This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to screw up a schedule

Management screwed up the maintenance schedule in a way that there is NOBODY closing for today & tomorrow. The girl that I work with is on vacation this week & she's on the schedule to work even though she put in for vacation some time ago! AND I'm scheduled to be off for today & tomorrow. The person who opens works from 7:00 in the morning to 3:30 in the afternoon. After she leaves then there is NOBODY in maintenance for the rest of the day. Same thing for tomorrow.

We were told it was going to be "red changed" which means changes done in red ink & initialed by us. BUT that never happened!

So is that my fault is there's nobody closing? Nope, I don't think so. Gonna enjoy my 2 days off & if they bitch to me about it then I'm going to tell them that we were told we have to follow the schedule. They make a big stink of us following the posted schedule to the point of obsession. The last time I deviated from the posted schedule management went nuclear on me! It was like being screamed at with them yelling "FOLLOW THE POSTED SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The last time they screwed up the schedule they were forced to have non-maintenance people clean the bathrooms & gather trash & such. People were PISSED. They'll be pissed again.
    Last edited by Bright_Star; 07-06-2009, 05:11 PM.

At my old job we had a 2 hour notification policy on any sick days. Sometimes that was a little hard to do when your shift began at 5 a.m, I mean who the hell gets up at 3 to make sure they're ok to go to work?

So anyway this one girl calls in sick like an hour before her shift starts. Boss gets all pissy about it and writes her up. Later on, when he had to call her in for a shift, she just said "Oh I'm sorry, but I require 2 hours notice. <CLICK!>"

Comment

Quoth DrFaroohk View Post
      At my old job we had a 2 hour notification policy on any sick days. Sometimes that was a little hard to do when your shift began at 5 a.m, I mean who the hell gets up at 3 to make sure they're ok to go to work?

So anyway this one girl calls in sick like an hour before her shift starts. Boss gets all pissy about it and writes her up. Later on, when he had to call her in for a shift, she just said "Oh I'm sorry, but I require 2 hours notice. <CLICK!>"

She ever get in trouble for doing that?

Comment

Quoth DrFaroohk View Post
        "Oh I'm sorry, but I require 2 hours notice. <CLICK!>"
        Lovin' it! Wish I had that kind of courage.

anywho...sounds like the same thing that's happening at the evil corporation. Weird schedules and we have to find coverage for the gaps. Not anymore, I won't. I even told my boss that if I leave at 5pm and the closer is not here until 5:30 too bad. I'm gone and I will NOT grab someone who is not scheduled to be in the lab to cover management stupidity. BTW management went to a new scheduling system where the computer "makes" the schedule and they cannot change it. My beef...if the computer is creating schedules, why are you in the back for 2 hrs doing schedules. Mystery. Plus I've renamed our scheduling program "HAL 2.0". After all, it knows what's in our best interest
        "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth BethB View Post
          BTW management went to a new scheduling system where the computer "makes" the schedule and they cannot change it.
          That translates to the computer makes the schedule, and they don't know enough about how to actually use it to make it make schedules that work.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            That translates to the computer makes the schedule, and they don't know enough about how to actually use it to make it make schedules that work.

^-.-^
            Normally, I call it..."YAY!! She (another manager) is doing schedules so she can't be a pain in our butts for the remainder of her shift". The PITA and my boss(who I like) do the schedules together.
            "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth BethB View Post
              My beef...if the computer is creating schedules, why are you in the back for 2 hrs doing schedules. Mystery. Plus I've renamed our scheduling program "HAL 2.0". After all, it knows what's in our best interest
              "GameStore" did that when I worked there, and it probably still does. The problem is, the system (read: Corporate) had unrealistic expectations of how many people might be required to cover a shift, so the SM had to spend an hour or three each week making up for its inadequacies with the paltry 10-15 hours/ week he was given to "fill in the gaps". As I recall, one of the more blatant stupidities was that it would tend to give ten workers two 3-hour shifts apeice AT CHRISTMAS TIME, rather than allow the SM to spread his best guys out so that all shifts would have at least one "non-manager who REALLY knows his stuff". Note that the aforementioned "fill in the gaps time" would generally balloon from 15 usable hours to 30 at that time (the SM would argue that 50-100 more hours would actually be useful -- From BF thru New Year's, we generally needed 3 cashiers + additional manager + 2 people fixing the walls plus a greeter AT ALL TIMES just to keep up; 'twas a busy store)..when sales, ya know, increase by a factor of ten...It didn't help that hours got allocated based on sales on that DATE from the prior year -- note, not DAY OF WEEK. If a given date was Monday last year and Saturday this year, we would end up with too few people pre-set on Saturday and too many on a slower weekday.

Standard TOTAL allocation of hours there, at the busiest GameStore in the state: 100-115 normal weeks, 120-130 For XMAS season. Pathetic. Note that Corporate also forces stores to hire a ton of extra people during this time. The result: The SM works 80 hours a week (on Salary, so he gets paid for 40), while everybody else, including his best guys, end up with half of their normal hours or less. I was so proud of him the year of Katrina -- he refused to hire more than the 4 extra people he actually needed (rather than the 12 or so corp wanted) ^_^
              Last edited by EricKei; 07-10-2009, 10:50 PM. Reason: It's not a stupid mistake unless you leave it in <g>
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That's why I loved working at the Gaming Store. We had set schedules. I was always 9 AM until 2 PM on Saturdays. That was it.

Comment

Working...
                X