This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little social experiment

Have a hypothetical situation, which I would like to know the communities answer to. Though I see no reason that this would veer into fratching, please keep it from doing so.

You are approached and offered a part in a very unique social experiment. Total, complete isolation from human contact. Your job (if you have one) will be guaranteed to be there when you return..and you will make your current salary/wage/whatever +10k a month. However..in return you will be put on a luxury deserted island..and not allowed to communicate with ANYBODY. ((Everything you could want besides human contact would be there..all the games, food, etc..but you would never see or interact with anybody..and you would not be able to contact anybody else either)). You would get one week before the experiment started to let everybody know what was going on, where you would be, etc...but after that..no contact.

You could leave the experiment at any time, with whatever money you have accumulated (partial months would be pro rated)...after 6 months.. leaving before then would forfeit any money.

So..who would do it..and who would not?
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

I couldn't do it. Children change so quickly that after 6 months I might not even recognize my son, all the money in the world can't make up for lost time with him.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Oh, god, no. I would kill myself, and that's not hyperbole, isolation is very bad for me.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

If I didn't have Rugz and the kids, I'd do it. Sounds like a lovely break, and being paid to read, eat, swim and sleep would be wonderful.
        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

The concept is very similar to the Russian Mars trip simulation experiment. If I remember correctly, 6 people, confined quarters, delayed communications, etc. I also think that they paid better.

I don't think that I am that desperate to earn an additional $120K. Also, I am married. I would not want to stick The Wife with the additional burden. I also would not want to stick her with the additional burden of a 15 year old dog who probably won't survive another year.

Lastly, my parents are in their 80s. I would not want to take the risk that one or both may pass away while I am isolated.

So, no.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

As awesome as it would be to be paid to play video games and such I have had times where I have had very little outside contact for just a week at a time and nearly went nuts from it.

That said, all the games/books/music/whatever else I could ever want would I think eventually get old without someone to talk to about said books/games/activities. Half the fun of playing most games is comparing notes with my friends about what they thought or did differently.

Comment

As much as it may seem I would enjoy something like this, I don't think I could go any significant length of time totally without human contact.

So no.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Not a chance. I wouldn't last a month before I'd lose it for need of contact.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I could do it. No problem!

Comment

If it was only for 6 months - I could do it.

I have always been the type of person to prefer being alone. I have never been a very social creature. I could easily spend 6 months reading a library's worth of books. If tools were provided, I could start a garden or build things. The possibilities would be almost endless. Throw in some gym equipment and I would be set.

The only thing that I think would stop me is my husband. If I was still single, I would say "sign me up" but I dont know if I could be away from hubby for that long (especially without any contact at all)

Also, there would need to be some sort of emergency contact point in case of injury or serious illness

But a very interesting experiment........
                    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Bring it on... I've been doing it for years. It would be nice to get paid for it too.

Comment

I couldn't do it, I'd miss my family and friends too much. Sometimes I need to be alone, but nowhere near that much, I'd get really depressed, I think.
                        The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

I'd prolly do it for a couple months just for the extra money. After that, nope.

Comment

If I didn't have a child, I'd do it. I have no problem with being alone for long lengths of time. Heck, I worked alone in a darkroom and lived with a man I didn't see for weeks at a time while I was doing it. I was told I lasted longer in that job than anyone prior. The isolation got to everyone else.

I feel myself getting a little weird(er), but being alone does not bother me.

Comment

I would do it.
                              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                              X