This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Ew comment

So on a website that I read regularly, we have the usual types of commenters. I'm browsing one of their articles this morning when this gem comes up:

"Ps, I am a subscriber and demand that my comments be posted. Over 50 have now been refused, either sack your biased staff or you'll lose subscribers."

Dude, they have a code of conduct on their page. Simply put it's "play nice and you'll get posted." Clearly this guy wasn't playing nice or he would've had his comments entered.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

We got a letter to the editor a few weeks back at da paper which accused a local politician of some shady dealings in no uncertain terms. Our normal policy is "With very few exceptions, if you sign it, we'll print it" -- meaning, verbatim (most LttE's we get read like they were written by fourth graders), and space permitting; he called to make sure we got it, and I explained this to the guy. Two weeks after we'd received it, it had yet to run, so he called again, sounding annoyed and coming dangerously close to demanding why, like your EW above.

The Head Ed took the call, and was able to resolve it with a simple response: We can get sued for libel/defamation if we print something like that without proof (it didn't matter who wrote it); he'd worked at papers before where that had happened, and knew of others. HeadEd calmly told the guy that if he could give us some non-hearsay/non-anonymous proof of his allegations, we'd make room to run a summary of his proof alongside the letter. He never called back.
    Last edited by EricKei; 11-10-2014, 03:58 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      (most LttE's we get read like they were written by fourth graders)
      Like the Bloom County strip for 1983-01-31?

Comment

Sounds like some of the letters I've read in my local newspaper . . . only with slightly better spelling.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

You have no idea. Most of them are handwritten, so I get to retype them. Keep in mind that I'm used to correcting textual errors -- yes, part of my actual job is to be a Grammar Nazi On LttE's, unless the writer specifically says otherwise, I gotta do it verbatim...which includes taking my best guess on some of them. *sobs* The horror...THE HORROR!

If we had ratings, I'd +1 you for that link ^_^ I love Bloom County.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

You have no idea. Most of them are handwritten, so I get to retype them. Keep in mind that I'm used to correcting textual errors -- yes, part of my actual job is to be a Grammar Nazi On LttE's, unless the writer specifically says otherwise, I gotta do it verbatim...which includes taking my best guess on some of them. *sobs* The horror...THE HORROR!
            Sounds a little like the handwritten obit we had come in today. Exclamation points everywhere!! Commas, where they don't belong. Periods where none. Were needed. Quotes around "random" words and names.

It was slow today so I took my red pen to it for a little amusement. Still waiting to hear back from the person who mailed in this lovely photocopy of a handwritten (on lined paper) "obituarie."
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I always thought that looseleaf notebook paper was supposed to use non-photo blue -- the horizontal lines seem to randomly be there (at least, partially) on different copiers/etc. Is there some setting in the scanner/printer/etc to intentionally make the lines disappear on copies?

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                I always thought that looseleaf notebook paper was supposed to use non-photo blue -- the horizontal lines seem to randomly be there (at least, partially) on different copiers/etc. Is there some setting in the scanner/printer/etc to intentionally make the lines disappear on copies?
                It probably is SUPPOSED to be, but remember it's a commodity, manufactured at the cheapest possible cost by a company that's making X million sheets a day. The ink color is probably a bit off most days.
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Working...
                X