Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth, I'm terrified of heights, but I flying.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I loved flying too, but a nice road trip might be more relaxing, with the added benefit of having transportation when we get to wherever we're going.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I love road trips!! do you have AAA? they have great books for different regions, gives where to stay and things to do plus the discounts are nice. If you are both history buffs, you could go through the different civil war areas. Or National Parks.
        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

No, we don't have AAA. One thought we had was going to St. Louis - Chicago - Wisconsin, and maybe back through Iowa/Nebraska. Or, if we left from Arkansas, do a tour (dun dun dun) deep in the heart of Texas. I still need to talk to my friend from Denver, to see if she has any suggestions, and the Appalachians area isn't off the table either. I think Eureka Springs/Hot Springs might be our "oh shit we don't have enough money or time to do this" backup. In May, maybe it wouldn't be so damn hot and hopefully the Passion Play wouldn't be in full swing yet.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            I can never forget Pikes. Not only is it great, but quite literally, it is the place my magic career started...though I did not know it at the time.
            I have so many awesome memories from Seattle, I just love that you can be in the middle of a city and be sitting on the lake at the same time. I also got to watch fireworks in the middle of Lake Union too. Which was completely and utterly kick ass.
            I got my start with photography at the Ballard locks, one of many pretty places in the Seattle area. I inherited a old camera and was taken the next day to the locks to test it out. Who knows if I'd have this much of a passion for photography if that didn't happen.

Quoth Jester View Post
            Some of my East Coast friends did not believe me, but Seattle literally has coffee stands on the street the same way New York City has hot dog carts. It's insane!
            Yea, people didn't believe me either until I showed them the picture I took of a tiny trailer on the side of the road in the middle of bloody nowhere, selling coffee.
            I also found a kangaroo farm in Arlington Washington, it was unexpected yet awesome at the same time.

The only bad part about Washington is their pizza isn't very good. Sorry those of you from Washington, I love your state, but your pizza sucks.
            I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I've always wanted to go to Seattle....and I rarely want to leave New England

And I adore Flagstaff.....used some of the telescopes there.

I like the road trip idea....honeymoons should be an adventure.
              "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
              "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Newburyport, Massachusetts

It is near enough to Boston, Lowell, Salem, Portland Maine, mountains in New Hampshire, the beach, farms, lighthouses and wildlife refuges to visit any of those things as a day trip.

Even though it is not a well-known tourist destination to non-locals, it also has its own museums, tons of restaurants, theaters, festivals and over 300 years of well-preserved architecture.

http://www.newburyportchamber.org/what_to_do.shtml

Hotels cater mostly to local weekenders so I'm pretty sure you can find some deals if you are staying on a weeknight.

The weather in late May up here is gorgeous. May is the time when you will see the most blossoms on trees and shubs in New England, but wwimming at the beach might not be possible (the water will be cold).
                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                  We were tossing around ideas, and the thought of a road trip-style vacation came up. Could be fun?
                  Road trips can be a blast. The obvious advantages are that you always have transpo and that you can do more than one place. The disadvantage is it may take some time to get to where you are going.

If you do decide to road trip, let me know. I have a lot of road warrior experience, and will give you plenty of tips and advice on various aspects of it. And depending on where you go, I may have advice on things to see as well.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

I hate being stuck in the car. Mostly because I get car sick, so I can't read or do stuff on a phone/computer. Occasionally, I can sew for short periods. Mostly I end up talking or sleeping. I also don't really like driving all that much, I find it tedious or, depending on the traffic, nerve-wracking. But I know other people love long drives.

I am terrified of heights, but flying, other than some trepidation the very first time, simply because it was the first time, has always been something I kind of enjoy. If you're not seated next to a window, especially on the larger planes that have 2 aisles and 3 lines of seats, you can't really tell how high up you are. Curiously, looking out the windows in an airplane doesn't scare me the way heights do, say, when I'm looking over the railing of the Empire State Building, the Eiffel Tower, or at Chimney Rock. What I don't like is dealing with the airport, security, crowds, and airlines. You know, all the hassels that surround flying. But if I need to get to somewhere more than an 8 hour drive away, chance are, I'm going to fly.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                      Asheville's on one of my mental short lists, as is Charleston. Also, Williamsburg. As both a history and a performance geek, Colonial Williamsburg just seems like a great place to go.
                      Ok, it's my turn to stump for my home state!

My parents went on their honeymoon to Williamsburg!!! There's lots of moderately priced resorts in the area, and Colonial Williamsburg itself is awesome. Don't forget that Jamestown is nearby, and that's where the very first English colony was. The "inhabitants" of Williamsburg and Jamestown are soooo into the history, and you will learn a lot. Not to mention that it's a beautiful area. It does get touristy, but you'll be among fellow history buffs.

Cheesy as it sounds, their ghost tours are pretty neat. I don't know if you mentioned whether or not you're into theme parks, but the Busch Gardens there is really nice. It's European themed with different "countries" and is the cleanest park I've ever been to. Oh, there's wineries around there too, if you're into that sort of thing. I will be there in June and I can't wait
                      "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Working...
                      X