This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are they right or just wrong?

So lately my sister and stepmom have been put on restrictive diet due to health conditions. They can't have anything sugary or greasy. I have a sweet tooth a mile long, and am always having chocolate for dessert after dinner. My sister snatched my dessert and threw it out! I thought this was very rude of her, and told her so, but she thinks I shouldn't eat any unhealthy stuff at all and is just looking out for me. Who's right? she's always been extremely annoying and bossy
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Your body, your health, your choice.

In a way, she's right. You should eat healthy, but even so occasional treats are okay.

But she's also totally, completely wrong. She doesn't get to make those choices for you.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It's none of her gorram business what you eat. If she's concerned about your diet, she can take it up with you like a civilized human being; in other words, the opposite of what she did. My guess is, what she said was at least partially true and partially bullshit. I'd say she's feeling jealous -- "If I can't have sweets, neither can anybody else!"
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

She's basically saying that if she doesn't get to eat chocolate, neither do you.

That is so out of line, Euclid couldn't find it with a ruler and a compass! ;-)

Comment

Next step: Go to KM/WM and see if they have any of those five or ten-pound hershey bars in stock...and just lay it on the table...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

She was wrong. What she did was rude, inconsiderate, and selfish (she wants it, can't have it, so you can't either). She should apologize. I understand very well what it's like to cut things you really like out of your diet, and I also have relatives who eat things they probably shouldn't. We are all adults. We make our own choices. No one else gets to make them for us.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm inclined to say there may be a little bit of both there.

She was wrong to do that, very rude as everyone else has pointed out. It is your body and your choice. She can tell you it isn't good for you, and just be annoying (as I am constantly told family has a right to be), but when she threw it out she went waaaay over the line.

However, from what you say, it sounds like you are eating your delicious chocolately desert in front of her. If so, that's a fairly unkind thing to do - to someone who's trying not to eat it, chocolate has a very loud and hard to ignore call. Telling you it's for your own good could just be her way of denying that she's being tempted. Wait until they're both finished their meal and gone elsewhere, then enjoy your sugary goodness.

Apologies if that isn't the case - I'm a little sensitive on this point as I've been in a similar situation in the past. (No cheese, when I love cheese, was hard watching everyone else enjoying some)

Comment

I was wondering that very thing, Black Cat.

No, sister has no right to throw your food out.

But if you are consistently eating the forbidden foods in front of her and your mother ... I can see where at least one of 'em might come to see it as you taunting them ... "Look what I've got! And you can't have any!"

If you are doing this OFTEN, then perhaps in future you could come to an agreement with sis ... you will usually eat your goodies where they can't see them, and if occasionally you do happen to have a chunk 'o' chocolate while they're around, sis will keep her paws off it.

If she can't agree to that, and if it doesn't bother your mother at all, then the heck with it ... definitely buy one of those industrial-sized chocolate bars and chow down on it. In front of sis.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'm inclined to add that if Sis won't be reasonable and keep her hands off your stuff, then start reacting in kind. Next time she snatches your snack and tosses it, immediately throw away something of hers. When she screams about it, tell her "Fair is fair. You throw my stuff away, I throw your stuff away. Leave my stuff alone and I'll leave yours alone."
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                    I was wondering that very thing, Black Cat.

No, sister has no right to throw your food out.

But if you are consistently eating the forbidden foods in front of her and your mother ... I can see where at least one of 'em might come to see it as you taunting them ... "Look what I've got! And you can't have any!"
                    While I do have sympathy for her and my stepmom, I don't see why I should have to hide away eating when they could just step outside the room if they feel bad. It'd suck to have health conditions, but I shouldn't have to hide like I'm ashamed of eating chocolate.

Quoth Kittish View Post
                    I'm inclined to add that if Sis won't be reasonable and keep her hands off your stuff, then start reacting in kind. Next time she snatches your snack and tosses it, immediately throw away something of hers. When she screams about it, tell her "Fair is fair. You throw my stuff away, I throw your stuff away. Leave my stuff alone and I'll leave yours alone."
                    If I snatch her stuff and toss it, everyone will go, "Oh, how monstrous, HM! Don't you know that your Sis is having a hard time with her diet? Why can't you be the bigger one?" It's always been that way.
                    Thankfully we don't live together so I guess I could do it (eating my snacks in my room) when she's drops by, though knowing her she'd burst into my room and crow: "ARE YOU EATING CHOCALATE?!??!?!" accusingly.
                    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                      Thankfully we don't live together so I guess I could do it (eating my snacks in my room) when she's drops by, though knowing her she'd burst into my room and crow: "ARE YOU EATING CHOCALATE?!??!?!" accusingly.
                      And that's the point she'd get her arse punted across the hallway in our house. Shut-door bedrooms are sacred here; with my sister being high-functioning autistic and me being the only person living with her, the ability to withdraw to a safe space and not be disturbed when over-stimulated or about to explode is vital for both of our mental health.

I take it your bedroom door doesn't have a lock? If not, the best way to avoid her bursting in on a regular basis would be to strip stark naked before eating your snack. Give her an eyeful so that she's more worried about that than what you're eating, and a deterrent to bursting in without knocking again!
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                      X