Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just flew SouthWest 2 weeks ago so I'll try to "walk" you through my experience.

I had the early check-in so I was able to print out my boarding pass at Grandma's the night before. I got to the airport (SLC) 3 hours before my flight was to leave for Portland (PDX). SouthWest has several kiosk/computers that you can check-in with if you have the pass. Otherwise, you'll need to talk to the desk clerk to check in. Only takes maybe 5 minutes to actually check in though the wait in line can be really long if there's a lot of people. Then, I showed my pass to the desk clerk so she could check my luggage. She put the stickertag on my suitcase and then handed it back to me.

Next I had to take my suitcase to the x-ray machine. Apparently these days you're not supposed to lock your luggage. Who knew? Mine was but it was not much of a problem. They just had me wait in case they needed me to unlock it--otherwise I would have been able to just drop it off and continue to the gate. After that my suitcase was no longer my problem. They took it to be loaded. All I had to worry about was my carryon. I had a backpack and my purse.

(One thing I forgot to do that usually helps is that since most luggage looks the same, get some duct tape in a different color(s) and put some kind of marker on your luggage so you can easily spot it when it comes off the carousel at the end of the flight. My brother did his initials across the back, my dad did some interesting stripes, etc. Just make sure it won't somehow come loose and catch on things.)

Then I walked on to the security gate for people. They had these big stacks of bins. I put my backpack, purse, and shoes into it and set it on the conveyor belt for the x-ray. Then I walked through the metal detector, picked up my bin on the other end and put my shoes on. There were a couple of little benches for people to sit on. You don't have to wear flip-flops but shoes that are easy to slip on/off help. My flight was quite warm--too warm but it probably depends on a lot of factors how warm/cool the cabin is.

After that it was a simple matter of following the signs to my loading gate. I found it, and there was a big seating area, bathrooms, a few shops along the way. They even had a TV with cartoons playing (Hanna-Barbera anyone? ). I definitely recommend taking a book or iPod or something just in case. The last time I flew it took a couple of hours to get through, this time it only took 25 minutes so I had a lot of wait time before loading.

Maggie the Cat had a good description of the A, B, C loading. There were several poles with the letter on top and then a smaller sign with a range of numbers. So, A 1-20; 21-40; 41-60; B 1-20; 21-40; etc. There was a TV screen up by the customer service desk that would display the current flight information. Then when my flight came up on the screen all I had to do was stand in the A section by the pole with my number group and wait for the go-ahead from the customer service desk. Southwest has open seating so you can pick any seat you want.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

I can HIGHLY recommend Icelandair - they may be a small airline, but they are friendly, and reasonably priced. The movies on the plane are free, the headphones cost 3 Euro [or you can use your own] the tv screens on the back of the chair before you also has a USB jack next to it, I guess for a game system? I didnt try plugging anything into it ... the economy seats are 16 inches of ass space, the saga class is 20, and oddly enough the saga class for the flight from Boston to Frankfurt was only $500 more than economy, which put it at about what Lufthansa economy class cost ... we decided next time to just fly saga class!

They handled me as a chairborn gimp nicely - my chair got to frankfurt and was off loaded and actually brought out to me by a person instead of turfed onto the carousel, and I had a wheelchair and person from the assistance department run me [literally] through Reykjavic, and take me from the plane to baggage at either end of the flight.

What I pack for carry on- I use a now discontinued U S Traveller hard computer case I bought about 2 years ago on Overstock . com, similar to this one. One side has a padded sleeve for my 17" laptop. Behind the padded sleeve the lining has a zipper, I guess theoretically to access the area that the sliding handle garages in. What I do is out the power brick/power cord in, my trackball, and a neatly folded pajama set to buffer between the computer and the lumpy stuff. The other side has a section that just zips closed of the lining fabric, with 2 pockets in it. I stash my med case that is full of my meds, assorted things like my power strip, a travellers power plug adapter set, any assorted network cables and the like. Usually I also have the various power cords for my cell phone, a car charger for the phone, and if I have an ipod with me, the earplugs, patch cord and a full number belkin ipod car charger/radio transmitter [it does all the numbers, not just preset ones] I buy sample shampoos and conditioners and other toiletries in travel size and put them in the requested plastic baggie along with tweezers, nail clippers, nail file etc and sort of tuck it into one of the exposed liner pockets to make it easy to get to. I discovered that I could also fit my eeePC in as well so it now can travel along with me [I add a headset because I mainly use it for skype/teamspeak]

I pack my stuff in a backpack that can sling on the back of my chair, and when I shove it onto the plane I secure the contents with a pacsafe net, and I use the TSA locks.

I always check in online well ahead of time, and I get to the airport with at least 2 hours to spare, being special needs I need a bit of lead time to make sure I get where I need to.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Hmm. I've never flown Southwest, only Delta [I loved their cookies ], and most of what I would recommend has already been said, but what the hey.

*Make very, very sure you know what is and isn't allowed through security. Both for carry-on and checked [but especially carry-on!]. Having to throw something out would suck.

*Don't wear flip-flops unless you can run well in them. You never know when a plane is going to be late [if you have a layover somewhere], or when you have to get somewhere in a hurry. I always wore sneakers. I could step out of them ok for the security check, and then sit down to put them back on.

*If you get flagged for additional screening, be VERY polite. And VERY helpful. I've been so twice. Once for my wrist brace because it set off the metal detector, and once for my ID. I didn't have a gov't ID yet, so I had to travel with my school ID, birth certificate, and social security card. Now I'm pretty sure you HAVE to have a gov't ID, but...wow, did that suck.

*Get there EARLY. However, if you get there too early, they can't check you in yet. I learned that the hard way. I had to take the shuttle down to SLC. My flight was at like 9:30, but I got there before 2. That was an amazingly boring wait.

*Definitely find your gate as soon as you can. You can do other stuff later, but knowing where that gate is is key!

*Find out if you can bring food. You can get a drink after the security check. Or other food. It's kind of expensive, but...if it's a long flight or wait, you probably need it!

*On the food around hotel, I also recommend Googling. Although if you try Google Maps, be aware that their directions may very much fail.
        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
          Jester, I have to disagree with your list of what goes in the carry-on. It's a good idea to have one change of clothing, so that if your luggage arrives later than you do, you still have something to wear the next day.
          Excellent point that I of all people should know, considering the time I was flying to Vegas and I got bumped from the plane (long, horrible story for another time), but my bag went ahead of me. So I had no change of clothes and no contacts, as I had packed them in my checked bag. So when I finally got to Vegas the next day, I had three hours to get my baggage, get the rental car, get to the hotel, get my room, shower, change, put my contacts in (I always travel with my glasses, whether or not I actually wear them or my contacts), get dressed, and get to the place where I was scheduled to perform. I made it with quite literally 5 minutes to spare. (This still ranks as my worst travel experience ever.)

If you wear contacts, I do recommend putting some in your carry-on for the same reason as the change of clothes.

Also, I forgot to mention that my cell phone charger ALWAYS goes in my carry-on. I'll be damned if I am going to be stranded without my cell having some power.

Quoth Eisa View Post
          On the food around hotel, I also recommend Googling. Although if you try Google Maps, be aware that their directions may very much fail.
          Websites are somewhat helpful, but there is no better resource for information about stuff around the hotel than the staff of that hotel. On my two most recent hotel stays, in Fort Lauderdale in April and especially in Miami in July, the staff was most helpful with any questions we had about the surrounding environs and amenities. I would gladly stay at either one of those hotels again, though doubt I will stay at the Miami one again simply due to it not quite being the location I would have chosen had I known the area better. Not a bad area, just not where I wanted or needed to be, if you follow me. On the other hand, I have every plan of staying at the Lauderdale hotel again, again due to its prime location in relation to where I plan to be in that town.

Sorry, got off on a bit of a tangent....my point was that hotel staff is great for this kind of shit.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
            *If you get flagged for additional screening, be VERY polite. And VERY helpful. I've been so twice. Once for my wrist brace because it set off the metal detector, and once for my ID. I didn't have a gov't ID yet, so I had to travel with my school ID, birth certificate, and social security card. Now I'm pretty sure you HAVE to have a gov't ID, but...wow, did that suck.
            And do NOT make small talk. I had a friend get threatened with the no-fly list for this. (The security person was probably in a bad mood to begin with, because no one knew how to deal with a request to bypass the scanners). Even if they're being jerks, don't call them on it. It happens occasionally, but they never react well to it.

Comment

I tend to wear low-heeled boots with a side zip and thick socks when I'm flying, simply because some flip-flops have metal in the soles. Don't ask me why, they just do. I agree with Magpie, avoid small talk but still be polite. Be forewarned, the 'random explosives trace test' isn't as random as they claim. Also, security guards turn all sorts of interesting colours when you take your jacket off to put through the x-ray, they tell you to "take it ALL off" in a joking tone, then realise you're heavily pregnant. Guess how I know?
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Well, I just called the hotel...completely forgetting about the time difference *d'oh!* The ladies I spoke were helpful, if not the very vision of friendliness (but who is at 7 am?) It is a travel-sized hair dryer, so I'll be packing my own.

Okay. *deep breath* I can do this.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Don't forget to take photo ID. Internationally of course you need a passport, but domestically they still need to know who you are before letting you board.

Security in my experience varies wildly, but almost universally they will want you to put your laptop on the belt *outside* it's case, and will not allow liquids or gels through above *very* small bottles or tubes. So buy or bring food and drink only for immediate consumption, and not before security unless you have a *long* wait beforehand.

Do not take anything long and heavy, such as a Maglite or hair-dryer, in carry-on luggage. It will be classed as a potential bludgeon.
                  Last edited by Chromatix; 08-02-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I checked in and printed my boarding pass this morning - I got in the A group! *happy dance* So, I'll be one of the first to board. Yay window seat! (I know it may be more uncomfortable than an aisle seat, but I want to be able to look out and take pics! )

Comment

Hmmm, did anyone mention Dramamine? If you get motion sickness at all, you may want to invest in some of this stuff to be on the safe side. Last time I flew and didn't take it, I was horribly ill all evening after we landed (granted, we were also on the bumpiest flight that either my husband or I had ever experienced...ugh.)

Comment

I hardly ever get car sick, but I've never been on a boat for long periods of time. I'd prefer not to take anything, especially on the flight there, since I need to be awake/alert for the rest of the day.

Comment

I'm usually okay on planes, even though I do get motion sickness pretty easily (I once got motion sick really bad from riding up and down elevators a lot at an anime convention) so I hope you feel okay. Have a good trip!

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                            I hardly ever get car sick, but I've never been on a boat for long periods of time. I'd prefer not to take anything, especially on the flight there, since I need to be awake/alert for the rest of the day.
                            Ginger tablets are great for some people for travelsickness - and the bonus is that HELP with awake/alert!
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Well, I made it. Thanks all!

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                                Well, I made it. Thanks all!
                                Welcome to California, try the drugs food, its fantastic!
                                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Working...
                                X