This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice?

On Sunday, I did a massive cooking job. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans. I'd already made another side dish the day before. First I cooked, then I cleaned up.

Yesterday, after hanging around the place for some time, I went out. I ate first. When I went out, I had unsweetened tea; nothing else.

I came home, had quite a few cookies, and went to bed.

And stayed up all night. I just couldn't sleep.

In the early morning, an illness struck. Hurried visits to the bathroom, back and forth. During one of these visits - well, let's just say that I'm glad the toilet is right next to the tub, because the grossness came out of both ends simultaneously. Fortunately, that was the only time that I needed to use the tub for illness purposes. The rest of the time, the toilet sufficed.

I took some activated charcoal and went to bed, FINALLY getting some sleep.

This is what I want to know:

If it was the turkey, why didn't I get sick on Christmas Eve?

Was it an overdose of cookies? I'm no longer used to eating lots of sugar.

Dare I continue to eat the turkey? There's a lot of it. After I cooked and ate on Christmas Eve, I waited until the turkey had cooled to room temperature, then put it in a plastic container and put the container in the fridge. I did the same with the other dishes.

What could the cause be? It doesn't seem at all likely that the tea I drank could have contributed.

The way it happened was, I ate dinner at around 6:00 p.m. Christmas Eve. When the food had cooled, it was put in the fridge. I ate it again at about 5:00 p.m. yesterday. I went out about an hour and a half later, had tea and nothing else, then got back home a few hours afterward. I didn't eat any more of the turkey or side dishes. I did, however, eat many cookies. The illness hit at around 5 or 6:00 a.m., so the most recent thing I had eaten was the cookies. It had been at least 12 hours since I ate the turkey.

What's the best thing to do?

Incubation periods vary -- Anything from 1~6 hours to 2+ days, depending on the source. If you're *still* sick after 24 hours, get thine ass to the hospital.

Just about anything could have simply been contaminated. As for the iced tea -- improperly-filtered water, perhaps? For the cookies -- if they were undercooked, that could cause an issue.
    Last edited by EricKei; 12-26-2017, 05:12 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It was hot tea, not iced, so it doesn't seem likely that it was the cause.

A few years ago, I changed my diet drastically, all but eliminating refined sugar. Earlier this year, I was put on thyroid medication, which increased my appetite and caused me to crave sweet things. I've just been checking online, and discovered that some people get sick after overindulging in sweets, especially when they haven't had much sugar in a long time.

Maybe that's it. Nothing has happened since this morning, and I don't have a fever, aches, etc. If it had been the turkey - well, things would have been MUCH worse, in my opinion.

I'm a little hungry, but I'm not going to consume anything other than water for the time being.

Comment

Probably a good idea. May wanna just toss all of the leftovers *unless* nobody else got sick at all. If that is the case, you may have had something else in your system that was the root cause. (not a doctor, natch)
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I live alone, so nobody else ate any of the food. Unless you count my cat, who adores turkey, and insisted on having her share. But, of course, kitties can eat all kinds of grossness that we can't.

There are lots of leftovers, and I don't want to just toss them. Tomorrow, I'm going to try eating a small amount of food, and see what happens.

I forgot to mention that a couple of months ago, I indulged in some doughnuts. Large, hefty doughnuts. After eating one (and, as I said, they were LARGE), I spent several days feeling like shit. Really, several days. Headache, nausea, lethargy. I thought it was a reaction to the food coloring - and that may have been part of it - but now, I think it was also the sugar.
          Last edited by Eireann; 12-26-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

It may well be from the cookies. In your place, I would have a small meal from the leftovers and monitor how I felt for the next 24 hours.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

If you're gonna eat the leftovers nuke them until they're hot not just warm.
              Lay off the sweets. BTW tea is supposed to be sweet and iced.
              Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

It was the cookies. I've eaten the other leftovers (hot, not just warm), and they're fine.

Man, time was when I could scarf down all kinds of sweet grossness and keep on going. I guess those days are gone. Probably just as well.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                  BTW tea is supposed to be sweet and iced.
                  Philistine. *drinks (hot milky) tea in your general direction*.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Fine. We'll compromise on the tea.

*sets out a jug of sun tea to brew out on the porch*

...We'll add the ice later

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Fine. We'll compromise on the tea.

*sets out a jug of sun tea to brew out on the porch*

...We'll add the ice later
                      Fair enough
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I'll settle for a Long Island iced tea.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          I'll settle for a Long Island iced tea.
                          Generally I'm not big on drinking but the wife and I do enjoy a pitcher of LIIT.
                          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
                          X