This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soap Nuts?

Apparently, these mystical, magical fruits have a natural detergent in them. They're chemical free, clean BETTER than normal detergent does, and all you do is put 3-4 of them in a muslin bag and let the wash go. You can also use them for shampoo, conditioner, and anything that requires cleaning.

Me? I'm having a hard time swallowing this... Because that's just plain weird. I should have heard of something like that before if it really worked, right? And a lot of the review from it are from the people that distribute it, which seems fishy. I'd like to believe it, because that would be awesome for me and my irritations (which I only get a reply of, "Stop spending your money and look for a damn driving school!"), and the other recipes for detergent are scaring me off. All the powder mixes that need a soap require a heavy-duty soap that I think would still irritate me, and I really want a liquid soap better.

Aside from that, I do need suggestions on other soaps I could use for my laundry. Because apparently the only thing I should spend money on is driving school (seriously? F**k you).
    My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

We sell them at my place. They release natural saponins, if memory serves. No idea how good they are - I've never used them. However, it depends what you're allergic to. It may be the detergent or the fragrance that affects you - I have no idea. It will be a different soap to what you've used before, and fragrance free.

Our advertising laws over here are, in my experience, somewhat more stringent than those in the US. They work. Not sure how well compared to big name brands, but they work.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      We sell them at my place. They release natural saponins, if memory serves. No idea how good they are - I've never used them. However, it depends what you're allergic to. It may be the detergent or the fragrance that affects you - I have no idea. It will be a different soap to what you've used before, and fragrance free.

Our advertising laws over here are, in my experience, somewhat more stringent than those in the US. They work. Not sure how well compared to big name brands, but they work.

Rapscallion
      Ah. Fragrance doesn't bother me much unless it's that really fake perfumey smell that some soaps have. It's mostly sulfates, and even with a pre-made detergent that takes out all the harsh chemicals, it still bugs me a bit. I'm mostly worried about how long they REALLY last, if that's the case.

Comment

I'd have to look, but I think they're good for about three or four washes per bag, and then you change them for another few soapnuts.

Keep nudging me and I'll look at some packets at work.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          I'd have to look, but I think they're good for about three or four washes per bag, and then you change them for another few soapnuts.

Keep nudging me and I'll look at some packets at work.

Rapscallion
          Will do~ Right now it's just a matter of looking at other things too. The soapnuts look promising if they last long enough and do their work.

Comment

Hm. Interesting. I've developed a sensitivity to sulfates and have switched to home made soap and sulfate free shampoos and whatnot. Mainly, the problem is on my face and scalp, and so far, no problem with my clothes, but then I don't use the amount of detergent the instructions say on the box, either.

Would be good to know if the clothing becomes a problem.

Comment

I'm not gonna say anything.....
              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                Hm. Interesting. I've developed a sensitivity to sulfates and have switched to home made soap and sulfate free shampoos and whatnot. Mainly, the problem is on my face and scalp, and so far, no problem with my clothes, but then I don't use the amount of detergent the instructions say on the box, either.

Would be good to know if the clothing becomes a problem.
                When I get the spare coin I think I'm going to try out this stuff. The only problem is that the cheapest I've seen for the stuff is about $11 for 40-some loads. Which with my other liquid stuff, wouldn't last nearly as long. Considering shipping costs as well... At that point, I'm better off heading to the hour-away Whole Foods and buying another bottle of my old liquid stuff. This seriously wouldn't be such a PITA if I had a store closer to me.

If those things work and last longer than it says, I'll be very happy with it though.

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
                I'm not gonna say anything.....
                But you already did!

Comment

They're not the only natural saponifying plant.

See also the Wikipedia entry for soap substitute plants.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    They're not the only natural saponifying plant.

See also the Wikipedia entry for soap substitute plants.
                    I looked around, and the main thing that people are selling are the soap nuts. Though if I can get my hands on some of this stuff, that wouldn't be bad either. However, I did find a page on how to make plant shampoo with some of them.

Comment

Soap nuts sounds so damn wrong....and when you add that they go in a bag....

Will they eventually be brass-plated like truck nuts?
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Packaging of the 'Living Naturally' brand says that the bag full can be used 3-4 times before losing effectiveness - up to 90 degrees C. When ineffective, they go mushy, soft, thin, tan, grey sort of thing.

I do remember that there was a great flurry of these a while back, but due to a crop failure they disappeared from the market. Looks like they're back.

Rapscallion

Comment

KaySquirrel: A lot of things I like end up being easier to find in the UK. Shame I don't live there. I'm in the US. From what I did read though, is the hotter your wash, the shorter the nuts will last. If I get the chance to get some, the smallest pack I have seen is basically a 1/4 bag which they say will last about 40+ washes.

Thanks for the information! It's always easier to learn about it when some else has tried it.

Comment

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
                            and the other recipes for detergent are scaring me off. All the powder mixes that need a soap require a heavy-duty soap that I think would still irritate me
                            check etsy.com there are soapmakers that peddle their wares(64 loads worth for $8), and most use castile soap which is olive oil based and very gentle. Heck castile soap can be used as toothpaste with no ill effects.

and here is an easy recipe for a liquid laundry soap, also using castile soap, seriously 4 ingredients and water....apparently the person that made the recipe uses it on her baby's cloth diapers and babies have notoriously sensitive skin.
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                              check etsy.com there are soapmakers that peddle their wares(64 loads worth for $8), and most use castile soap which is olive oil based and very gentle. Heck castile soap can be used as toothpaste with no ill effects.

and here is an easy recipe for a liquid laundry soap, also using castile soap, seriously 4 ingredients and water....apparently the person that made the recipe uses it on her baby's cloth diapers and babies have notoriously sensitive skin.
                              Ooh, me likey the recipe. I like the idea of buying stuff off Etsy too, but it's more of the fact that I don't want the hassles of shipping-- I just want to make it real fast or buy it in a store. I guess I'm lazy like that. I only thought of soap nuts because I didn't have a decent recipe on hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X