X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now they did it

And now I'm pissed.

Typical morning, upstairs eating my food, chatting with the Family-in-laws, and they're all looking on an art-gawking site. I see something with a design not dissimilar to Tarot cards and ask if it is one. It's not, and I mentioned it would be interesting to learn to use Tarot cards, but you have to believe that they damn well work and won't just be pretty cards to show off. The response?

"If you have that much belief, why don't you put it towards finding a religion?"

(Whited out so you have the choice to read or not. Similar reaction below this without issues.)

... This is a hot-button issue for me. I am not religious because I do not want to be so. Being confined to one specific set of beliefs would drive me crazy. There are other possibilities, and I just love learning and taking examples from them, not deciding whether or not I should be [insert religion] or otherwise.

For various reasons involving my parents, I have decided to stay agnostic. Associating myself with the same religion they supposedly 'are' is in no way going to help me feel better. It pretty much has shit to do with Tarot cards and stones and everything. I believe what I believe, and the AMOUNT of it has nothing to do with it if you just don't like it. Sorry folks. You deserve the bad mood I gave you for that one. I have told them my opinions and views multiple times, and they don't give me crap for it, but they should realize that it is NOT going to change.

I've written this as neutral as possible and hopes it passes as not-fratching, so if this thread survives, please don't push it towards fratching yourselves.

</rant>

EDIT: The basic, easy version, now without controversy!

I'm not a big fan of toast.

I see something that looks like artisan bread. It's not, and I mentioned it would be delicious to have some artisan bread, but you have to remember that it's very chewy compared to normal sliced store bread. The response?

"If you can deal with a different type of bread, why can't you eat toast?"

And it drives me crazy 'cause I just don't like it. They think it'd be a good experience to try foods cooked different ways, but I just don't like the way it tastes! No way around it.
    Thanks Whiskey and Green_Fairy for the idea.
    Last edited by Amusement Gal; 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM.
    My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

It might be good to start a duplicate thread at the......other board. Subjects like these almost always tend to get out of hand.

Comment

Some people are unable to accept other preferences.

That being said, to effectively have use tarot cards, there is usually a belief in a higher power included. As the guiding force for the cards correct placement and all that.

But NatetheChops on this board does that for a side job, i believe. Maybe he has some good advice.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
        That being said, to effectively have use tarot cards, there is usually a belief in a higher power included. As the guiding force for the cards correct placement and all that.
        Not really, as far as I know. It's more an interconnectedness of all things deal using the petitioner's energies to derive the answer.

Of course, this won't actually be the case for every card reader, since personal belief systems will have an effect on your reading style and method.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
          I am not religious because I do not want to be so. Being confined to one specific set of beliefs would drive me crazy. There are other possibilities, and I just love learning and taking examples from them, not deciding whether or not I should be [insert religion] or otherwise.
          This is one of many reasons I'm an agnostic myself. (And like your family, mine hasn't taken too well to it either, although since it rarely comes up for discussion the times when I get flak for it are thankfully far and few between.)
          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

"If you have that much belief, why don't you put it towards finding a religion?"
            I've solved this problem by telling people I believe in Pink Unicornism. Then I argue I got what I wanted because I appeased the Pink Unicorn.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

my typical response (i'm agnostic, too)? "i have found a religion, thank you very much. and it has little to do with you. now...who's for toast?"
              to me, religion is a personal thing and if someone chooses to be [insert religion] or not, it's totally up to them and no one else's business.
              that, and toast is fantastic.
              If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
              ^_^

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                that, and toast is fantastic.
                toast with enough butter to make the middle kind of soggy but the outer part of the toast is still crunchy is the best toast.

now this is how you change a subject
                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                  to me, religion is a personal thing and if someone chooses to be [insert religion] or not, it's totally up to them and no one else's business.
                  This.

I've had a couple of preachy types try to shout me into joining their religion, whatever it was. In both cases, when I told them it was a personal thing to me, they lost it and proved that they can't practice what they preach.

Somehow, I don't think I'm the one that needs to take a look at my beliefs...

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Thanks for joining me in my fellow rant guys, appreciate it. It's all well and dandy since I talked it out, but it's still thought that I would be happier if I found a religion. Funny thing is, they don't really care WHAT one, they just think it's weird that I'm not in one at all.

Easiest way to make this not controversial? Replace 'religion' with 'toast', and 'Tarot cards' with 'artisan bread'.

I'm not a big fan of toast.

I see something that looks like artisan bread. It's not, and I mentioned it would be delicious to have some artisan bread, but you have to remember that it's very chewy compared to normal sliced store bread. The response?

"If you can deal with a different type of bread, why can't you eat toast?"

And it drives me crazy 'cause I just don't like it. They think it'd be a good experience to try foods cooked different ways, but I just don't like the way it tastes! No way around it.
                    Thar we go. And I love toast too, but I had to sneak it into the sample.
                    My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Unfortunately, while this thread isn't too bad, we've got posts in the queue that take it too far into Fratching territory, and there is a rule against damning religion or proselytising. I'm afraid I'm going to have to shut this one down before it gets out of hand. However, I cordially invite everyone to resume the discussion over at Fratching.
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                      X