This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misdirection

So, it seems lately that the (l)users are ganging up on me to steal away that tiny little scrap of sanity that I have left that keeps me from going all disgruntled postal worker. And, apparently, the AAFH2 is on their side.

It did start with the (l)users.

I am in <office>. The first computer there doesn't have the capability for me to insert formulas and equations. Can that be added to that computer??
    Okay, "first computer"... well, that's helpful. And what program is the (l)user referring to?

I send her an email for more info.. I send another... I have her dept head send her an email, and I get a voicemail which was just as helpful as the email. So I finally get ahold of the (l)user and figure out a time to meet her in the office. So, "first computer" really means the one furthest from the door.

Equations and formulas.. that's probably Excel. So I sit down at the computer and open it. "Oh, no. It's WORD." Said in a tone similar to "You idiot!!"

Okay, whatev, I open up Word, insert Equation.. and wow. It works. I verified that that was what she wanted to do. Then she whined about having to print to the basement..

Then I get another work order.

Printer over in athletic directors office will not print. It is the work study printer.
    I go over, log into the computer... and it prints. Hu.

The next day, work order entitled "Printer will still not work for student worker"
    containing this jewel from AAFH2
    computer is located in his office on the right
    I head back over, it prints.

I email the requestor and tells him I need the student worker there to see the problem. He tells me a time to be there. I go, no one is there. Grr. I send him another email saying the student worker just needs to select the <name> printer, and it should print. If not, the student worker needs to contact me personally.

I get this email back.

[quote]Sorry for the inconvenience. My GA must have stepped out when you came by. I was hosting a recruit at breakfast. The problem is that we need to print on <totally different printer>.

ARG!!! Would have been nice to mention that IN THE PREVOUS WORK ORDER!!!!

So, I send another email asking when the student worker will be there. His response was that they'll be in the office... for another 45 minutes. I look at the clock. I'm at the start of my window to create network accounts. I cry. So I call over. I go to remote into the computer.., and can't. I try walking the student worker through adding the printer... but alas, he's not an admin on the machine. Sigh. So I tell him to leave everything as it is, and I'll be over in a min.

I get over there, fairly running. He, of course, had closed everything back down.

So I pull everything back up and connect him to the printer.

"Oh, yeah, I have another student worker that needs it too."

So, I wait as she logs in. I connect her to the printer.

Then the dept head realizes I'm in the office.

"Oh, while you're here, can you connect my laptop to wireless?"

Same day, another work order.

Subject line: SCREEN SHOT of PROBLEM.

Here is the screen I get when I tested my audio by entering I-tunes. I have no audio since doing update on QuickTime. I could not even open my voice mails this morning on QuickTime and it suggested I do an update on QuickTime, which I did - now have no audio at all.
    Then the AAFH2 added this note...

she was not able to hear her voice mails through her computer, she updated Quick Time and now can cannot hear an audio on her computer
    So I head over.

Sure enough, there's no audio playing. I screw around with the settings. Unplug the speakers, and hear that staticy noise when you touch the speaker plug to metal, so I knew the speakers were okay. Screw around, screw around, screw around, go fix an issue on another computer in the office, come back and sit down at the computer. Then something draws my attention.... A headset plugged into the front of the computer... AH HA!

"The speakers won't work if you have a headset plugged in."

She gives me a DUH look. "I was trying to listen through the headset."

Well, you could have told me that EARLIER!!

I put on the headphones, adjust the volume, and hear "DING!"

No sound, eh? BS!

So I go to listen to a voicemail message, to recreate the problem. And sure enough, I get the error message she had made a screen cap of. Then I remember, she had a help doc from itunes open in the screen cap. Sure enough, I hit the handy Help button, and get the same doc. I follow the instructions that she apparently disregarded, un/reinstalled Quicktime.

And, Bam. Quicktime started playing the voicemails, and iTunes would open.

I my life, I my life...

Oh, well, then there was the work order put under a random name with the summary saying she was having phone issues.

I send the work order back saying "Who is this person? What's the phone number?"

I get it back, "It's <totally different person than listed as the requestor> She used to be so and so and now she's <last name that is somewhat close to the requestor name>."

SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

AAFH2 == Alternates A**hole For Head Squared?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

AAFH2=Admin Asst from hell 2

Comment

I like dalesys' version better.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Another case of FML, Professor AnnoyingPants killed his printer the other week. He claims he just changed the "ribbon" (aka ink cartridges). I go over, and behind the print carriage thing is a loose piece of plastic... a rather large piece of plastic.. that looks like it has something to do with the print carriage.

So he gets a new printer. I told him I would be at his office AROUND 2pm to set it up. He calls at 2:06 asking where I am.

I walk into his office. I announce my presence, and he greets me, then turns right back to the computer. I wait. He types. I wait. Finally, he turns around, "Oh, can I do my work while you hook up the printer?"

"Uh... no."

He said he hooked up the printer, but it just wouldn't work. Knowing better, I look at the back of the printer. Sure enough, no USB cable in sight.

"Oh, did you need another cable? That's all there was in the box."

"Well, it doesn't come with it. Where's the one from the old printer?"

"Oh, on the floor somewhere."

So I crawl under his desk and find the USB cable. I get the printer drivers installed, and the printer connected. All is good. I hit print test page... and... what's this?

Oh. No ink cartridges.

I ask him where the ink cartridges were.

"Oh, you need those????"

Uh... yeah.

He goes to a drawer and throws a cartridge onto the desk. I meekly ask for the second one. He gives me a look, but throws it on the table also.

Cartridges install, my test page and the alignment page prints. I scan the alignment page, and all is well.

I get to the door, and he stops me and asks me what to do with the old printer.

"Dumpster."

"But can't you use anything? Like the power cord?"

"Nope."

I get two steps out of his door.

"Can I ask you another question?"

I finally get to run away. Just in time to play in chat for a little bit before heading to my next appointment.

I get a phone call, and while I'm on that one, he tries to call me. Oh, how sad, I can't get off the line quick enough to pick it up. Tragedy.

I go to my appointment. I come back, and the first thing out of my manager's mouth was that Prof AnnoyingPants called, and he was having printer problems.

He wasn't picking up the phone, so I remoted into his machine. For some reason, it's not recognizing it has cartridges installed.

I can't WAIT for Monday to find out what he did to the poor thing....

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            I like dalesys' version better.
            me too, the name should be officially changed
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
              My guess would be he thought it was a waste to have two ink cartridges in there at the same time and decided to return one to his desk.

Just one more person that shouldn't be trusted with anything more complex than an Etch-a-Sketch.... though that's giving him a lot of credit.

Comment

You know, there's a cure all solution for this situation:

A 20 pound sledge. For either the printer or the user, at your discretion.
                I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

You know, there's a cure all solution for this situation:

A 20 pound sledge. For either the printer or the user, at your discretion.
                  Nah. Battleaxe. Far more satisfying.
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Oh, since I forgot to post this yesterday, for those playing along at home.

He attempted to move the printer, and the USB cable came loose.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                      Nah. Battleaxe. Far more satisfying.
                      Too clean. It doesn't set a proper example if can be cleaned easily enough.

Oh, since I forgot to post this yesterday, for those playing along at home.

He attempted to move the printer, and the USB cable came loose.
                      Right, the user needs to be the target then.
                      I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Too clean. It doesn't set a proper example if can be cleaned easily enough.
                        I think the uni has a wood chipper.. :: totally evil grin ::

Comment

Working...
                        X