This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Your Customer, Chica.

So I went to my favorite doughnut/coffee/breakfast food place. I decided to go in and order because there was a big line at the drive-thru but no one in the parking lot. I ended up walking in after some guy, who by passed the counter to go straight to the drink cooler.

I walked up to the counter, just after the girl there went "HI!" to the guy and watched him walk by. Then, for my ENTIRE order, she was constantly looking past me at the guy, not paying attention to what I said. I couldn't even finish saying my order before she was running off and I had to yell after her the rest of the drink order! (I said "A hot latte---" and she was GONE! Never mind the "--whole milk, gingerbread flavor shots, extra shots" that came after!)

I was getting really irritated with her. I had to repeat my order (and honestly it was very simple, 50 mini-donuts -no it wasn't a DD but they are similar to munchkins, only BIGGER- and the large latte.) Honestly, it took her ten minutes to do what should've taken her three, and I went from being early to quite possibly late to work (traffic is finicky during this drive on Saturday, I have it timed).

I've spent 10 minutes in that store waiting at the SUPER MORNING EARLY rush, but this was around noon! I was the first person at the counter!

*Hmpf.* Just annoyed me is all. It annoyed me even more when she rushed me through paying, and as soon as the transaction was done she ran out from behind the counter and went over to the guy going "Heeeey, how are you!?"

Seriously girl (she had to be in high school) when you're on the job you DO YOUR DAMN JOB, not socialize with your friends while ignoring your customers.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

I probably would have lost patience sooner than you and either given an "Excuse me!" to drag her attention back to me, or if I was really in a mood I'd have gotten her attention back with an "Excuse me!" and then said, "You know what, you're clearly too busy eyeballing that man over there, and I'm going to take my order for my entire office somewhere else."

Because got-dang, that is just unacceptable to not pay attention to the customer in front of you.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I'm with Jay. That would have pissed me off big-time. This is one of the times when you want to call corporate. Girl needs to chase guys on her own time, not at work.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The other day I was at "redhead burger", and the line at the counter was being IGNORED. Why? There was also a line at the drive-through, and staffing levels were such that they couldn't process both lines in a timely manner. Since corporate at fast food chains tends to monitor drive-through service times (from when a car arrives at the speaker until they get their food), and clamps down on stores that don't meet standards (never mind that corporate also decides how much labour budget the store is allowed, so they can't staff to meet demand), and there's no such monitoring for time from someone arriving in the lineup at the counter until they get their food, the store was doing the logical thing to keep its numbers in the "acceptable" range.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          Because got-dang, that is just unacceptable to not pay attention to the customer in front of you.
          I've run into situations where I'm helping one customer and another has a question they choose me to try to get an answer from. I do, of course, excuse myself to the person I'm helping, then apologize for the interruption (which I try to either solve very quickly or redirect to a co-worker). Seems better than just ignoring the questioner, especially since I frequently wind up on the register nearest the entrance door.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            I've run into situations where I'm helping one customer and another has a question they choose me to try to get an answer from. I do, of course, excuse myself to the person I'm helping, then apologize for the interruption (which I try to either solve very quickly or redirect to a co-worker). Seems better than just ignoring the questioner, especially since I frequently wind up on the register nearest the entrance door.
            Yes, I've had similar situations, but I always make it clear to the person I'm "ignoring" that I have noticed them, and I'll be with them in a moment.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
              I walked up to the counter, just after the girl there went "HI!" to the guy and watched him walk by. Then, for my ENTIRE order, she was constantly looking past me at the guy, not paying attention to what I said.
              I would have been tempted to say "Hey, could you take my order and THEN flirt? Thanks." I'd say it loud enough that the other guy could hear it, which might embarrass her.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Minor, HILARIOUS update -

Went back in there for some tea and a tasty breakfast sandwich. Different girl, another cute guy came in behind me.

She maintained eye contact, was super friendly, got my drink and sandwich and made small chat. I paid and walked off, to hear her go, "Heee-eeeyy" to the guy as he walked up to the counter.

I was like "You see!? That's how you do it!" Flirt with the customer all you want while he's your customer as long as you aren't making a fool of yourself and aren't holding up the line.

For the record, she flirted playfully during the course of the transaction, but once he paid she made one more little joke, said "Bye, have a nice day!" and was perfectly on the ball as the next customer came up.

High school girls... full of as many hormones as high school boys.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I had a similar situation once, in a store. I think it was a coffee store, in the mall. I just wanted to buy some flavored coffee. I will say, I was tired, and a bit cranky from my day, but the employee didn't make it any better. She was in HS, I suspect, but no manager or any other "adult" in sight.

So I'm trying to place my order, and I guess some of her friends came in. they were joking with her, acting stupid, and generally being annoying. And also keeping her from actually doing her job. Doing stuff like trying to grab her as she went to get my things, and so on, and she did nothing to tell them "hey, I'm working, knock it off" So my transaction took 3 times longer than it should have.

I was pissed so I sent the company an email, which I normally very rarely do. Got a response back, and they send me a free pound of coffee! But really? if you're there to do a job, do it. Don't chat wiht your friends, or ignore the customer, and if they are being annyoing (friends) tell them to knock it off.

Comment

Something similar had happened to me a few months ago. In short:

Grocery store checkout clerk was middle-aged guy, maybe mid-50's.

Never says a word to me as I get checked out. The entire time he's talking to the pretty girl behind me in line. She's wearing a t-shirt for a dance studio or something so he's talking about his niece dancing and such.

Finally gets to the end of my transaction and simply says "thanks". Never got a "hello", didn't read off the total, nothing. He was far too entrenched in talking to the dancer.

I should have said something like "if my boobs were bigger would you have had a conversation with me, too?" but I was annoyed and wanted to go home. I did email the store but I doubt they did anything.

I rarely go to the grocery store but I'll probably stop by tonight for some Thanksgiving items. Have to see if the guy is working or not.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                      Went back in there for some tea and a tasty breakfast sandwich. Different girl, another cute guy came in behind me.

She maintained eye contact, was super friendly, got my drink and sandwich and made small chat. I paid and walked off, to hear her go, "Heee-eeeyy" to the guy as he walked up to the counter.

I was like "You see!? That's how you do it!" Flirt with the customer all you want while he's your customer as long as you aren't making a fool of yourself and aren't holding up the line.

For the record, she flirted playfully during the course of the transaction, but once he paid she made one more little joke, said "Bye, have a nice day!" and was perfectly on the ball as the next customer came up.
                      Clone this girl! (only half joking)
                      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                      What's the difference?
                      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

My story is acutally the other way around. I was working at a small taco house and this customer came in one night that was particularly busy. As I moved from the counter taking orders and ringing up customers, to the tables, carrying out food and taking orders, this guy just kept trying to flirt with me and was just up there at the counter making it hard for me to move aroundwith ease as he was in the freakin way. I finally told him, "Look, I'm working and (pointing to my pregnant belly) obviously, I am not available. If you aren't going to order anything, you need to leave."
                        "My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is." - Ellen DeGeneres

Comment

Working...
                        X