Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on here? (Windows updates)

I have Win7, and refuse to 'upgrade' to 10 for assorted reasons (although I did reserve an upgrade and quarantinedump it to a flash drive). I had also been holding off on various system updates following the news of an update that bricks my brand of motherboard until I figured out which update did it...I also tweaked the registry to say I do not want Win10 and don't ask! The fact that my system already downloaded it should be enough to stop them from trying again...

Well, I'm slowly but surely installing the 'critical' updates (none of which will brick my computer, at least for now). I seem to have hit a point where Win10 is still trying to download although the filesize seems much smaller at 2.5MB. That is the first thing to download, and it would seem that it's blocking any further updates from even trying.

Any ideas? I'd love to figure out which KB is the actual W10 download and be able to skip it..better yet, it would be awesome if I could somehow find out exactly what each update does (I'm betting some updates are for programs/services that I never use and have disabled).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Well...there's one thing I can note, even if I dunno about those mini-updates: That backup probably won't do you any good.

I tried upgrading one of the comps at my bro's office where they wanted to try it -- and natch, they didn't let me know until the last minute. They didn't care about timing or anything, so they had me swing by at closing time on the final allowable day, start the install procedure, type in the requested info, and then told me to go home to let it do its thing unattended. They asked me to come by in the morning to check on it (again, not a priority). The system promptly rolled right back to 7 AFTER installing 10 because part of the "free upgrade" requirement was having fully completed the installation (to the point of reaching the standard "Welcome"/Login screen) before midnight, which required one final, manual reboot (where the others had been automatic). No free win10 in that case; I suspect the same may be true for you. Just a heads-up.

On the other hand, if you've actually installed it and then immediately rolled it back to 7 (and just didn't mention it), then A) the rollback works just fine and B) you are considered to own a full, independent copy of 10 at that point. Still linked to your mobo's hardware ID (or something) tho.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I haven't installed it, but mom's laptop got 'infected' and rolled back. I figure if I haven't touched the flash drive (now sporting a Yellow Sign scribbled by a friend) by now I never will.

I also forgot to mention my current system is a dual boot (Win7 and Ubuntu). Could that be causing the 'upgrade' to fail as well? Not that I care about 10, I just want to be able to get the other updates that it's not letting through. Should I just let it upgrade and roll back (if I still can)?
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Well, as with any OS update, prep for it under the assumption that it will wipe the entire HD (even if it "shouldn't"...), as you never know when a vaguely-worded prompt will cause an issue.

For dual-boot -- Check on forums for your specific flavor of Ubuntu. The people there would likely be much more experienced with such setups than most, and -- most importantly -- will almost certainly know *in which order* the OS's will need to be installed.

Once you're in a position to try, go ahead and attempt the install. In my experience, it's easy enough to roll back. Also, MS allows you to download an updated installer from their site. When you're doing the w10 install, it will attempt to "phone home" in order to verify your hardware info (and make sure the mobo matches...I think; not sure exactly what it checks). If it can verify ownership that way, it shouldn't even ask for an installation keycode.

In my case...I was using 7 for soooo long, and once it got sunsetted, my choices were to move to 8/8.1 *shudder* or take a chance on 10. I chose the lesser of two evils, and just clamped it down with O&O ShutUp10, for starters Been working fine for me -- at least, as well as 7 -- for a good year and a half now. Only had to "reinstall/refresh" once (a couple of weeks ago), and I normally do a nuke & pave yearly >_> Even that was, in part, due to the major massive updates in the past couple of months causing DLL conflicts.

It has a built-in feature that essentially lets you "reset" Windows without affecting your files (it wipes all of your programs, but leaves their files intact outside of the Program Files and Program Files x86 folder trees). So I didn't even have to nuke my drive this time.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
        X