This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

I got the job!! I had my second interview last Monday. I actually thought it hadn't gone all that well. Apparently they liked me more than I thought. I got the call yesterday with a job offer. This is going to be so much fun.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Congrats!!! Alaska is an incredible state. We loved our cruise on HAL - incredible people on the ship. Have nothing but good memories of our trip.
      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

WoopWoop Woop!!!

Find a place to live. Rent a room, please, you're going to be allllll over the place.
        Again, NOT MOUNTAIN VIEW, NOT FAIRVIEW, NOT DOWNTOWN.
        Valley of the Moon is close to Downtown, walkable. That's by Arctic & Fireweed.
        Spenard is ok, Spenard and Benson/ Spenard and Fireweed etc. All mixes of life and income here.
        Midtown, 36th and C street, A street, Old Seward Highway. All mixes. Huge arterial streets.
        By the college/hospitals, 36th and Lake Otis, Lake Otis and Northern Lights.
        South side, by Dimond, Dimond and Old Seward. Arterial streets here.

I pick Midtown, specifically cuz it has at least 4 bus routes in it. I lived there 10 years. You want an area with at least 2 bus routes, so you can hop on one and get going. FYI bus routes are 30 min to 1 hr apart. Sundays are crap bus days.

Layer your clothing. It's great to have a shirt or 2 and a windbreaker jacket. You can always undress vs updress!

You can use any of the big banks from here when you're up there, not an issue tbh. ATMs all over the city, there's at least 2 Wal-marts, 3 Fred Meyers, 3 or 4 theaters.

Kitsch and tschotckys downtown, duh, wait til end end end of seasons to purchase it.

You might want to invest in night blindfolds to help you sleep better, your circadian rhythm will be wacky for a bit. Not many places (rooms or rentals) let you put foil on the window to stop the light.

Invest in some water proof or water resistant boots, imo. Nice shoes for work, yanno, but I'd be overcareful. Oh. Go to 4th Avenue and A street (?) and to the Old Army Navy Surplus store. Decent stuff there, practical.

Hugs and we need pics!!!
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

The housing situation shouldn't be too bad. Apparently it's not uncommon for 8-10 employees to get together and split a 2 bedroom apartment. Good idea on the night blindfolds especially since I have trouble falling asleep unless it's really dark. I'll probably take some earplugs with me too. That way I don't have to worry about snorers and such.

I will want to be as close to the train station as possible considering I have to be on the train by 6AM. Not sure if the buses run that early.

All in all I think this is going to be an adventure. Don't worry I plan on posting lots of pics either here on my facebook page.

Comment

My brother lives in Anchorage. A few tips-- If you have trouble sleeping due to the daylight difference, the best solution (and one some locals use,) is to tape aluminum foil inside their bedroom windows. (If, as mentioned previously, they allow you to do this.)This will block out almost all light and make it nice and dark. Anchorage is small for a city in the US, only about 300,000 people. Most of the city with the exception of the downtown area looks more like a very large town than a city. There are some nice places to visit in driving distance; Seward has a nice aquarium and during the right time of year, you can whale watch in the bay. However, it's a very small town and literally has like two places to eat, both very expensive, so plan ahead. The fishing in the area around Anchorage is fantastic. However, it is wise to carry a sidearm or a rifle at all times outside of the city, one capable of stopping a bear if necessary. My brother always carries a rifle or a .44 magnum when out in the wild. And the "wild" includes all areas outside of a town, even right next to a major road. There's also a nice glacier within driving distance of Anchorage that is pretty cool to see--it's a state park.

Comment

Oh, boy, me with a sidearm. I guarantee you the bear would be perfectly safe. Me on the other hand? I'd end up shooting myself in the foot. While I do know which end to point at whatever I want to kill, I'm a lousy shot.

I won't have a car while I'm up there, but maybe if I get two or three days off in a row, I can rent one. I certainly want to see as much as I can while I'm there.

Comment

Working...
              X