Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's do more work because work is good!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's do more work because work is good!

So we're installing new internet and phones at work. These are VoIP phones, which need some on-site equipment to work. First, two guys from Terrible Data Service come, look around, tell us that the best place to put the phone kit is in the closet where the fire system is. Last Monday, another guy comes, discovers that our wiring is not as it seems, and tells me and my bosses that no, they were mistaken, the best place to put the kit is in the breakroom, in the opposite corner of our (fairly large) building. This way we only have to run one cable across the building

I get in yesterday, and the plan now is to install the kit in the closet with the fire system as originally planned, and run FOUR NEW CABLES through the ceiling across the whole building. Because Big Boss likes running cable or something. Didn't he just two weeks ago tell me he doesn't like doing that kind of work?

Apparently the reasoning is that we'd have to run two cables back to the fire system for its dialer. But the VoIP phone kit does NOT have a battery backup. Is that even legal in WI fire code? It's sure not safe. And even then, there are already two cables running into the breakroom for the phones, couldn't we have the converter in the breakroom or adjoining (secure) office and hook it up to the regular phone wire?
    Last edited by roothorick; 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM.

On the battery issue, when started I discovers that our phone system had no backup power at all. The first ting I did was buy the biggest UPS i could get, so now it is running on a nice 1000 VA UPS.

Our Facilities people are planning on getting a generator in the next year or two, if that happens somethign tells me I will fight over getting some power off it for the critical IT loads such as phones. But you have a UPS....

Comment

We have VoIP at work, but here in MA we are legally required to have the fire system tied to landlines, not the VoIP system. You might want to suggest they double check the legality of wiring the fire system through VoIP before they do it. It would suck for the building to burn down because of an internet outage.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
        We have VoIP at work, but here in MA we are legally required to have the fire system tied to landlines, not the VoIP system. You might want to suggest they double check the legality of wiring the fire system through VoIP before they do it. It would suck for the building to burn down because of an internet outage.
        As it turns out, we're getting more than just phones. We actually have our own T1 line into the building now. Since Terrible Data Service is a regional provider, they probably know the laws, and it's more than likely something like, it's okay as long as the Internet connection meets certain standards for reliability. Which, T1 good. That wireless contraption that is now finally no longer on the roof? Not so good.

Speaking of, I have a story to post.

Comment

Quoth roothorick View Post
          Since Terrible Data Service is a regional provider, they probably know the laws
          Never, ever, ever assume the person trying to sell you something either knows the laws, or will inform you of the laws if such information might cost them the sale.

Especially if it's something that will legally screw you, but not them.

Comment

I believe that most places require the fire alarm notification to be on a POTS line for two reasons A.) With a POTS line the power for the circuit is provided by the CO
            B.) The e911 system doesn't work with cell phones or VoIP (there is a reason vonage and whatnot have that disclaimer)

Comment

Working...
            X