This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Christmas De-briefing Thread

This is for those of us who love our families but are tired of having our views/modes of living/feelings criticized. When you go determined not to get into it over controversial topics and be the positive one and it all falls apart...

The thing this year was my dad lecturing me because of how other relatives are going from job to job and I might, too. One has a degree that's pretty much useless and the other is 21 so he's figuring things out still. I just quit a job of 13 years and sometimes think of quitting the one I've had a year (after following good friends' advice to hang in there for 12 months which I did.)

Nevermind I've gotten out of retail (the 13-year job) and into a job with much better pay and benefits. That's not good enough because at times I hate it, just like every job I've ever had, which is apparently because I didn't finish college. Because a degree I spent thousands on will automatically make me like working outside the home and I won't hate my job 8 months in like I do every single one of them. It's great if someone has a job she likes or goes to school for one, but my take is this: a job is a tool I use to fund what I really want to do which is stuff outside of work. It's not the source of my self-worth nor fulfillment. It's simply a means to an end. I explained that and apparently that makes me strange to my stepmom. My dad started yelling at me that it's my mom's fault for being a homemaker (which is work, dude--not to mention she ran her own business while doing so). In fact, he blames everyone else for the things I have said time and again are my fault and that I'm taking responsibility for. Why can't he just let me do that?

I actually told my parents that I've discovered they are not the ones to be real with; they can't handle it. I think that hurt their feelings but it's true. I wish I hadn't said it.

I don't know what I'm going to do next year. I drove over 100 miles for this.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Talk of politics and religion were avoided, therefore no bloodshed.

Also, The Wife has bronchitis, and still managed to sing a beautiful solo for the Christmas Eve service.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Your dad sounds like a criticizing ass. My dad is the same. The other day I was mentioning that my brother, who stocks for a grocery store, must be tired because it's his first full time job. My dad said said, but only because he has to actually work, not just sit on my ass like I did. Basically, he thinks general labor jobs are a lot harder than customer service jobs because they are more physical. Urgh he makes me so mad. Having done both, I say they are equally hard but in different ways. I told him how the stress from my CS job made me sick and throw up, and he says that I shouldn't complain because I chose that job. Yeah right. I didn't "choose" that job. When you're desperate, you'll take anything. Now I don't talk to him anymore about that.
      Can't reason with the unreasonable.
      The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Christmas Eve we watched football, then drove around our town looking at Christmas lights.

Our son woke us up at 6 AM Christmas morning. We let him open his presents. I made roast rack of lamb and risotto. That night we watched the Doctor Who Christmas Special.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
          Your dad sounds like a criticizing ass. My dad is the same. The other day I was mentioning that my brother, who stocks for a grocery store, must be tired because it's his first full time job. My dad said said, but only because he has to actually work, not just sit on my ass like I did. Basically, he thinks general labor jobs are a lot harder than customer service jobs because they are more physical. Urgh he makes me so mad. Having done both, I say they are equally hard but in different ways. I told him how the stress from my CS job made me sick and throw up, and he says that I shouldn't complain because I chose that job. Yeah right. I didn't "choose" that job. When you're desperate, you'll take anything. Now I don't talk to him anymore about that.
          CS-facing jobs can be mentally draining.

Heck, even non CS-facing jobs can be mentally draining. I'm a software engineer, and I've come home some days and felt mentally beat.

I've done foodservice before, too. That can be mentally and physically draining.

When I worked in foodservice, I actually had someone tell me once, "I wouldn't do your job, but I couldn't do your job."

Not exactly sure what that meant, but it was told to me.

My mother worked in a factory for 25+ years.

My wife is a Stay-at-home-mom. That's a tough job, too.

Comment

I had my brother, his wife, and her mom at my house for Christmas weekend. I felt like I was playing referee between my brother and his wife. They argue over practically everything. He complains about nearly everything she does. They can't agree on whether to get another pet (he wants a cat, she doesn't), much less whether they want to have kids (she wants a kid, he doesn't). I cringed any time either one of them went "honEEEEEY...."

By brother's wife and her mom are Korean, and mom doesn't have a good command of English. While I tried to include mom in conversations, the language barrier made it difficult. The only time it became an issue was when my SIL asked me to make some rice, and her mom tried to take over for me. I know how to make rice, thank you. I know how my rice cooker works, and yes, it needs more water. Unless you want crunchy rice.

But mostly it was nice. The gals made kimbap and chapchae for dinner one day, and ham fried rice with kimchi another day. I feel like I got spoiled by all the yummy Korean food. They left me a gallon jar full of homemade kimchi.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

I had to work on Monday so the kid and I did our Christmas on Sunday instead. Nice dinner and just hanging out is always good. And it was quiet, which is a gift in and of itself. My mother sent a passive-aggressive FB message to me to way Merry Christmas, but I haven't responded to it yet.

We had several invites to spend Christmas with friends of ours and the kid did end up going to a friend's place for food and board games Christmas Day while I stayed home hugging a bucket...I'm still not used to the idea that I can't eat the same amount of sugary Christmas treats that I used to be able to. Stupid diabetes, but it was my own fault that I wound up sick. Bleh.

Next year, if I'm still working at the same place, I'll be working Christmas Day yet again. But at least the pay makes it worth dragging my butt out of bed earlier than I'd prefer to be up on a holiday!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                The thing this year was my dad lecturing me because of how other relatives are going from job to job and I might, too.
                If my dad started that shit with me...I'd rip him a pair of assholes. Why? Because he quit a *very* good job to go into business for himself. Sure, he could write articles, but otherwise, had no idea what the hell he was doing. While he took the time to at least set the company up...there were no plans in the works of what to do if he suddenly couldn't pay his bills. When the steel industry here imploded in 1981-82, most of his clients went out of business. They couldn't pay him, he couldn't pay his art director or his vendors. She actually sued him over breach of contract and won, which damaged the company to the point of no return.

When the firm was failing, he started working part time at various stores. He bounced from job to job until about 2001, when he somehow roped my mom into getting his ass educated (a rant in itself) to become a teacher. Before and after that, he would rail at length about how stupid someone was if they worked in customer service or didn't have a "real job." Really? This was a guy who spent most of my childhood either "between jobs" or unemployed. We only kept our house because my mom worked multiple jobs. He actually flipped out when my brother commented on his shortcomings.

Now that my parents are divorced (as of last October), I don't have to deal with his (or his half-sister's) shit. While my family is still recovering, it's good to be able to attend any holiday gathering, and not have to deal with drama. We can actually go on vacation, bust each others' balls, and can actually *relax.*
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Speaking of Family Christmas...I'm just gonna drop this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTOxHOcicqA

Comment

My youngest daughter invited her boyfriend over for Christmas dinner. Except for my oldest son and his family the whole crew was there 17 people and BF makes 18.
                    While we were getting things ready both of my sons, both son-in-laws and the BF went out to the barn to feed the calves and hogs. While out there the BF started asking questions about my daughter Z specifically her past dating history. The boy let it slip that he was only really interested in a FWB or booty call relationship and made some other very rude comments regarding my older daughters and wife. My SILs and middle son perp-marched him to his car and run him off with some subtle suggestions to stay away from Z.
                    Z was upset but soldiered on. So far the boy has stayed away.
                    I just don't understand how someone could make such comments and not expect to be run off in the least.
                    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                      ... I just don't understand how someone could make such comments and not expect to be run off in the least.
                      !What! happened out there? "We just threw some shit on the manure pile."
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        !What! happened out there? "We just threw some shit on the manure pile."
                        When the boys came in without the BF Z and told Z what happened, she was upset but eventually understood. Before I could comment my youngest son (8) said we should have fed him to the hogs.
                        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                          Before I could comment my youngest son (8) said we should have fed him to the hogs.
                          That is what I call a really good little brother. He deserves extra xmas goodies just for that.
                          A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                            Before I could comment my youngest son (8) said we should have fed him to the hogs.
                            In my family...he'd be lucky if he didn't get shot. 80 acres of farmland, plenty of room to hide bodies
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

And then you feed him to the hogs.
                              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                              Save the Ales!
                              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                              X