X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could,

would you move to a different country?
    My 23 yr old bro has been disenchanted here and has moved to a whole different country (on an impulse) to live in. Basically, he doesn't like the people here. I don't either, but this is my HOME. I think he's crazy. First of all, he's moved south, which is warmer, (I prefer the cold) and the only country I'd consider moving to would probably be Canada. Plus he barely knows the language there so how can he find a job?? So is he crazy to be moving like that?
    Also, where would you like to move if you could?
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

I would want to move someplace warmer and more liberal. I don't think such a place exists.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

I live in a smaller town (21K people) in Texas, and it's home to me. I don't see myself moving from here unless I have to, for some reason. Though I did move about an hour away briefly for five or six years.

Quoth Ghel View Post
      I would want to move someplace warmer and more liberal. I don't think such a place exists.
      Austin, San Antonio, or Houston are probably about as close as you'd get, unless you wanted to move to L.A. or Maybe New Orleans.
      Last edited by EricKei; 01-11-2018, 03:14 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My husband has recently put in an application for a job in Okinawa. If by some miracle he was offered it, we would have many factors to consider. It's really different when you have kids and pets you're responsible for. He's also put in applications in Canada and Nova Scotia. If I had to choose I think I could live in Germany or Japan, but I don't know if I would want it to be permanent or not.

As for learning languages, I think it's surprising how fast people can learn a new language when they absolutely have to.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth mjr
          Austin, San Antonio, or Houston are probably about as close as you'd get, unless you wanted to move to L.A. or Maybe New Orleans.
          The OP asked about moving countries, but if we're talking about states, I'd probably choose California, not Texas or Louisiana.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

A different country? Probably not, though I might be willing to consider Great Britain or some of the European countries (though I'd prefer to stay with an English speaking country- I have no talent for learning languages) if I HAD to move to another country. Canada might be ok, though big chunks of it get way too flippin' cold for my tastes.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I did it and I'd say 'go for it' to anyone that is thinking about moving countries.

I live in Oz and I moved to Dublin, Ireland and then London, UK. It was only for 1 year and 2 years with the help of youth work visas, but I would move back to either of those in a heart beat.

It is a very different experience living in a different country. I have trouble learning languages, so I wouldn't move to a country that wasn't mostly English speaking.

One of my friends is originally from New Zealand. He spent 2 years living and working in South America (can't think of the country atm), then 6 years living and working in Oz and has now called Finland home for the last 6 or 7 years.

The only issues I had was homesickness. When I was in Dublin and London, I missed the beach, my car and my book collection. Since I've been back in Melbourne, I miss my friends, my last London bosses and the Tube. It sounds silly, but I also miss not being the only redhead in an area. In Dublin, it was nice seeing other gingers around. Dublin just felt like home as soon as I got there. London grew on me and I didn't want to leave, but my work couldn't sponsor me because of changes to immigration laws.

I was also going to get a Canadian work visa, but I didn't have enough savings to qualify at the time. By the time I did, I was too close to 30 to get the visa in time.

He is 23. It's the perfect age for spreading your wings. I was 24 when I moved to Dublin. If it doesn't work out in the country he is in, tell him to look at the Youth Mobility Work Visas. I'm pretty sure he can have at least 12 months in Oz, New Zealand, UK and Ireland. Not sure about Canada.
              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

<mod hat on>

Please remember to keep politics out of the discussion, all. Thanks!

</mod hat off>

New Orleans...? Eh...It's complicated. PM me for the tl;dr version if ye wish. Fun place to live (tho it's 85+% humidity year-round and the summer really does last about 8 months there...), though I would strongly recommend the suburbs to the West over the city proper. Keep in mind that a trip (along I-10) from the Western reaches of the Greater NOLA area (around the airport) to downtown takes 15 minutes, tops, without traffic; it's not that big of a city. Going across the lake, however, that's half an hour just for that big long bridge
                Last edited by EricKei; 01-11-2018, 03:20 AM.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                  I did it and I'd say 'go for it' to anyone that is thinking about moving countries.

The only issues I had was homesickness.
                  Interesting, I love to travel and all but the most I'll stay in a different country is a few weeks, otherwise I get homesick and I couldn't travel to a non English speaking country at all, for fear I'll get lost and won't be able to communicate. I definitely won't be able to move anywhere else. And while I know he wants to "get away from it all" why do I have to pay for it?! That rat. We do have family in the country he's going to and he plans to mooch. But they aren't as nice as me and will kick him out soon enough. Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm still in shock and my thoughts are bouncing around all over the place. I'm also worried because he doesn't have street smarts and might be robbed and beated somewhere.
                  Last edited by EricKei; 01-12-2018, 12:50 AM. Reason: snip

Comment

There are many countries I'd love to visit, but I'd rather live in the U.S. Now, if I wanted to move to another part of the country if I could (one preferably with less cold winters than Massachusetts)? I'd be up for that, if I could afford it.

Comment

Move to another country? No, I'm happy here. The weather is great, because I love the rain and clouds and fog. I also love beautiful mild summers with humidity in the comfortable range. Not too dry not too wet. The people are fine, and I certainly wouldn't move somewhere else thinking they'd somehow be better! That's just not going to happen. People are people, everywhere. If, someday, I traveled to a place that I totally fell in love with I would think of moving. Until then, bring on the rain and flannel and coffee.
                      Last edited by notalwaysright; 01-12-2018, 06:29 PM. Reason: wtf, I know the difference between too and to I promise!
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                        And while I know he wants to "get away from it all" why do I have to pay for it?!
                        I'm confused, why are you paying for it?
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

If I HAD to, and could afford to, I would probably choose Canada, even though I hate cold weather; I already live very close to the US/Canadian border, and in many ways it's not that different "up north"

I visited England way back in the early 80's, and I loved it, but I don't think I could live there permanently; many things are too different (not bad, just different).
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            Move to another country? No, I'm happy here. The weather is great, because I love the rain and clouds and fog. I also love beautiful mild summers with humidity in the comfortable range. Not too dry not too wet. The people are fine, and I certainly wouldn't move somewhere else thinking they'd somehow be better! That's just not going to happen. People are people, everywhere. If, someday, I traveled to a place that I totally fell in love with I would think of moving. Until then, bring on the rain and flannel and coffee.
                            I know right? The people drive me crazy here sometimes but I couldn't be anywhere else. Plus as you said, they're the same everywhere. The weather is the only thing, sometimes we get BLISTERING hot summers here, and the humidity is awful but whatever. My bro is moving somewhere where the centipedes are a foot long and the spiders are tarantulas--UGH! I don't know what he's thinking. My family sacrificed so MUCH to live here and he's just stomping all over it. :\

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            I'm confused, why are you paying for it?
                            Good question, I meant that both physically and figuratively. He left me alone with my elderly Dad, who could fall sick anytime and we do NOT get along at all. Dad has a wife, but she's battling cancer, so she's in no shape to care for him either. My sister is busy with her kid. So it's up to me to not be B**** and care for him (he's gets sick a lot cuz he's old). And I thought, at first, Bro was just taking a vacation, so I gave him money, figuring he needs one after dealing with crankys at the grocery store he works at, I didn't know he was MOVING there! He left all his things and didn't even take his pet! Like I said, I'm still shocked but I bet he'll be asking for me to wire him some money, which I WON'T! I didn't raise him to be so irresponsible and impulsive, I guess my sister's influence got to him. She's the one who encouraged him to go, which I found out later. She doesn't like the people here either and plans to leave soon. I bet her hubby will be pleased...NOT!
                            Ugh family drama...-_- /vent
                            Last edited by HotelMinion; 01-13-2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

He left me alone with my elderly Dad, who could fall sick anytime and we do NOT get along at all. Dad has a wife, but she's battling cancer, so she's in no shape to care for him either. My sister is busy with her kid. So it's up to me to not be B**** and care for him (he's gets sick a lot cuz he's old).
                              Sounds like it might be time to look at assisted living or home help of some kind for your dad and stepmom(?). Not sure how that all works where you live, but I'm sure enough have been in similar situations on here that might be able to offer you some advice or point you in the right direction.

And I thought, at first, Bro was just taking a vacation, so I gave him money, figuring he needs one after dealing with crankys at the grocery store he works at, I didn't know he was MOVING there! He left all his things and didn't even take his pet! Like I said, I'm still shocked but I bet he'll be asking for me to wire him some money, which I WON'T! I didn't raise him to be so irresponsible and impulsive, I guess my sister's influence got to him. She's the one who encouraged him to go, which I found out later. She doesn't like the people here either and plans to leave soon. I bet her hubby will be pleased...NOT!
                              Ugh family drama...-_- /vent
                              And your brother needs a swift hit to the back of the head to get his brain working again. Maybe one for your sister too. There is no way he did not plan at least a few weeks ahead. He is a selfish arse for not having made his plans known and arranged for the proper care of his pet and belongings. And no money for him either.

When I left to move to Dublin, I was putting plans in place 6 months before I left before I'd even gotten my Visa. I was lucky that I still lived with my parents, so I didn't have to put my stuff into storage. I was also coming back at some point too. My room was pretty much as I left it expect mum ate all my chocolate stash and drank all my booze. (I did give her permission and showed her where it was.)
                              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                              X