This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just needed to vent

So is it bad that I am kind of hoping that when i go to work after vacation that they will let me go. I work for a company that will soon no longer be. I have been preparing for the end. I have two months of rent and car payment, I've paid off most of my credit card bills. I have been kind of lax at job hunting, because I hate it and I always struggle with change.

However, on my vacation they have laid off three full time positions including the only manager I really liked. I will find out Monday if I will still have a job or not. I might be safe, I barely make more than minimum wage, so I might be safe this round. Although I am not looking forward to working there.

I kicked up the job hunt, even applied at a gas station, which I am not really crazy about. If I can get a full time job, I can put my two weeks notice. However a lot of jobs are part time, so I feel as long as I can have this full time job, I just need to suck it up and save money until the end. Hopefully if I can't get a full time job, I can get a part time job to work around this job, so when it does end I have something at least.

I feel bad, part of me is hoping that they made the choice for me, and at least i get some severance pay, and sometimes it easier to get job when you get that kick in the pants. Sorry just need to vent.

Hey, venting is what the board is for ^__^

Sounds like yer doing it exactly right: Going by the assumption of a worst-case scenario, so you'll be prepared.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Snaptwitch View Post
      I feel bad, part of me is hoping that they made the choice for me, and at least i get some severance pay, and sometimes it easier to get job when you get that kick in the pants.
      Are they paying a severance package as they lay people off? If it goes too long, there may not be any packages left.

I have always found it easier to get a job when you are employed. There is always that question of why you are unemployed. "Yeah. Right. You got laid off. Next!"

When everything is falling in around you, it can be very difficult to motivate yourself to go out and sell yourself. Personally, I think that you should put in a few applications at places you don't want to work. Try to get a job interview. Use it as practice.

Good luck!
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I think this time they are from what I heard, of. I do know that I am probably better off with this job, until I find something else. I just dread working there, it was already bad enough. However this was motivation enough to start being more aggressive in job hunting. I think before, I knew it was coming but I am not always the best with change. However it comes weather you like it or not, so I better be prepared.

I'm not sure of learning this through coworkers through Facebook is a good thing or bad thing. I mean at least I can get a head start, but now I have to wait the weekend to find out. Thanks for listening. :-)

Comment

Sounds like you are doing the right things, saving money and keeping your job as long as you can to save more money.

Can a random internet stranger offer some job search advice? You no longer have 1 of your days off. Your job then is to find another job. You get 1 15 minute break after 2 hours of solid work and then you are back at it.

Clean up your resume. Do NOT disqualify yourself for any job. If it looks good, apply even if you not sure if you are qualified. A good cover letter that points out your years of customer service and money handling experience might just make the difference.

Look into government work. Its not for everyone, but the money is steady and there are bennies. The city you live in has a webpage, as well as the county, the state and the feds. Check out your local unemployment office, they have job postings as well.

I know that looking for a new job is horrible. Its easy to feel ground down and hopeless, but as long as you keep trying, something will happen. When you stop trying, nothing will.

Good luck!

Comment

STTP's advice is right-on. And you are very wise for having 2 months of rent saved. I think if you still have a job you should stick it out and keep job hunting. I got my job with great benefits simply by putting my resumé online when I was looking for a second job. I got a full-time one instead. I did work both jobs for a year but then quit the original that had become my part-time. You never know who might see your resumé and be interested.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Thanks for the advice. An update I was called into the office and offered a key holder position. I do not think I am going to take it. They could not tell me what my pay raise would be, but i don't think it will be enough to make it worth it taking the job. I told them I would think about it, because I didn't want to make a rash decision either way. I want to consider the pros and cons.

There are two pros that I can think of more money and experience. I doubt it will be a lot of money, but every little bit helps. The other is is experience, it would look good on a resume' or application.

There are more cons. Crappy hours, I have a feeling it will be more closings, and I will lose my every other weekend off schedule. When I do start a new job, I am probably going to have crappy hours, so I kind of want to keep my decent schedule while I work here. I also don't like being in charge, I am not a big fan of telling other people what to do, and trying to get them to do their job. I am a lead, and I do manage in my department, and I have improved in that aspect a lot. I just don't know if I want to do it in a bigger scale. It also sounds like I would still be a lead, I would still have to worry about my department.

If something goes wrong and I am the key holder, its all on me. That makes me a bit nervous. I have done it in a smaller store but the raise had been wroth it at the time. Plus cranky customers, can't just pass it on to manager.

So I am leaning towards not taking it. I might ask another key holder some things in the morning. However I feel the raise will not be worth the responsibility. Especially for some place that feels like the end is near.

Comment

The things you just posted would be reasons for me not to take it. You can put management on your resumé because that's what you do in your department. And I bet the raise really wouldn't be enough to justify being the scapegoat. This is just my gut talking, but I guess it agrees with yours. Maybe moving up really means moving up to another company at some point.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Small update. I turned down the promotion, it would only meant 50 cents more. That money was not worth the anxiety and crappy hours. I am perfectly happy spending the last days where I am.

Comment

Working...
                  X