Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Useless? Maybe. P*ssed off? Definitely! (long!!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useless? Maybe. P*ssed off? Definitely! (long!!)

Ok, so there are 3 long parts to this, and I apologize ahead of time for the epic length...

So..Part 1
    My Monday-Friday job is treating pediatric burns. In most cases the parents of our patients are awesome. We treat outpatient and inpatient burns and wounds, and most of the time we are able to soothe both the child and the family, treat the burns successfully and everyone is happy (of course this isn't always the case and we see your share of situations that end up involving Child Protective Services and clear cases of abuse, self mutilation, burns requiring surgery and serious, life-altering scarring, etc...). Because the parents we see tend to be carrying a huge load of guilt, the relief they feel when everything goes well is pretty tremendous, and they are usually very grateful. I have met some pretty awesome parents doing this job and I love bonding with them. This will be important later, I promise....
    Ok, Part 2
    So a few weeks ago I am at work in the Hotel lounge. There is a conference for City Employees going on, and,at one point a gentleman comes into the lounge and starts asking me questions about what we have (this is kind of annoying as he is staring right over my shoulder at the exact items he is asking about, but...meh. Normal suck, not worth getting het up over). During this conversation his wife comes over and joins him. Now, to set the scene, it is completely empty in the lounge, extremely quiet, and I am standing directly across the bar from these 2. We can clearly hear each other, and we are close enough to poke each other in the shoulder if we were of a mind to do so. (or the eye)
    So I greet Wifey in a friendly way and ask her if she would like anything. Wifey looks at me for a few seconds and then turns to her husband, who is actually standing further away from her than I am, and says "Does SHE have any vodka?"
    Ok......Right. So, you're an asshole then? Good to know, now I don't have to wonder about it. Phew!

THIS is one of my greatest pet peeves. In all the service jobs I've worked, nothing makes me see red more than someone who refuses to even acknowledge the smudge of scum who is only there to serve them, and clearly isn't a human being in any way. Well you know what b*tch-cakes? If you want a f*cking drink, you are going to have to deign to speak to me. It's pretty easy. Open up your word-hole and say "Shalom" Use your big girl voice. Ass.

Me
    : We do indeed have vodka, as we are a fully licensed lounge (you f*cking idiot). Here is a menu with all of our drinks.
    Wifey bobbles her head back to me and stares at me in total shock. Goodness!! It's like the family pet has started speaking! Call the media!!! She then wobbles her big dumb face down to the menu, picks it up BETWEEN TWO FINGERS LIKE IT'S CONTAMINATED and then drops it back on the bar without even opening it.
    Wifey then says to her husband "Does she have Absolut?"
    Oh dear god. I have a Martini strainer and a lemon zester in easy reach. And you just made. the. Kill. List.
    Me: Why yes, we do have several flavors of Absolut, they are listed in the menu and also right behind me on the shelf.
    Wifey (to husband, of course): Does she have Peach?
    OK, now I am done.I busy myself wiping down the counter and totally ignore her. After a few seconds, her husband snaps at me

"HELLO? She's asking you a question!"

Me: "Oh, I'm sorry, she seemed to want all her info through you, so I just thought I would let you two work it out.

This is the closest I've come to snotting off to a customer and it would be enough to get me fired as our hotel is very into "Excellent Service, above and beyond for the customer, blah blah blah" but right now I don't care.

Hubby: Do you HAVE any PEACH Absolut vodka??? " of course, he's completely exasperated at my idiocy right now. My goodness, I am a terrible servant.
    Me: No, I'm very sorry, we have Raspberry, Mango, Citron, Lemon, Vanilla and Pear flavors but no Peach.
    Wifey: "Oh just forget it! This is just a waste of time. We're going to be LATE now!"
    Husband stays a moment longer to try and find out if he can still buy a drink and take it into the conference with him (Answer? No.) But she comes stomping back, grabs his arm and actually hisses at me "This girl is a just a waste of time!"
    So...wow. I ws actually kind of stunned at the level of venom that came from this bitch. I hate to say it but it made me tear up a little bit, it was just so unnecessary.

Part 3
    So, now fast forward about 7 weeks. I am paged to help with a new burn and guess who the parents are??? Yes indeed, Mr and Mrs Entitled have survived their brush with incompetence and Absolut deprivation and here they are.
    So, fortunately things go well with the treatment, their daughter is adorable and seems susceptible to my brand of making fart noises, shadow puppets and shiny bracelets as distraction. She also chews on my hair a little bit too, but it's all good.
    Mom and dad keep giving me these strange looks, and it's clear that they recognize me but have NO idea from where. This is made doubly obvious by the fact that they are pleasant, grateful and respectful, thanking me for everything I am doing for their daughter.
    So finally, we finish the dressing, the therapist who I work with (B) goes to get the computer to book the next patient and the Mom finally says to me "You look SO familiar. I feel like we've met before!"
    Me: Biggest, fakest sh*t eating grin you have ever seen plastered over my face: "Oh, that's because we have!"
    Both: " Oh REALLY? Where? Do you work in emergency as well???"
    Me: No, I also work at (hotel) lounge.
    I watch as the realization dawns on them. My god! I am the same useless piece of garbage that wasn't even deserving to be spoken to directly only a few weeks ago! How is this possible???
    So, B comes back in and is happily rebooking them, with no idea of what's going on.
    Mr and Mrs Entitled turn to leave and then Wifey stops and says to me "Thank you so much for your help today! You made it so much easier for (daughter)"
    Me: "Oh that's so good to hear! I'd hate to think I was just being USELESS!"
    The awesome part is that I managed to say it in such a friendly, sincere sounding way that it hardly even sounded bitchy, unless you knew the situation. but it did the trick. They scampered out of there like their *sses were on fire and the rest was catching!
    The sad thing is, I know for a fact they didn't learn any kind of a lesson from it. They will just file it away in their stupid, petulant little brains and never think of it again.
    Le sigh.
    Last edited by I am the Lizard Queen!!; 08-30-2012, 11:57 PM.
    "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Unless a gang of bartenders came to their house and started beating up puppies - I got no idea where that vitrol would come from.

Comment

Yeah, no kidding. But that could be said about so many SC's discussed on this site!
      I think she was genuinely pissed off that I stopped answering her questions, even though she was looking at her husband, and addressing them towards her husband and in no way acknowledging my existence, except to splash a bunch of snotty-attitude in my direction.
      The whole "useless" thing was actually pretty tough. I don't understand why people let themselves go there, and it left me feeling really upset....
      "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

Wow! She was a grade A bitch. And I think you handled it extremely well.
        I hope her daughter turns out better then her.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth I am the Lizard Queen!! View Post
          But she comes stomping back, grabs his arm and actually hisses at me "This girl is a just a waste of time!"
          In case you didn't notice, this is the key to the entire exchange. Wifey wasn't looking at you as a peon; she was jealous of you. Unconsciously reacting to you as a rival for her husband. It may have manifested as treating you as "below her", but that's not the root cause.

Comment

You know, I'm not entirely sure they will file it away and forget it. I think it just might sink far enough into their little pea brains that it might -- might -- make them pause before being pukey to somebody else ... because they are now aware that there's no telling when they might meet that person again, or under what circumstances. The fact that they scuttled out so fast when the light dawned suggests that their encounter with you at the burn unit really hit home.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              You know, I'm not entirely sure they will file it away and forget it. I think it just might sink far enough into their little pea brains that it might -- might -- make them pause before being pukey to somebody else ... because they are now aware that there's no telling when they might meet that person again, or under what circumstances. The fact that they scuttled out so fast when the light dawned suggests that their encounter with you at the burn unit really hit home.
              I sincerely hope so. It would be nice if customers would figure out that the person behind the counter is not some slave-caste subhuman, but indeed just as human and has the same rights as they do.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

awesome pwnage.

and, proof that it's best to not be a jackass or act superior to the employee like that... cos you never know, that employee you're trying to browbeat may be someone who's actually smarter than you who's just working another job for extra $.

pediatric burns
                That phrase makes me

I am glad you can help the children (and parents) through such an ordeal.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  awesome pwnage.

and, proof that it's best to not be a jackass or act superior to the employee like that... cos you never know, that employee you're trying to browbeat may be someone who's actually smarter than you who's just working another job for extra $.
                  Or your next boss - in this economy who knows where any of us will be working next week?
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

You got them soooo good. I'm sorry the little one had to visit you, but, hey, payback, right?
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Oh wow. The pwnage was so awesome, and the fact that you still were an awesome human being about it all? Double-awesome. The fact you do an amazing, self-less job like that - MEGA Awesome. Mad props LizardQueen
                      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                      What's the difference?
                      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

They had it coming.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I can almost imagine the thought process....

"Some people have to have...two jobs!?" =O

Comment

Quoth I am the Lizard Queen!! View Post
                            Wifey (to husband, of course): Does she have Peach?
                            OK, now I am done.I busy myself wiping down the counter and totally ignore her. After a few seconds, her husband snaps at me

"HELLO? She's asking you a question!"
                            "Sounded to me like she was asking you a question, sir."

Oh, and this reminded me of something.

From the novel 1633, by Eric Flint et al. The basic premise is that a town in West Virginia has traveled back in time and landed in 17th century Germany in the middle of the 30 Years War.

"They simply call her 'the American Lady.' That's 'Lady' with a capital L, John. You can hear it in the way they say the word. And do you know why they call her that? It's not because of her table manners, I can assure you of that. They wouldn't know whether she was using the right fork or not themselves. No, the reason's simple. It's because your servant Hilde is one of them, and they know how she treats her servant. She says 'please' and 'thank you,' and—most important of all—she looks at Hilde when she says it." ( . . . )

Simpson didn't really understand. It was obvious in the blank look on his face.

"You just don't get it, John. You still think—you and Mary both—that these noblemen are just this world's version of your old familiar upper crust. Well, they're not. They've got all the vices, oh, yeah, in spades—but damn few of the virtues."

His smile was very thin, now. "Virtues, mind you, which you only have because we beat them into you, over the centuries. Often enough with blood and iron. Usually our blood and your iron, but blood always wins out. If nothing else, it'll rust iron."

Still, incomprehension. Mike almost sighed. Give it up, will you? The man is what he is, and you can live with that. Just explain it to him. ( . . . )

"When a [17th Century] German nobleman or noblewoman addresses a servant, John, they do not say 'please' or 'thank you.' In fact, they don't even address them at all. They summon the servant and never look at them. Simply gaze at the wall, as if the servant does not exist, and give their orders in the third person. 'He will bring us tea.' 'She will clean the bedroom.' "

Simpson's eyes almost crossed. "You're kidding!"

"No, he is not," said Torstensson. "Such is indeed the custom."
                            I couldn't imagine this happening in real life, but it seems there are such people still around. And the way they booked it out the door seems to indicate that they knew they f'd up. It remains to be seen why they realize they shouldn't have treated you that way: whether it's because it was impolite, or because it's unwise to piss off the one who is helping your injured child. Not that anyone in your line of work would dream of visiting the sins of the SC parents on the children, but a parent who's habitually that rude might just believe that anyway.
                            Last edited by Shalom; 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                              Or your next boss - in this economy who knows where any of us will be working next week?
                              Or, as I've heard it described, "The toes you step on on your way up the ladder are connected to the ass you'll need to kiss on your way down".
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X