This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing My Job On Friday

Well, my mall has been up for sale for about a year, but deals keep falling through. We really expected to have a little more heads-up for if it finally sold though.

Well, today I learned this newest sale will be final on Friday, meaning my last day of work will be tomorrow. The new owners are hiring an out-of-house security company. I'll get my last pay check along with my unused PTO on the usual pay day. Now, there's a chance the new security company will hire us on, but the deal is if we accept the termination and don't hire with the new company, we get a severance package. If we accept the termination and get hired with the security company, then we'll be out of work for 2-weeks while we're trained to their standards. If we accept the termination, are offered a job with the new company and decline, we lose the severance package. So I have 2-days to decide, pretty much. I did some research on the company, it's huge and reputable, but it looks like I might be taking a 2$ paycut. And I don't know what the insurance is like or when it would kick-in, as my current insurance will also end on Friday.

"If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I'm so sorry. I wish you luck with whatever you do.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

So sorry to hear this, best of luck to you!

Comment

then we'll be out of work for 2-weeks while we're trained to their standards
        Check your local laws.

I'm not entirely sure that they can demand you train for free.

Comment

I'm so sorry I hope whatever you decide works out for the best for you.
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Update:

So the sale is pushed-back a week. I interviewed with the company they're bringing in (spent 3 hours doing a resume) today. They were impressed and offered me a job as shift lead at 1$ more than they were originally offering. Insurance also seems comparable, but I'll still have a 3-month lapse in coverage. I have the opportunity to self-study and get better positions, and cross-train on other properties and will get paid $2 more if I have to fill-in for someone. I'm pretty much hired as soon as background check is complete and I do the online application as a formality. The new security manager and mall manager seem like good people and stated they will back-up our decisions on the property. As soon as my job with the property terminates, I'm back on the next day shift as a member of this new company. So, it was stressful, but seems to have opened up a lot of new opportunities. I'm nervous about being a shift lead though, as I don't know what responsibilities I'll have and don't know if my fellow coworkers will listen to me after we've all be equals for 2+ years. As far as I know, I have been the only one of a dozen offered this; but I was also only one of 2 to submit a resume. The new mall manager's eyebrows actually popped and said my resume was 'impressive.' Warm fuzzies! She seems tough, but fair.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Great news! Congratulations!

Comment

I hope it works out.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Hope this works out for you!

Comment

Yay! Good luck...sound like it will be fine

Comment

YEEEEEES!!!!!!! that is so awesome!!!

I was a little worried for you! I guess whatever/whomever is actually in charge of these things really does open a window when a door closes!!!!!

You rock!!!
                      "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                        Insurance also seems comparable, but I'll still have a 3-month lapse in coverage.
                        You're still eligible for COBRA coverage. Tell HR you want to sign up for COBRA, submit the paperwork but not the check. As long as you don't use the coverage you can keep it without paying the premium. If something happens, pay the premium right away, and you'll be covered.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Just popped in for an update. Wishing you the best.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Good luck! I glad it semi worked out so far.

Comment

Good luck!
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X