it was my "friend" who did it, but I was still devastated because I'd had that stuff for almost 9 years. For a solid two months, I and this "friend" continued to chat like everything was normal - they never once hinted at the fact that they were the one who stole all of my stuff on Neopets, and actually continued to lie to me and say it was a "hacker" who did it.

Eventually, I figured out who had stolen my accounts with the help of another friend of mine. I was PISSED. I told my "friend" exactly what I thought of her, then wrote her off permanently, as did our other mutual friends.

What pisses me off is that:

1. She'd screw me over (a friend of 2 years) over pixels.
    2. She's going around acting like she's the victim.

She continues to post little comments on her MSN profile and Twitter account about how she's sorry and whatnot. The comment I read that really ticked me off, though, was this one:

"A simple friend thinks the friendship over when you have an argument. A real friend knows that it's not a friendship until after you've had a fight."

Guess what, "friend"? A real friend wouldn't steal from you and lie for over 2 months.

All of this over something as worthless as pixels on a screen. I'm still floored.

I played a little when Neopets first came out and wasn't hugely popular...mostly I liked playing Cheat and collecting items based on my pet (I had that alien cat thing) to put into a store. Then I just lost interest and I'm sure my Neopets are by now in an advanced state of decomposition.

Some people are fucking nuts about online games. Another one I've seen where people will pay actual money for special pixels is Meez. You can make a little 3D version of yourself (or whoever you want). Some items (clothes, accessories, hairstyles, backgrounds, etc.) are free, some cost Meez Points and some are for VIP (paying) members only. You can buy the points or you can win them and save up.

Some people who are dubbed Member of the Month there have nothing but the VIP items. It's insane.

Or pretty much any online RPG. It amazes me how some people will sink years and years into the game to get a level seven-million werewolf-elf-zombie. My BF plays some free version of one of these and there's been a lot of talk in the last year about the free server shutting down completely. All that work leveling up your character goes -poof- and you've got nothing to show for it.

I guess everyone has to have their obsessions. In any case, I'm sorry your friend was such an asshole to hack into your accounts and trade your stuff. I wonder if that could be considered theft and if you could rake her over the legal coals for it...not sure since the stuff is digital. Did you talk to the admins on Neopets? Maybe they can help you get your accounts and pets back.

Comment

I doubt there's any legal recourse since the stolen items don't actually exist. I'm fine with leaving her high and dry, anyway. She lost at least four friends over this situation, so I hope those 2 months of owning my stuff was worth it.

I talked to The Neopets Team (TNT) and after waiting several weeks I finally got one of my accounts (and my pets) back. I'm still waiting on the other two that were stolen, but I'm confident I'll get them back eventually.

Another sucky part about this situation is that the people who owned my pets (through no fault of their own, they had no idea they were stolen) got their accounts frozen. Now THEY have to contact TNT to try and get their own pets and items back.

Comment

I had three of the Eyries (they look like gryphons) on Neopets. I haven't played since last December. I don't think they ever made any merchandise with them on it. I really wanted a plush version. I settled for a cloud uni (unicorn pegasus).

Comment

I had several accounts too. I haven't been on in years.
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
            I had several accounts too. I haven't been on in years.
            If you had any painted pets, you'd be surprised how much they're worth now if they're Unconverted. Neopets lets you trade pets now, and people go crazy for anything that's Unconverted.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
              If you had any painted pets, you'd be surprised how much they're worth now if they're Unconverted. Neopets lets you trade pets now, and people go crazy for anything that's Unconverted.
              I don't even remember what my user names were let alone my passwords. And I'm sure at least one of the accounts was linked to one of my oooold email addresses I abandoned.

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                I don't even remember what my user names were let alone my passwords. And I'm sure at least one of the accounts was linked to one of my oooold email addresses I abandoned.
                If you're curious, you can always use the "Forgot username" option on the login page and find out what accounts are attached to your email address.

(That's how my "friend" figured out that all of my accounts were attached to that one email address. Dx)

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                  If you're curious, you can always use the "Forgot username" option on the login page and find out what accounts are attached to your email address.

(That's how my "friend" figured out that all of my accounts were attached to that one email address. Dx)
                  I may have to check that out sometime soon.

Comment

Meh!

Looks like my Neopets account is linked to a non existent email account
                    I remembered my username, surprisingly.

I wanted to see my Kiko again!
                    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Actually.....even if its digital items, it can be potentially taken to courts. IIRC, there was a case a while back where someone hacked an account of their ex, deleted everything, and ended up paying damages for what they did. I believe it was over Everquest or Runescape, but I can't recall exactly. I remember reading the article a couple of times a few years ago when I was doing research for a project.

But, of course, its a matter of is it worth it.

...Ahh, found one of the articles. http://www.futureofcopyright.com/hom...tch-court.html Dutch court, for this one. I know there was another one involving a guy's ex. She did it out of revenge, and he promptly brought her to court for it.
                      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Oh hey! I've got accounts on Neopets too. Haven't played since about June, mostly due to vacations and new baby and prepping for moving and stuff. Got too much to do at the moment, so I'm on hiatus for a while yet.

Cazzi, you might be able to get TNT to change the e-mail address for your old account. It wouldn't hurt to at least ask.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I was looking at the support request form, I can't remember most of the info they want

Its been literally years since I last logged onto Neopets.
                          Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Give them as much information as you can, Cazzi. If they need additional information, they'll contact you via email so you can explain the situation. :3

Comment

Been a while since I played that... still have my main account but I remember many a folk flipping out when they'd log in and realize that they left their account open in the college computer lab (kiss your stuff goodbye) this was around the time they also started selling the plush toys and got into the beginning of the moichendizing! era.

I'm still proud that I was able to get a comic with a suggestive tone into the Neopian times, I hold my unofficial submission black-listing with honor.

Still, I love me a game of Sahkmet Solitaire here and there.
                              Okay everyone, lets all point and laugh at him right about....

Now.

Comment

Working...
                              X