Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Discworld books were recommended to me by a penpal with whom I have long since lost touch ... she mentioned that some of the books contained "a suitcase with legs" ...

I initially bought The Fifth Elephant and The Truth. Started off with TFE and it was quite a struggle, because I felt that, having not read any previous books, I was missing a lot of backstory about many of the characters. I was about ready to give up but figured that since I had The Truth, I'd give it a try. Because of my background in small-town journalism, all I could think was "OMG I KNOW THESE PEOPLE!!" Especially the guy who keeps showing up wanting the staff to take photos of his oddly-shaped vegetables ...

Blue Ginger: I don't want to go anywhere near that site! I'm finally culling my Harry Potter stuff! (If, of course, I get a little more financially stable, that could definitely change ... )
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      I initially bought The Fifth Elephant and The Truth. Started off with TFE and it was quite a struggle, because I felt that, having not read any previous books, I was missing a lot of backstory about many of the characters. I was about ready to give up but figured that since I had The Truth, I'd give it a try. Because of my background in small-town journalism, all I could think was "OMG I KNOW THESE PEOPLE!!" Especially the guy who keeps showing up wanting the staff to take photos of his oddly-shaped vegetables ...
      Unsurprising that you struggled with The Fifth Elephant, there was a lot of backstory for the characters. Better to have started with Guards, Guards.

As for The Truth, PTerry was a journalist at one point in his career, so he was well supplied with characters to slot in that must be familiar to every newspaper-related employee on the planet!
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
        <snip>
        While the Tiffany Aching books were aimed at young readers, I always felt they (and to some extent the Witches books) would resonate better with female-identifying readers rather than male, since some of the topics covered (either directly or peripherally) might be a struggle for a young male to relate to. snip
        I give today's boys more credit than that....

Comment

Working...
        X