X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move

Ive decided....

.....Im moving...

If you all remember, i posted a while back about breaking the news to my mom about thinking of moving from Pennsylvania to Florida.

Well, yeah. I told her and we talked it out and blah blah blah. I kinda decided to not move and just generally bitched out and put it in my mind that I would stay put.

However, It keeps calling me, calling me. I just cant get it out of my mind. Im beginning to hate my job, and Im tired of the same thing over and over (holidays with my family SUCK!!!).

I cant lie, I WILL miss PA..I love it here for the most part, where I live I can walk anywhere: restaurants, stores, farmers market, quick bus to the mall etc. Down there, you can only walk to anothers house...and you have to drive everywhere, not to mention, deal with the tourists. But I know my hubby would be happier there and both the kids want to go. And, its not like I cant move back if things dont work out, right?

*deep breath...in and out* I know its not a big deal to some of you, but Ive been in this area since I was 5 (im now 27) and it is my home. I will be so far from my side of the family, but maybe itll make me more independent? (though Id say I already am...ive always done whats best for my family regardless of how it affected others or what they would think).

Even writing this makes me tear up.

So, move over Draggar, Jester (whoever else lives down there). Aminas coming...

Anyone have advice on a cross country move? Im looking to do this summer coming up (2011).

you should move to california instead its way better and less hurricanes
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Yeah, but y'all have earthquakes out there. At least hurricanes give warning.

Advice bit #1: start packing NOW. Clear everything out of your home that is unnecessary, and prep up a yard sale before the weather starts getting cold. Do another one next year about a month before the move.

Advice bit #2: Figure out exactly where you want to move, figure out how much your budget would have to be for that area, and then find the jobs that can support you.

I have more advice, but my brain is being distracted by my email right now. I'll add more later.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        I will NOT live in your closet and be your sex slave so stop asking....

Comment

Come to Canada eh. no earthquakes or hurricanes.... just friggin' cold iin the winter :P
          It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
            Quoth KiaKat View Post
            Yeah, but y'all have earthquakes out there. At least hurricanes give warning.
            Lessee.... an earthquake worth even noticing once every several years, or hurricane season.

Yeah, no contest.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ok, so NO to Canada tho Ive never been to Niagra Falls.. I hate the snow, but like cold weather....Im confuzzled, i know.

Cali is not an option, so shush! lol. Its either FL or PA....so Since im in PA, im thinking FL is next. Im nervous. Ive never been without my extended family....but everyone else is revved to go. Im the only one holding us back ..

We'll be moving to Kissimmee...Budget is tentative...It depends on my house selling up here...though Im in a desireable area and my house rocks, if I may say so myself. My area hasnt had a bad housing market like some of the country is experiencing. If all else fails, as soon as the house up here sells, We can move in with my in laws and look for a house while we're already down there, may make it easier. I just have to find a storage unit for my stuff til we can buy a house.

I dont wanna pack....too much work....

Lol.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                I will NOT live in your closet and be your sex slave so stop asking....

https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

But...how will I visit you when I come out to school?
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                    Ok, so NO to Canada tho Ive never been to Niagra Falls.. I hate the snow, but like cold weather....Im confuzzled, i know.
                    Southern Australia, but not the Australian Alps. (Note: southern Australia, not necessarily South Australia, which is a state in Aussieland.)

More seriously:

Now is the time to get organised. If you've been putting off making a tidy, organised house, do it now. Read up on all the 'organisation' websites. Don't go buying expensive organiser bins and boxes and drawers and cabinets, just organise into old shoeboxes and cut up cereal boxes and whatever near-scrap cardboard you can get.

Be ruthless in your discards. If it's not something you know to be useful (to you!), believe to be beautiful (to you!) or which holds memories you value, it goes in the 'to go' pile.

And the 'to go' pile either goes to a yard sale, the proceeds of which become moving money, or goes to a charity/freecycle/craigslist, or if it's not useful/beautiful to anyone, goes to the dump.

Also, now is the time to eat up the unusual ingredients in your pantry. All the stuff that's been shoved to the back to be tried 'sometime'. Eat it, throw it out, or include it in the yard sale. (if it's out of date, toss it)

Packing day(s)

The pre-organised house will then be easy to pack. Rent boxes from a moving place, and you can just stack the shoeboxes and cardboard boxes of stuff into it.

Label each box with the room it came from. If you have spare space in a room's box, fill with towels or blankets; don't fill it with stuff from a different room.

Pack a suitcase for each person before you pack up the house; that suitcase will contain everything needed to live between packing day and unpacking day. Clothes. toiletries, medications, toys. You can pack a suitcase of kitchenware, as well, if you like. Make sure all these suitcases fit comfortably in your car.

Books and other heavy items should be packed into special 'book boxes'. Moving companies have them, and one book box of books is a comfortable one-strong-person or two-normal-people load.

If you can afford it, having a moving company move everything except your one or two suitcases is ideal. A somewhat cheaper option is hiring them to pack your rental van/truck with your stuff, and to unpack at the far end. (They know how to pack a truck so the load is balanced, and everything is secured with minimal risk of damage.)

If you have any furnishings you've been thinking of getting rid of, now is a good time. Sell or freecycle it rather than moving it. Buy either a new (ideal) one, or a good-enough freecycled/charity shop one at the far end.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Come to Texas! The Medical Center is always looking for experienced nurses, our houses are DIRT cheap and our economy isn't bad.

Seriously, start packing a month before you think you need to. Declutter. Get the kids involved. If you use movers, buy insurance to cover all your stuff, just in case.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                        After visiting there, I would move in a heart beat.

No humidity (!!!), no more shoveling snow (at least in the Southern parts), and palm trees.

Comment

. If somebody would pay my bills for awhile, I would totally move. In a heartbeat. Lol.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Why not Arizona?

I'd love to never see precipitation PERIOD ever again.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

OH oh oh!

Buy those packets of coloured dots. Each colour gets assigned to a room in the new house. Anything going in that room gets an associated colour dot. The movers get a bunch of pieces of paper marked with the code. THIS INCLUDES FURNITURE.

Saves them asking you "where does this go" all the time.

Also, either on a piece of paper that gets taped on the box, or on the box itself, write the manifest. Example:

Box1: Breakfast dishes, serving platters
                              Box2: Linens, Kitchen & Powder Room
                              Box3: Office supplies (pens, pencils, paper, printer ink)
                              Box4: Linens, Bedrooms & Master Bath

Etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X