This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown

One week today I will be redundant. Replaced by a computer.

I loved being a projectionist. But the 35mm projectors have been replaced by digital ones and my job has become a one of button of button pushing and baby-sitting electronics.

I've been job hunting since Christmas but haven't had a lot of luck. I have one interview and have second one in 10 ten days time.

I am thoroughly disheartened.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

I'm going to miss the stories.

Comment

Cinema guy, I hope something comes up in the next few days, or the next couple of weeks at most. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes.

6 days to go.

Comment

4 films didn't start properly tonight. Out of around 16 that began while I was on shift.

I wish I was around to see management cope with that on a busy Saturday night when there are no projectionists.

Comment

^^ that right there is karma. *laughs manically* Not that it'd probably chance anything.
            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
              ^^ that right there is karma. *laughs manically* Not that it'd probably chance anything.
              Ditto that!!!! muahahahaha

Good luck with the continuing search, cinema guy!

Comment

5 days to go.

Day off today. I haven't had a lot of enthusiasm for anything much.

Comment

3 days to go.

My mood is significantly better, mainly thanks to my gf cheering me up. But I did have a sleepless night last night.

I am quite enjoying my last few shifts, but maybe that's because I am spending a lot of time reading.

Comment

It was my last day today. Since the kids are back at school, our first film wasn't till 3pm. So I had time to do a thorough print check on Lawless (ie watch it through), which was quite entertaining.

I got a nice card and a book token. The GM wished me good luck and said he was sorry it had to end this way.

7 years.

Comment

sorry technology is great but it's replacing humans and that's not good.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I have a week from tomorrow left at my job - i know exactly how you feel... I've been looking since they told me; been sending out over 20 resumes a week... had 3 interviews - and nothing!

being eliminated due to budget constraints and the fact that they just don't have enough work for me...

and in 3 weeks they'll call me asking me to come in and take care of XYZ i'm sure... at which point I will have to inform them that my contract rates have gone up....
                        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                          and in 3 weeks they'll call me asking me to come in and take care of XYZ i'm sure
                          Can't they zip their pants themselves?

XYZ = eXamine Your Zipper
                          Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
                            Can't they zip their pants themselves?
                            No, because they will almost certainly forget to remove the broomsticks they have shoved up there first...
                            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                              sorry technology is great but it's replacing humans and that's not good.
                              ... It sucks to be on the losing end of the job. And the OP has my sympathy. But I'm going to have to disagree with this. I don't want to live in a society where 85%+ of the people work on farms. And technology replacing workers stretches back at least to the luddites, if not beyond. I wish there was a less painful way to make the transition to new technologies. But I don't want to see progress stopped because of the pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X