Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday our storeroom's 'backdoor' starting ringing long after closing. It wasn't a time for deliveries and it wasn't a customer pick up because business hours were over. Then I thought back to this post and didn't answer the door. Eventually the bell stopped ringing and no one came around front where we have windows to see through before we unlock the doors.

I think that this post helped keep us from being robbed!

Comment

Bought a pirate costume at one of those fly-by-night Halloween stores. This wasn't some cheap plastic stick-on thing; this was the real Hollywood deal - velvet jacket, brocaded vest, frill-fronted shirt and high boots with metal buckles. It was mind-blowingly expensive, so naturally, before plunking down about $250 for it, I asked if I could try it on.

The sales clerk seemed puzzled for a moment, as if I'd asked for a small fish, but ultimately led me into a back room and indicated that I could change in THERE. "There" turned out to be a small employee restroom...next to a wide-open exterior door leading straight to the parking lot...with a FAN propping it open. Here I was, all alone in a back room, holding a $250 costume I couldn't really afford and coveted enormously, while surrounded by thousands of dollars' worth of assorted Halloween novelties, and a huge door with a blinking neon sign saying "Escape here." And I'd been LED there.

I'm enough of a wuss that it didn't even occur to me to light out the back door, (though I did think, at the time, "Wow...this is NOT a secure arrangement...") but it did cross my mind, powered by experience, that being in that situation could very well have gotten me in trouble whether I did anything or not.

The pirate costume fit, by the way. And I look fabulous in it. And I kept the damned receipt.

Love, Who?

Comment

The TVs are now upstairs. I moved them up there Friday and arranged them all nice and neat.

Of course, we still have plenty of goodies in the cage, which is protected by--a cheap, crappy $20 hollow lumber door with a not-terribly-secure hasp and padlock on it.

You could kick the door in really easily, or even lean on it a little and it would break.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          You could kick the door in really easily, or even lean on it a little and it would break.
          Dontcha just love the 'Chicken Little' mentality of most managers and corporate?

Or would 'can't see the forest for the trees' be a better analogy/cliche' here?
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Originally our store had a cage for Health and Beauty items. All it was was a 5-6ft tall wall of 2x4s spaced every 24" with chicken wire stapled to it. I should mention the backroom ceiling is probably 14 ft tall and their was no top to it. it was replaced when someone hit it with a palled about destroyed it but not before totes of stuff went missing.

after than they built a storage room with full height walls and an steel doors and a dead bolt.

Comment

Working...
            X