This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dickhead theory is always safe

You can get OT pay even if salaried, but there's a threshold. Ask A Manager has the details. In most areas OT is classed as any hours over 40 in one week...at OldJob, there was something buried in the union contract that excluded either Saturday or Sunday from that calculation (so people would be expecting OT but never got it on a technicality)
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
      Remember: This is 'Manager Fantasy Land', where Real World problems don't intrude, and EVERYTHING goes as planned in his pea-sized brain. Of COURSE you can get it all done on this schedule, without any OT, if you just organize better and follow his masterpiece of a schedule.

Okay, I'm tapped for wild fantasy indulgence for the night, and I'm out of sarcasm, so I'm off to sleep for now.
      These kind of people make me wish there would be an undercover boss episode at these places.
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

My first cashier job was in 1987: a one-month job at a University book store. (I filled out the application because I was bored, they had already hire people to start in September, but August was a bit busier than expected.)

The store was open 7 hours a day. You could show up mere seconds before opening, and after closing you were supposed to count your drawer, for which they allotted 15 to 30 minutes. Which gave them a cushion of 30 minutes for unexpected weirdness.
        Also, you didn't need to count your drawer at the start of your shift because you would be given exactly the same drawer you had counted the previous night.
        There were so many ways that place was run extremely well.

At the store I work for now, ... in theory, at shift change the outgoing shift counts the drawer, then the incoming shift verifies their count.
        With two registers, the way this is supposed to work is:
        Shift 1 counts register 1.
        Shift 2 verifies register 1.
        Run end-of-shift
        Shift 2 may now begin ringing on register 1
        Shift 1 counts register 2
        Shift 2 verifies register 2
        Shift 2 may now begin ringing on register 2.

This, of course, requires that people from both shifts be clocked in at the same time for several minutes.

In practice, what actually happens at best is the registers get counted but not verified. And far too commonly, end-of-shift is run well before the staff for the next shift arrives, so everyone has rung during multiple shifts and every drawer on each shift has had multiple people ringing on it.
        shift

Comment

Sounds more like BULL-shift!
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X