Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Practice Your Candidacy for a Darwin Award ELSEWHERE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sms001 View Post
    Must admit it took me a second or two to figure this one out. uh, yeah, oxygen and fire don't mix.

They get on like a house on fire.

Lots of screaming and property damage.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth suburbandecay View Post
      I hate to say it, but I think I can top this. When I worked at FedEx, we paid a third party to fuel our equipment. This included everything from Semis, to Tugs to Air craft. When he came into the the office at the end of the night to get receipts signed, he reeked of fuel. They used to catch him out on the tarmac smoking in his truck. And this includes the truck that pumps Jet A.
      Jet A is actually hard to light, a cig won't (usually) do it. 100LL however, yeah. Even our 100 gallon fuel spill they were more worried about environmental effects than fire. Smoking inside the SIDA was a fire on the spot offense where I worked.

Quoth Panacea View Post
      Might not have been one. It's well known that pure oxygen saturates cloth; when lit it burns very quickly. That's why smoking in hospitals is now verboten, not just because the spark can start a flash in the smokers face, but if the cannula has been lying in the bed any (it often does) the pillow and bedding get saturated and are actually the greatest danger in case of a fire.
      Nasal cannula melts quite well to the face. The same idiot then tried to light up after we put a mask on him. I was almost tempted to let him, it was clear he wasn't going to learn. It was a brand new ambulance though
      Last edited by kpzra; 08-27-2012, 05:44 AM. Reason: multi quote hates me

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
        Nasal cannula melts quite well to the face. The same idiot then tried to light up after we put a mask on him. I was almost tempted to let him, it was clear he wasn't going to learn. It was a brand new ambulance though

My mom learned that after re-lighting a cigarette that had gone out on it's own as she had dozed off and still had the nasal tubes still on.

That was a pleasant way to wake up that day.

Still one of those stories I tell to folks. Usually the opening line is "Reminds me of the time my mom set her face on fire."

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
          Jet A is actually hard to light, a cig won't (usually) do it. 100LL however, yeah. Even our 100 gallon fuel spill they were more worried about environmental effects than fire. Smoking inside the SIDA was a fire on the spot offense where I worked.
          That's what I had heard before, but to double up the insanity he was "working around" the no smoking on the tarmac rule by smoking in his truck. IT just seems like a no brainer to smoke in or around something that reeks of any kind of fuel.

Comment

Quoth suburbandecay View Post
            That's what I had heard before, but to double up the insanity he was "working around" the no smoking on the tarmac rule by smoking in his truck. IT just seems like a no brainer to smoke in or around something that reeks of any kind of fuel.
            Reminds me of a scene (I believe it was from "Baa Baa Black Sheep") where some fighter pilots were catching a ride in a long-range search&rescue plane. One was taking a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket and asked a crew member "Where's the gas tank on this plane?". Crew member said "You're sitting on it". Fighter pilot put cigarettes back in his pocket.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

KC-153's are like that, over 31,000 gallons of Jet-A in the tank. They come up to Alaska in the summer full of pax, one was complaining about the smell. Umm, duh, it's GOING to smell. You just got a free round trip flight to Alaska from the Lower 48, STFU and be happy, SIR.

Comment

Working...
              X