Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout Partner/Accountability Person?

Hey Folks,

Some of you might have seen me in person/video chat/pictures and know I'm not the smallest or leanest I could be. So I've been working in that and slowly...ever so slowly...the Fluffy Bunny has been loosing her fluff. However I think it's time to step it up a notch.

So I went searching around and found a iPhone (I think they have a droid version too) app that helps get one ready from couch/beginner to doing a 10K in 14 weeks. I really want to do this but I know me, if I don't have someone or someones to be accountable too I will slag off on this. Please don't bring up the whole you can make yourself do it cause some of you know I've been fighting the mental daemons telling me I can't.

I plan to start this program on Sunday the 15th. The program says to only do this twice a week but I really want to go kinda slow on the moving up steps and plan to do each step twice so it will be a every other day. My only other change will be when I'm on my 7 mile walking route and am mostly dead afterwards. Even when mail is light that route seems to kill me.

So anyhoo if your interested I would appreciate a pm or response to this post. If we can get a little group (or big group) formed that would be even better.

Thanks guys. Hope at least one of you wants to do this with me.

EDIT: Put 25K instead of the right number 10K. My appogies.
    Last edited by Aethian; 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM.

I'm curious what the app is. I'd like to check it out before I jump in and say yes.

Comment

Facebook Page

https://facebook.com/ZenLabsLLC?id=299763896735736&_rdr

ITunes App Page (There are free versions as well.)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/10k-...511600792?mt=8

Android App Page

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Labs+LLC&hl=en

Comment

Husband has been using the Couch to Half Marathon for a while now, he's up to a long run of 4.5 miles. I've just been running and tracking on Nike+, my long runs are 3.5 miles when the shin splints and asthma aren't crap. Both of us have a goal of half marathons by next summer. We're going slowly, only because we both have specific health issues that mean we end up laid up for one week out of every six or seven.

A few tips:

While those apps are great, don't get discouraged if you find yourself stuck at the first week for a while. It happens, and just keep moving.

The key thing is to KEEP MOVING. No matter how you feel, no matter how much you hate it, if you're not injured, DON'T STOP. It WILL get better. I was stuck at 2 miles, 10.30 m/mi, and it was killing me. One day, I decided to try and keep up with the X-C runners that fly around the trails, and it pushed me under 10 - I was running a 9.30, and the following week, I broke 5K.

If you're in pain, and there's no injury, try changing your shoes, changing your non-running exercises (use pilates & yoga for core strengthening), and using athletic tape/KT tape to provide support to weaker muscle groups (just remember to check w/a doc or PT for appropriate usage).

I'm not really into using the plans, but if you wanted to use the Nike+ challenges on the app, I'm happy to participate! Currently I'm very far behind on a 30 mile challenge for this month, and need the encouragement!

Comment

I tried Couch to 10k. Sadly I am currently not in good enough shape to do the running portion. If that turns out to be the case with you, try doing the running portion as a speed walking. Then increase to a jog. Then run. But stay on week one until you get to that point. I stopped for tropical storm season, but I'll be starting up again in a week or so. So I'd be happy to work alongside you, I just might be a little behind repeating week one again.
          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I like "Zombies, Run!" But that's just me
            What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

If you can't run 30 seconds, run 15. Or 10. Gradually increase until you CAN. The mechanics in running are fundamentally different from walking, and while speedwalking increases overall health, it doesn't help the ability to run.

I'm off for a 3 miler tomorrow. First one in weeks. Be ready for some epic bitching.

Comment

There's a podcast on itunes by some guy named Robert something (it's just called Podcasts for Running) where he cues the intervals for each stage of the Couch to 5K program at coolrunning.com. He made them for himself but then decided to throw them up on itunes as podcasts. The music he used is a little techno-y for my tastes but sometimes it's nice to have a little voice in your ear (literally). I have also made playlists just using songs of the right lengths out of my music library (1-2-minute songs can be hard to find). So far I haven't gotten past week 3 because I keep letting things get in the way and then I slip back a stage.

I use the stopwatch on my ipod to keep track of how much running vs. walking I do. When I get home I plug each interval time in to a log I made in Excel and I set it up so it'll add it up for me.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm keen. Have been looking at these for years but kept having excuses. But now I am off work I think I have time to give it a shot

Comment

Okay I had fallen asleep yesterday and was completely out of it for most of the day. My lack of sleep last night didn't help but I was off today so I was able to start...

SO..

WEEK 1/DAY 1A

Brisk five-minuet walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walk for a total of 20 minuets. Five-minuet cool down.

One of the guys came out to watch me for a minuet since I can't figure out how to program the tredmills yet. I'll head in there when it's empty so I have enough time to figure these ones out.

It worked kinda good and I think I will do a lot better when I have the tredmill.

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
                      I like "Zombies, Run!" But that's just me
                      I just started Zombie 5K, and I am having a BLAST. I can't wait until I can start Zombies, Run! proper.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I need to go running.

For this, I need clean clothes.

For that, I need a working dryer.

DAMMIT.

Comment

So I went down late to look at the treadmills and found I can't program them but can just press the buttons. So for my warm up I did the level at 1. And the speed at 2 mph.

For the walking I did 2.0 level and 2.5 mph. The "jogging" (fast walking) was 1.5 level and 3.0 mph.

Last night I managed to sleep for more then 4 hours and almost 5 hours straight without walking up. So I think I'm going to do this nightly but still do each day twice. If those of you working on this with me still want to do the every other day ill still be posting the day workout.

Comment

I was kinda hoping people would be posting to this but since it's been mostly a no go...I'm going to delete the thread tonight. Thanks anyways. :/

Comment

Would if I could, but I'm still in recovery from giving birth. My main exercise is an occasional walk around the block with my child and my dog if things don't hurt too much. We're building up to it :/
                              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                              X