This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest start to the New Year

With what comes with old age I couldn't sleep this past night so to pass the time and get in some thinking I was bundled up in my chiller-killer suit and setting on the front porch in my rocking chair watching world go by. Around 4:00am I hear some very loud cars crank-up to the north and in just a few minutes they get exponentially louder and are coming my way heading south. Just as they come into sight the car to the left appears to bump the car on the right which goes into the ditch on the right. The car continues down the ditch line still going very fast hits the culvert for my drive-way. WHOMP and the car cart-wheels way up in the air clearing my concrete and brick mail-box and lands on its side and rolls down my fence line sending freshly painted newly installed white and green wooden splinters every where.
    The car in the left lane runs into the ditch on the left and jumps it and starts rolling up a few hundred feet of steel fence posts and 5-strands of barb-wire fencing. Dust, dirt, splinter, leaves and what-not fills the air making it very hard to see.
    I dig my phone out of my pocket and call 911 and tell them to send the LEO, first responders and ambulances. I go inside to wake the wife, daughter and the remaining adults. The wife grabs the first aid/trauma kit and some old wool blankets. We jump on the Mule and take off down the drive-way and through the gate. As we make the turn I see what looks like an arm laying on the embankment. We stop near the right car and the girls bale out to check out that car and the wife and I proceed to the other car. It wasn't pretty. To avoid the gory details, the driver and passenger of the right car were full of splinters, had several crush injuries and will be lucky to live. The guys in the other car, will be OK, the driver had a steel fence post come through the floor and impaled his leg and the passenger was knocked out.
    Those who be arrived and stabilized them all and toted them off to the ER. The arm we saw was from a manikin.
    This is the fifth time that street racers have crashed and run through my fences the last time was a month ago. I've been after and been after the LEOs to stop the racing before someone gets killed, to date all they've caught has been those who crashed.
    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Too bad we're not allowed DIY traffic-calming devices...

Active speed humps* would be great. (like a speed bump but 3 feet wide)
    Vehicle approaching <= speed limit ... dead level.
    > speed limit ... rise proportionl to over speed...
    ... ass rabbit gets the full 9 inches.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I know they're unsightly but can you put concrete blocks along the edge of your property? It sounds as though one of these days, one or both vehicles belonging to idiots like these could end up in your living room.

Kudos to you all for going to see what you could do to help.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        I know they're unsightly but can you put concrete blocks along the edge of your property? It sounds as though one of these days, one or both vehicles belonging to idiots like these could end up in your living room.

Kudos to you all for going to see what you could do to help.
        I've asked both the city and county to put up guard rails and they said no, I then tried to get a construction permit to put up my own guard rails and was told no, because the guard rails could kill or injure auto passengers if hit and I'd then be liable. I then tried to get another permit to build a poured and formed concrete and brick fence line, denied same reason. So I then asked at both city and county commission meetings why does my families lives have little to no value but the criminal racers have more? I received no answer. So many years ago the wife regraded the pasture to the north of the house to be a steeper berm that should catch out-of-control cars. I'm next going to try and build a cable tension retaining system like you see om the interstates.
        It's a damn shame that I can't get the LEOs to stop or slow down the racing, I guess someone here will have to get killed before I can sue both the city and county out of existence.
        Last I heard all in the crashed cars should live.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
          because the guard rails could kill or injure auto passengers if hit and I'd then be liable.
          That is one of the STUPIDEST things I have heard. A proper guardrails is designed to give and slowdown the vehicle to PREVENT injuries or death.

I wonder if you could install one of these behind you picket fence, so no one can see it. Or maybe contact the company and see if they will give a presentation to the city/county on their product and how it can save lives.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            That is one of the STUPIDEST things I have heard. A proper guardrails is designed to give and slowdown the vehicle to PREVENT injuries or death.

I wonder if you could install one of these behind you picket fence, so no one can see it. Or maybe contact the company and see if they will give a presentation to the city/county on their product and how it can save lives.
            Yeah that's what I would like to build, I called it a cable tension barrier. I still have to a construction permit, if I don't they'll make me take it down after I get it built.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
              Yeah that's what I would like to build, I called it a cable tension barrier. I still have to a construction permit, if I don't they'll make me take it down after I get it built.
              You won't have to take it down. The road racers will do that for you.

Put a mysterious looking box with blinking lights on it next to the road, with something pointing down the road. Then put up a sign saying speed cameras are in use.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I kid you not I just heard another set go down the road. It seems like every time there is a Street Outlaws marathon on the racing gets worse.
                I was told earlier today to save having my fences hit I should move them further from the road. Codes enforcement came out and told my wife we should pick up all the splinters and broken boards within a week or risk getting a littering summons. My middle son (24) had a few choice colorful metaphors for him.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                  I kid you not I just heard another set go down the road. It seems like every time there is a Street Outlaws marathon on the racing gets worse.
                  Um, I've seen commercials for these shows, I think. Don't they usually happen at drag strips?

Is there a drag strip near you where these people could race?
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                    Um, I've seen commercials for these shows, I think. Don't they usually happen at drag strips?

Is there a drag strip near you where these people could race?
                    Yeah there is one about 8 miles away but it's closed this time of year. From what the FD told me on the DL the folks in the crashed cars were all drunk.
                    The Street Outlaw's show race on the streets but from all the equipment they have there to shoot the show it has to be with local government/LEO cooperation or it's a private road they race on and they usually race on the same road. Also sometimes they race on tracks but most of show is ran on the "streets."
                    I saw a bunch of ads for their races they had at BIR in Bristol, TN which is in my extended AO (About 130 miles away.) However I think that was all run in August.
                    When I was a kid my peers raced on a road that was under construction. I didn't race mostly because I could only imagine what my Mom would have done and I didn't have a car worth racing.
                    I just wish they'd stop racing on my road sooner or later they're going to take out some innocent folks.

Comment

Working...
                    X