This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick rant

It's considered enough harrassment to move him to another team so she doesn't have to work with him...but not enough harrassment to actually give him a warning or fire him.

And apparently because they were friends before this happened, him pestering her to sleep with him and making inappropriate comments - repeatedly, via email! - is absolutely fine. That's friendship!

RAGH.

[We're just watching from the sidelines; everything we can do has already been done, and it didn't help. We can't take it higher as HR are involved, and they 'helped' with the decision. So I'm just trying to blow off steam.]

*goes to find cookies*
    I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

If the company is claiming that it's outside the bounds of the company, she should log the emails and go to the police. It's sexual harassment.

Comment

I'm wondering about that too. Sounds me like the HR has its collective head up its butt and just doesn't want to deal with the situation.

Comment

She's speaking to a solicitor, and I really hope she does take it further...problem is, she's worried that if that's the company's attitude, it could be a court's attitude as well. It's just a train wreck

Comment

If the harassment is to the point of being illegal, the court can't just ignore it. Companies have ulterior motives for ignoring such things -- too much trouble to produce evidence for court, not wanting to lose a good worker who also happens to be a smelly perv, etc.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
            If the harassment is to the point of being illegal, the court can't just ignore it. Companies have ulterior motives for ignoring such things -- too much trouble to produce evidence for court, not wanting to lose a good worker who also happens to be a smelly perv, etc.
            Doesn't matter what kind of worker he is. Sometimes they think it's easier to put their heads in the sand and hope the complainant will give up and go away. Of course if it doesn't work it'll cost them a lot more.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth houdini View Post
              And apparently because they were friends before this happened, him pestering her to sleep with him and making inappropriate comments - repeatedly, via email! - is absolutely fine. That's friendship!
              No, it's harassment, stalking even. It doesn't matter what kind of relationship they had before. Even if they did use to sleep together - which I gather they didn't - that's not a blanket consent for the rest of her life.

The company's attitude stinks. I take it she's not a member of any union, that could take up the cudgels on her behalf?
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                The company's attitude stinks. I take it she's not a member of any union, that could take up the cudgels on her behalf?
                Unfortunately not Her husband has complained higher up in the company, so I hope something comes of that...it really sucks.

Comment

Also, I know here in the US, a company can be held liable if they KNEW of any wrongdoings of that sort, and didn't take any action. Not sure where you are, but as you used the term soliciter, i know you're not in the US. But my point is, it may be that if it does go to court, they may find that the company didfn't do everything they could or should have.

Comment

What are the laws re: sexual harrassment in your country? What legal responsibility does the company have? I'm thinking a complaint may need to be made higher up the chain than HR...like the company president, director, chairman or whatever the position is called. Citing the law and/or official company policy may be necessary.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X