Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this limit of which you speak?

Was at the local "yellow print on green background" discount grocery chain yesterday. They've got a sale on 18-packs of soda.

A couple customers ahead of me was a guy whose cart was STACKED with the stuff (counted 7 layers, and it looked like 3 cases per layer). When I got to the cashier, I asked about the limit on specials, and she said that it depended on the manager whether or not limits were put in place (another branch of the chain generally limits sale items to 4).

I can understand a manager not wanting to tick people off, but he doesn't have the choice of "annoy a customer or don't annoy a customer" - he WILL annoy customers regardless. Why does he prefer to annoy multiple customers by being out of stock rather than one customer by limiting their purchases?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

We had limits when I worked at Land of Quid. It was hell. I was threatened with lawsuits by customers (actually me personally... the cashier), screamed at, swore at. Some guy told me he was going to plaster my name all over the papers and the Internet because he wanted to buy six boxes of chocolates when the limit was three. So I think it's a lot less hassle NOT to have limits!

Comment

Back at the Mart of K I had fun with this, my favourite response (while being a complete lie) was, "ok you've reached the limit of the deal, any more are back up to the original price, do you still want the extras?"

Note: I only used this line for the serial offenders (as in a trolley full of the item when the limit was <5-10

Comment

plaster my name all over the papers
        The papers won't care. Trust me on this. They have bigger things to write about than some dude who couldn't buy six boxes of candy.

Internet is a different story, since you don't need to talk someone else into writing about the horrible injustice of limits on chocolate.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It always peeves me when I see a customer who has way over the limit for a sale item, and they just break their items into several different transactions, which completely nullifies the point of placing a limit on them in the first place.

Comment

What a dolt. If I wanted six boxes and the limit was three, I would buy three, and come back to buy another three. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out, but I guess an SC can't.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              The papers won't care. Trust me on this. They have bigger things to write about than some dude who couldn't buy six boxes of candy.

Internet is a different story, since you don't need to talk someone else into writing about the horrible injustice of limits on chocolate.
              Well, the good news is, I don't think he meant any of it, it was all just words to scare me. Such threats don't really phase me anymore. I used to check all over the place for nasty comments about the 'ginger haired cashier who works at Land of Quid in *small town* but I don't do that anymore lol. I have learned that most customers are all bark and no bite!

Comment

We used to not have limits. Now we do, but it can make things worse. Say the sale is 5/$5, must buy in quantities of 5 with a 5-item limit. You buy 17, first 5 will ring up at $1 and the rest at normal price. This is not stated clearly anywhere.

I've had a bit of fun with the whiners who say I don't know what I'm talking about; yes I do, I put the damn tags up (one manager who overheard a complainer actually said this to them, but went a bit further and said that I can and will deny sales if I think that sale will deplete our stock too much--that was followed by both of us glancing at our cell phones as if we had an app connected to the inventory system).
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-07-2014, 04:16 PM.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

At my store we actually do have an app that checks the stock levels, and is updated hourly. Another good part is that we can check stock levels in any store in the country.

Comment

Working...
                  X