This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth protege View Post
    I thought about doing that. But, the computer seems to have some motherboard issues--it doesn't always boot up. Plus, I always find myself having to reset the clock...because the battery (which has been replaced, to no avail) doesn't seem to hold the setting. If the board truly is going, I'm reluctant to spend more money on it, especially since it's 8 years old.
    Maybe you have a few bad capacitors, check out this page on how to identify

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

I guess it matters that you know how to solder and buy the caps yourself that need to be replaced, as unless it a super expensive board, he even admits his rates for labor aren't worth fixing some machines. I have the intention of doing this to the computer I got off my boss, just to say I did it. As the caps are completely destroyed from heat. So $15 for a spare comp that better than my linux server that got a 700Mhz pentium 4

Edit:
    Since I had an e-machines board they actually have a kit.... selecting the kit I needed and manually adding the values to my cart saved more than the cost of shipping, and that was with me selecting premium grade for the caps next to the processor then standard grade for the rest.
    Last edited by underemployeed; 05-02-2011, 05:24 AM.
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
      Yep, we have an awesome HP laser printer at work now. Still haven't scrapped the old printer yet, mainly because I don't feel like carrying that beast down the steps to the car. This one is getting cut up for parts--I'd actually try to reuse it, but with the shot fuser, that's not happening.
      So are you going to eventually scrap it for parts / money or
      will you do this?
      Last edited by PepperElf; 05-09-2011, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of this. This piece of crap was once my dad's old Compaq. Since he was constantly bitching to me about how "bad" it was, and after multiple attempts to shut him up, I felt it was only fair that I got to destroy it. After I'd removed the RAM, drives, and some of the cabling. Then I got out the 40-pound fence maul, and beat the shit out of it
        Attached Files
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
        X