Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck is a green whistle in this context?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      What the heck is a green whistle in this context?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methoxyflurane

It's a painkiller. They put a swab soaked in it in this green plastic whistle-shaped tube, and you suck air through it.

My first breath I coughed a lot, but quickly got used to it, and even found the taste pleasant.

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
        Contact the mayor's office. Also, go to the ER it sounds like your appendix is about to burst. Had mine do that, it wasn't fun.
        There's no way to know what was going on without a physical exam and a full diagnostic workup. It could have been appendicitis, gall bladder, pancreatitits, or more likely, gastroenteritis (the mis named "stomach flu").

The immediate concern at this point is pain management, fever control (if there was fever), and dehydration.

Quoth Arucard View Post
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methoxyflurane

It's a painkiller. They put a swab soaked in it in this green plastic whistle-shaped tube, and you suck air through it.

My first breath I coughed a lot, but quickly got used to it, and even found the taste pleasant.
        It's a very regional thing. A lot of places don't offer it.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I had severe abdominal pain... Couldn't keep anything down... Went on for days. Thought I had a bad case of the flu. Went to urgent care on a Friday night, they sent me to the ER. Turned out I had pretty big gall stones and was in emergency surgery Saturday morning. Off work almost 2 weeks. Boss was SHOCKED. She thought it was just the flu too lol.

Obviously I am not saying that you have that... Just saying that even something that appears minor can be quite serious.

Medical professionals should treat it as such.

Not every EMT is horrible, just like not every doctor is or every nurse is. It gets so easy to see the negatives... It's like they are a black hole that swallows the light of the good.

I actually know a former EMT... Good person.

Hang in there.
          "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Yes I'm doing much better now thank you. I didn't mean to imply all Emts were like these, I've had others help me when I was in a car accident, just these two had bad attitudes. Maybe they thought I was drunk, or some junkie, whatever, IDC, I hope when they're in pain they're are sneered at. Again, not all, just these two!
            I don know what it is, my last dr. Was stumped. If done a lot of reading and it seems to be related to stress. My mom had the same spells...but then again, she died of cancer. I hope its not that! >.<
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
              Maybe they thought I was drunk, or some junkie, whatever, IDC
              Doesn't matter. We medical professionals grumble about treating suspected (and confirmed) drunks, junkies, and other undesirables, but they deserve the same level of care as anyone else. Oddly enough, they get sick too, and not just from whatever their drug of choice happens to be.

Though treating a patient going through detox is always a...fun (?) experience.

And as a medical imaging tech, I get a little grouchy when a test gets ordered that requires the patient to be off pain meds 6-8 hours and I call the floor and they be like oh I just gave them morphine. Which happens all. The. Time. So if a medical professional is withholding pain meds, there might be a very good reason for it.
              Last edited by jedimaster91; 11-22-2014, 08:21 PM.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Just curious, but why would a test you'd conduct (I can sort of understand it if it were a test conducted by a physiotherapist, where they need to find the range of pain-free motion so the drugs would affect the test, but you're an imaging tech) need the patient to be off painkillers for hours?
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                  Doesn't matter. We medical professionals grumble about treating suspected (and confirmed) drunks, junkies, and other undesirables, but they deserve the same level of care as anyone else. Oddly enough, they get sick too, and not just from whatever their drug of choice happens to be.
                  That's the way it should be, but isn't always the case. If you want to start a thread of fratching, I could tell you a couple stories from personal experience...
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Just curious, but why would a test you'd conduct (I can sort of understand it if it were a test conducted by a physiotherapist, where they need to find the range of pain-free motion so the drugs would affect the test, but you're an imaging tech) need the patient to be off painkillers for hours?
                    The big one is our gallbladder function tests. Narcotic painkillers close off a sphincter at the base of the biliary tree where it empties into the small bowel. If we try to squeeze that gallbladder as part of the test, not only is it going to be quite uncomfortable for the patient, the gallbladder may not squeeze enough (because it can't due to the bile not having anywhere to go, not because it's sick) which could lead to unnecessary surgery to take it out.

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                    That's the way it should be, but isn't always the case. If you want to start a thread of fratching, I could tell you a couple stories from personal experience...
                    Oh, believe me. I know. And that's all I'll say about that.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                    X