Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 02-17-2019, 02:25 AM
I'm not bitter. I'm informed.

One thing about calculators: You have to know how to use them. If you don't know whether you need to add or subtract, or when something needs to be multiplied vs. divided, you are going to have problems figuring out if you were paid correctly. It's sad that an awful lot of people these days have no idea how to do these things. And I say this as someone who struggles with math, but at the very least I know to multiply my hours worked by my hourly rate of pay.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:18 AM
Area Manager

"Hey, it's that Brenda bitch from Beverly Hills 9-0...2...C3P0...!" [cookies for ref]

Old 02-18-2019, 10:39 PM
Cashier

Quote:
Quoth crazyofficeclerk View Post
This. So much this. If I say this once a phone shift I say it 20 times. Our clients love to argue with me that they don't get stubs. They think that if they tell us they can't get stubs, we will just say "ok" and move on. Nope.

Also now our state is issuing half of March benefits on 02/22 and the rest on the regular load date. I can't wait for these questions. We have already had the "missing" benefits for February questions. Nope. Your 02/2019 benefits loaded on 01/16/20193, I'm sorry if you spent them.
Don't you just love the ones who say that their gross pay shouldn't matter because we need to use the money they are taking home, so their bank statements should be enough to prove that?

Quote:
Quoth MoonCat View Post
One thing about calculators: You have to know how to use them. If you don't know whether you need to add or subtract, or when something needs to be multiplied vs. divided, you are going to have problems figuring out if you were paid correctly. It's sad that an awful lot of people these days have no idea how to do these things. And I say this as someone who struggles with math, but at the very least I know to multiply my hours worked by my hourly rate of pay.
I'm sorry that you struggle with math. I once knew a person who understood that there were 4 quarters in a dollar but couldn't get the concept that there were also 4 quarters of anything else. She was the WORSE cook in the world because in her world, there was a whole thing and less than a whole thing. Oddly enough, when it came to wacky tabbacy, she got the whole grams/ounces thing.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:41 PM
Retired

Quote:
Quoth MoonCat View Post
We used to have this little plastic calculator thing. I don't know where we got it. It had buttons on top that you pushed down to make the numbers move and do the basic calculations. There was no battery, it was totally analog, more like a toy, really, but it worked. We used to take it to the store for groceries and keep a running total to make sure we didn't go over the cash we had.

Of course, later, we had an actual calculator and did the same thing. I will probably be back to that practice shortly but at least I know that you can't spend more than you have.
When I was a teenager we went through some lean times, so my dad and I did the grocery shopping - my dad because he's so tight he squeaks, and me to keep a running total of what we were buying. I did it with paper and pencil, which worked just fine. We managed to feed a family of 6 on $50 biweekly. Granted, this was the 1970s, but that was still not much even back then.