This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to get excited for Thanksgiving

So I realized this week that Thanksgiving is next week! It came up fast! What is everyone doing this year? We are having our traditional Thanksgiving dinner for friends, but we decided to have it on Thanksgiving Day this year (in the past, we've done it on the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving since most of our friends have family they spend Thanksgiving Day with.) We thought we knew a lot of people who wouldn't be able to go see their families for the holiday and wouldn't have anywhere else to go, but I guess we were wrong! I invited around 20 people and only 1 is coming. Oh well, it means lots of leftovers for us and a laid back day since I won't have a bunch of people drooling down my neck.

I am planning on the following:

Roasted chicken (since there's only going to be 3 of us, I didn't want to do a ham like I usually do, I will do ham for our Christmas party instead)
    Mashed potatoes
    Gravy
    Stuffing
    Candied sweet potatoes
    Cranberry sauce
    Rolls
    Pecan pie
    Pumpkin cream pie

I just made my shopping list and planner for Thanksgiving day (I always plan out hour-by-hour when to do things like peel the potatoes and take the chicken out of the fridge, etc., it probably sounds OCD but it helps me get everything ready on time and not lose track of time.) Now I am excited and can't wait till next week!

low carb "mashed potatoes", baby! Probably also end up making my family some roast bell peppers and some homemade butter. I hate the peppers, but somehow, I evidently make the best ones according to everyone. Which is funny because when I taste them, they taste...well...like bell peppers, which to me taste wretched.

Maybe a low carb cheesecake (the last one I made was amazing...my sister sent me a recipe for key lime cheesecake.

And, cookies with the kidlets.

Comment

Our new tradition is for me, Dad, and stepmom to go to the Thanksgiving buffet at the Raddison (sp?) downtown. We'll go at brunch time, since I have to go home and sleep so I can work at midnight. Buffet works out well because I'm vegetarian and they're not, and Dad has dietary restrictions.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

For the past couple years, my parents and I have had Thanksgiving dinner with some friends of ours at their house. This year, though, we've had a slight change of plans and decided to do our own thing for the first time in a while. Knowing my family, there will for sure be stuffing, rice, and sweet potatoes, but I don't know yet if we're doing turkey or chicken or what. And I also know that my mom will make either an apple pie, a sweet potato pie, or a pumpkin pie.

I must say, I'm rather looking forward to two things with this. 1) Being able to have leftovers and 2) Being able to have food that, with my weird food allergies and all, I can actually eat without worrying about getting sick. At this friend's house, they seem to put onions in pretty much everything. x.x Which makes it hard for me.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I'm happy that we're going to my husband's aunt's house this Thanksgiving, instead of just being with MIL and BIL. It'll be less awkward and his aunt is such a fabulous person. When we go to her place, we get plates that her church sells as a fundraiser. It's fairly cheap and much easier for her than cooking a huge dinner for just a few people. We'll probably bring a pie or two (at least a pumpkin one, because that's all my husband will eat) but we can't bring anything warm since it's a 4 hour drive.

I'm definitely going to enjoy my last Thanksgiving off for the foreseeable future. Hopefully I'll be working next year and Christmas is more important to me than Thanksgiving or New Years.

Comment

Working...
          X