This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a new build?

Ok, I think it's about time for me to rebuild my Linux computer. It's just too slow right now.

I've heard that I'm supposed to start with the processor, and then build around that. Anyone else heard that?

I'm not looking to spend thousands, I just want something faster.

So I'm wondering:

Processor: AMD vs Intel? I'm thinking at least 3.5 GHz, and it doesn't have to be the latest generation. I'd like to get a decent one for under $200 if possible.

How much RAM should I really shoot for? I'm thinking I probably want a minimum of 16GB.

Storage: SSD vs HDD. And what sizes?

I'm planning on running a 64 bit version of Ubuntu on it, because some of the programs I want to put on there aren't available as 32 bit versions.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I think the biggest issue I'm facing is making sure everything is compatible.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I'll probably rebuild mine as well within the next few months, but I'm not sure what speed processor to tell you right now. I've gone back and forth between AMD and Intel over the years. I preferred AMD for the longest time, but my last few builds have been Intel and I've been happy with them.

I have 16GB RAM in my current build, which is about three years old, so maybe you want to go with a little more than that. I haven't looked at prices lately, but last time I rebuilt, I was going to go with 8GB, but when I saw how affordable RAM had become, I decided to double it.

I haven't used any SSD so far, but I probably will for my next build.

I would definity use a 64 bit processor and operating system, regardless of whether you're going with Linux or Windows.

As far as making sure everything is compatible, you are correct as far as starting out with the processor. When you pick a processor, it should specify some sort of socket. Then you want to pick a motherboard with the same socket. But make sure you truly have a match. I rebuilt my wife's system a few years ago, and it kept shutting off as soon as I turned it on. Turned out I had mismatched the processor and motherboard. The processor was socket whatever, and the motherboard was socket whatever, revision something or other, and it turned out they weren't compatible. I ended up having to send the motherboard back. It would have been a lot easier to switch out the processor than to have to remove the whole board, but the board was returnable and the processor was not.

Once you have a motherboard, it should tell you what type of memory it accepts and if you're going with a SSD, it should tell you what type of that it takes as well.

Hope this helps.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Thanks, MadMike.

I'm leaning toward AMD for this build. I'm gonna run 64 bit Ubuntu on it. I found a pretty good processor and compatible motherboard and RAM. Now I have to make decisions about storage and such.

For what this machine is used for, I'm not sure I'll need much more than 16GB, but I'll see what I can find, price-wise, for 32GB.

Comment

For SSD: I'd been using a 125mb SSD as a boot drive for years, and I recently upgraded to a mid-range M.2 NVME 2tb drive -- Was around $180 or so. I think you can get a 1TB for closer to $100. Just check your mobo to confirm whether it uses NVME or not if you go that route; using the wrong type, while it'll fit in the slot, means that the BIOS won't even be able to see the thing. Three guesses how I figured this out x.x

Long story short: I can go from "cold boot" to "Windows and all startup programs loaded" in about ten seconds Great for larger games like the XCOM series, too. Worth it for me. If it's in the budget, I'd recommend a $50~100 SSD or M.2 as your boot drive, with standard drives for storage.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Intel vs AMD: Since Intel fixed the Front-side bus issues, they are pretty close to equal. Shop for price. If you are going big core, get a high end heat sink.

SSD for the boot drive is worth every penny.
          Quoth EricKei View Post
          Long story short: I can go from "cold boot" to "Windows and all startup programs loaded" in about ten seconds
          Fedora - Reboot, login & launch an application in under 30 seconds.
          SSD boot drive is only OS & Apps. I keep my data on mirrored HDDs. Reasonable performance, better price point, and I can pull my data drives when I do an OS update.

8GB will go a long way if you are not running VMs and too many browser tabs. When I fire up the Windows VM, I wish I had a little more memory.

Don't skimp on the power supply. You don't need a big one, but get a good one. Read the reviews.

Pick your CPU. Find a compatible motherboard with the features you want. Get the memory that is compatible with the motherboard. Most everything else is plug & play.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Thanks all!

Right now I'm looking at an AMD Ryzen 5, with 6 cores. 16GB RAM, and a compatible motherboard.

My current build is pretty low-end. I think the processor is something like a 2GHz or something, and I forget exactly how much RAM I have. I'm considering a SSD (but I don't know how big) for my OS and apps. Right now I'm running a 500GB HDD for that, and I have a 3 TB storage drive.

Comment

On SSD's: Newegg has a 120gb SSD for twenty-five bucks on sale for the next day or two. It's a WD Green, so do your homework about those drives first Great for a boot drive. 1TB edition is closer to $90.

For the smaller one, I'd say just use it for the OS, stuff that really should be on the main drive (e.g. MS office if you use it), and stuff that HAS to be there like a permanent swapfile. With a larger one, you have some wiggle room. (PS just move your My docs/pics/music/video (especially video) to that big storage drive). As usual, keep that boot drive over 30% free space if you can, never less than 20%

WDS120G2G1A is the model #
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have a 120GB SSD boot drive. 100GB for root and only using 18GB. You will probably load up a lot more software than I do, but there is still plenty of room.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

IMO stay away from Intel until they revamp their security model - which I don't think will happen until at least 12th gen.

Also, if you're using linux, unless you want to do serious gaming/VR and are aware of the risks, I'd also recommend radeon graphics rather than nvidia. The nvidia drivers are all blobs and have issues, the rtx drivers are open-source and more compatible.

Comment

So the build went relatively smoothly. There's still some "configuration" stuff I'm working on, but for the most part the assembly and installation went well. At least for my knowledge of Linux.

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 processor
                    500GB SSD (where the OS is)
                    500GB HDD
                    3TB HDD
                    6TB HDD
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X