This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When "Kill It With Fire" Goes A Little Too Far

Man tries to kill a spider with a blow torch and accidentally sets his apartment alight

Well I guess that's one way to kill a spider.

They should have done what my father always did with spiders. Get a can of bug spray and drown it. Yes, the spider would drown before the poison could kill it.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

A woman tried to kill a snake in her yard with fire. She ended up burning her house to the ground.
      This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Reminds me of....

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

We used to check how dry the June Grass was by dropping a lit match...
          Damp => no flame.
          Getting Dry ==> swing foot, one step, out.
          Kinda Dry ==> short clog dance.
          Amphetamized tap-dancing elephant! ==> Time to stop dropping matches!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Reminds me of a family story.
            My mothers uncle Harald had a farm and he had trouble with rats under a storage shed.
            He decided to gas them. He had carbide for his bicycle lamp and put a good bit down the rat holes and poured water after it.
            He was standing, waiting to see if the rats would run out or just stay down the holes, when he thought he saw something move down one of the holes. Without thinking he struck a match to look down the rat hole and BOOM, the shed, and much of the ground around it, blew up.
            He got rid of the rats (and his eyebrows), though.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
              Well I guess that's one way to kill a spider.
              The article doesn't say if the spider was actually killed
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                The article doesn't say if the spider was actually killed
                Funnily enough my partner actually did manage to kill a spider with fire. Or to be more specific, he set a spider on fire once when he was a kid. He'd grabbed a can of what he THOUGHT was fly spray only to discover that it was surface spray (as in, cleaning spray). So he decided to set the damn thing alight and see what happened.

He described it as very...anticlimatic.

Comment

A woman I worked with years ago said her husband tried to get rid of a hornet's nest under their siding using a blowtorch.

Yes, it turned out to be a bad decision.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

How did it work out, MC?
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Many years ago a friend discovered a yellow jacket nest the hard way. After dark he poured a quart of gasoline in the hole in the ground. I lit it. What we didn't know was the hole went into a small culvert pipe. When I lit the gas it blew a fire-ball out the end of the culvert pipe straight into the nearby wood lands and we were in the middle of a drought. Bad things just about happened but we were able to put out the fire with a nearby water hose.
                      Before I was born back during the midevil times my grandfather had a corn crib that was infested with mice, rats and other various forms of vermin. He poured kerosene on it and touched it off. Flaming rats ran every which way. Fun was not had by all.
                      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                        Flaming rats ran every which way.
                        The mental image of that is way too funny.

Comment

One of my late hiking buddies found what he thought was a sinkhole in his yard, and tried to dig it up to pack-and-fill.

He didn't realize that down here, yellowjackets make ground nests. He got serious cellulitis on his arm from all the stings!

Comment

Just looked up yellow jackets because I wasn't sure what they were.

Jesus freaking christ! and I thought we had some big bugs in Oz. So glad that the wasps we have don't have nests that get that big.

We have native bees, european bees and wasps, but wasps aren't that common. If you find a nest, all you have to do is report them to your local council/shire and they send out the exterminator. They are classified as pests, so can be destroyed without too many dramas.
                            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                              Just looked up yellow jackets because I wasn't sure what they were.

Jesus freaking christ! and I thought we had some big bugs in Oz.

We have native bees, european bees and wasps, but wasps aren't that common. If you find a nest, all you have to do is report them to your local council/shire and they send out the exterminator. They are classified as pests, so can be destroyed without too many dramas.
                              Oddly, I have several nests of very large wasps in my front yard, and I'm not at all concerned.

Cicada-killers are likely to be the largest wasps you'll see (at least on this continent), but they're also among the least dangerous. The females are a good inch and a half long (males are half that), but they won't sting you unless you actually grab them hard or step on them. The site "What's that bug?" couldn't find anyone who'd actually been stung by one, but they found a published account that described the sting as "like a thumbtack". (They also had pictures of people with several sitting peacefully on their hands.) And these are solitary wasps -- each nest-hole belongs to one female, with up to a dozen or so egg chambers beneath..
                              Last edited by Mental_Mouse; 01-31-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X