Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough. I've had enough. (Long and fairly ranty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough. I've had enough. (Long and fairly ranty)

Not really looking for advice ... just a shoulder.

I went for a job interview yesterday, and was really well received. I thought I had a good chance at it.

I did ... but it wasn't quite good enough. They called today to say I was one of two finalists, out of 30 applicants, but they were going with the other person.

The caller tried to minimize it by saying "I think you would be wasted in this position." (You're paying me, right? Then I'm not wasted.) He also referred me to somebody else, and advised me to contact this person ASAP and send him my resumes. I have contacted the second person, and he does not at this time need an Administrative Assistant. He would, however, like to work with me for his online blogs (due to my journalism background). He hopes that, as his practice expands, he will eventually need an admin. person.

As pleased as I am at this referral (the primary person also said they would keep everything I had sent him), I have, as the title says, had enough. I have been in My Hometown for two years and not been able to find fulltime work in that time. As the saying goes, "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."

We laid Mom to rest today, and immediately thereafter a couple of people came to check out the house. It emphasizes the fact that I am running out of time and options ... at least here.

One of the cousins who came for the service told me (and later repeated the offer to my brother) that she and her husband have a basement apartment and she would love it if I would come live there. The two are retiring from their respective jobs next year and when they travel to visit family, they would love to have somebody in the house to look after it while they're gone. (My cats would be welcome as long as they stayed in the basement. There is no reason why they shouldn't.)

Her husband is a surly bugger (he's a cop, not that the two -- surly and cop -- are always synonymous. But they are in his case). I'm not sure how he feels about this. I personally don't much like him. But with a separate apartment, I wouldn't have to deal with him much. And it would, IMO, be a good interim step: it would get me out of My Hometown but it isn't such a huge jump as Saskatchewan would be. Brother will offer only minimal help; he certainly wouldn't help me bring my worldly goods out west, no matter how much I cull them. If I want to go west with most of my belongings, I must be able to pay my own way.

It did occur to me today that, if I do take Cousin up on her offer, I might never make it out west. There are two other cousins within easy reach of her. They are a close-knit bunch and I have no doubt I would be welcomed into their family circles. I could apply for a subsidized apartment in the same building our late grandfather lived in (how ironic if I were to get his apartment ... ).

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the way I will go. I can work with Lawyer on his blog over the internet ... I don't have to be in the same city. I'm tired of waiting for a job here. And now, with Mom gone, I have nobody here and absolutely no reason to stay here.

I have one more thing coming up -- a pre-interview grammar and spelling test for a job in the city's legal system -- and I obviously will go to that. If that doesn't pan out, I will take that as a sign that it's finally time to say "fuck it like a bucket" and get out of Dodge.

I won't completely stop looking. But if Cousin and I can come to an agreement, I will be out of My Hometown by next spring. I hate the job at The Mothership (I like retail and even cashiering, but NOT fast food, and that's what The Mothership is, despite its pretentions).

If you've gotten this far, thank you for doing so. I had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and that, plus everything that went down today, has just piled up on me. It's time to stop pretending I have any future in My Hometown and seriously look for alternatives.
    Last edited by Pixelated; 10-14-2017, 12:18 AM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Could be good for ya -- Perhaps the looming shadow of the Mothership store is still dragging on you. A fresh start might be a good thing! Plus, no matter where you end up, you have the time between now and then to, well, purge. Look at it as "reducing your shipping costs" ...Just try the "work on one box of stuff per week, even if that just means turning two boxes worth of stuff into one tightly packed one, and tossing what won't fit. In a basement apartment, in particular, space will likely be at a premium, and note that humidity/temperature could be an issue with stuff that you do bring
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The Mothership is certainly a drag. Oh wait, that wasn't what you said ...

Yes, a fresh start will definitely help. I'm also going to apply for early Canada Pension so at least I have some money coming in every month.

I definitely plan to keep purging. I was hoping to stay in My Hometown for another year because it would have allowed me to purge at a slower pace, but that does not appear to be an option.

I lived in a basement apartment once and it was pleasant enough. The furnace room was so incredibly dehydrating that you could put a freshly-washed heavy sweater in there and it would be bone-dry within 12 hours.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

The furnace room was so incredibly dehydrating that you could put a freshly-washed heavy sweater in there and it would be bone-dry within 12 hours.
        ...Furnace..? Is that one of them made-up words like "snow"??? o_O

I'd love to experience that. I'm used to 80% humidity being considered "dry" x.x
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          ...Furnace..? Is that one of them made-up words like "snow"??? o_O...
          Call the psychic EMTs! We've got another one thinks they're Jester!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

"Snow"? Oh yeah--that's the stuff they keep up in the mountains so you can ski on it....
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I hear it's really just soap powder...

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                I hear it's really just soap powder...
                That's what Mom whips up into thick frothy peaks to frost the pastor's birthday cake.

... which is actually an angel food cake pan ...
                ... he licked his fingers after catching the "cake" when it was "accidentally" dropped on presentation ...
                Last edited by dalesys; 10-24-2017, 11:55 AM.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                X