This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FML

Apply for that accounting job, they said. You can do it, they said. If the people in that dept now can do it...and they obviously can....so can you, they said.

My brain is not wired for numbers, I said. I don't even know the difference between a debit and a credit (in this context), I haven't even balanced a checkbook in years (because I almost never use checks!), this is not a good fit...I said and said and said.

Then I applied anyway, because I was desperate. And they hired me.

Guess which of us was right about my (not) being able to handle the job?

Hint: IT WASN'T "THEM".

Today mgmt dropped the bomb I've been expecting for over a month. Tomorrow I will talk to the union rep to get some information on how this goes down.

In 30 days or less, I will be unemployed for the first time in FORTY YEARS.

Welcome to 2018
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

I'm so sorry! Hugs! I hope you can find something soon that works with your skills. I work with numbers all day and I had a devil of a time getting to the point where I understand it all. It's taken over a year. You'd be better with words.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I would! Thank you Food Lady! I appreciate your good wishes!

At least if I have to go, I will keep my health insurance for a year. My union peeps are going to see if there is any possibility of part time something at the company. It would be better than unemployment

The company that took over the work is on a bus route, although it's a long ride, and I'm not sure how much walking (and in what conditions) is involved. I would like to try taking the bus out there to see if it's doable, because I KNOW I can do the work - although at a pay cut

But I need a weekday off to do that. So I'll have to wait until this gig is over.

Part of me is relieved. The stress was unbelievable. OTOH, unemployment and very little money brings its own stress, so.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
      X