This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat question

I have a diabetic cat. He seems to be getting along well with his twice-daily insulin shots.

But last night something -- off -- happened.

For whatever reason, he normally spends a lot of time in my bedroom closet (yes, there's a lot of bad jokes to be had there ). I was worried about it when he started going in there, but have now accepted that it's one of his "go-to" places.

But last night, he was curled up on top of some stuff in my coat closet. Not so odd in itself but he seemed a bit "out of it." Normally he comes prancing out when I walk around the apartment (probably just in case I'm going to get some food) but last night ... nothing. Just some vague looks.

Normally he comes and sprawls next to me on the bed during the night. Not last night.

Finally at 5 a.m. I couldn't stand it any more. I went into the kitchen and opened a tin of cat food, to see if that would spark his interest. It did.

But ...

There was already some kibble in one bowl and I put the canned food in another bowl, right next to it.

The only way I can describe him is "ravenous." He acted as if he hadn't been fed in three days. He swung from the canned food to the kibble and then back again, and at one point when I reached down to pet him, he actually made a growly noise. He never does this. At most I get an indignant squeak that I am disturbing him in his eating.

I kept adding canned food as he ate ... more and more and more. It was only a small can (size of a standard can of tuna) but I swear he ate nearly an entire can! That too is uncharacteristic. He finally slowed down and then came to a halt, actually leaving some canned food in the bowl.

I went back to bed and when I woke late this morning he was in his usual place on the bed. Today he is still taking up space on the bed, which is normal.

I wondered if I'd given him an extra shot of insulin, but I do keep careful track of his shots and there's no indication that I did so (and I'm not sure that would've been the results even if I had).

Anybody ever seen this before? He's back to normal today, as I said, so I'm not going to rush him off to the vet on the basis of some bizarre behaviour before the crack of dawn. But it really was strange ... and more than a little scary.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Definitely call your vet and ask about it, even if he seems normal again in the morning. That does sound like he somehow had an insulin overdose, or maybe he didn't have enough food in his system when you last gave him a shot (could be he ate less and you didn't know it, or that he was sick and tossed his cookies when you weren't around, etc)???
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yup, what Eric said. Talk to your vet. Could easily be nothing, but definitely worthwhile to get an opinion from a pro.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Will do. He's definitely back to normal, which is nice.

I don't think I failed to feed him as I have a routine: insulin shot, return insulin to fridge, take out cat food and feed both cats. But your issue about him possibly yarking up his meal is something to consider ... especially since I haven't found anything gross ... yet ...

Vet clinic is open tomorrow so I can drop in and get a new sharpie container and ask them at the same time.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Okay, now I am even more confused.

Kitty's odd lethargy indicates too much insulin.

His ravenous appetite suggests just the opposite ... in fact, that's one of the warning symptoms that a cat has untreated diabetes.

He's doing this on purpose, I just know it ...
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
            ... He's doing this on purpose, I just know it ...
            As the Chinese say, "May you live with interesting cats."
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              As the Chinese say, "May you live with interesting cats."

Shoulda gone with a hamster, dammit ...
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post

... hamster, dammit ...
                Sleep all day, run all night. Just add elderberries.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                X